Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rolling Stones

Default The Rolling Stones

Not sure if there is already a thread about them, but I have been getting into their music a lot more lately.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: The Rolling Stones

Oh geesh EL -you don't want to get me started on this group. I don't know how much you've gotten into them so far but my favorite albums for them are Some Girls (good good stuff here/not a bad track on this one-includes Beast Of Burden, Shattered, Miss You, the male ego at it's best on the title track & the honky tonk Girl With Far Away Eyes), Sticky Fingers (Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Dead Flowers & Sister Morphine) and Through The Past, Darkly- Big Hits Vol. 2 (great old psychedelic stuff-She's A Rainbow, Mother's Little Helper, 2000 Light Years From Home, Honky Tonk Woman and the list goes on...).

This is my husband's favorite band for a reason. I've always liked them but once I met my husband there was no escaping their music!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Here we go again, Willie. We can now oscillate between Zeppelin and the Stones. I will do my usual trick of 'Top 10' stuff.

Albums (I don't have any of the early 60s albums):

1. Sticky Fingers (perfect)
    2. Beggars Banquet
    3. Tattoo You (this might surprise some but there isn't a bad track on it)
    4. Let It Bleed
    5. Some Girls
    6. A Bigger Bang (the most recent album is full of great songs)
    7. Steel Wheels
    8. Voodoo Lounge
    9. Exile On Main Street (overrated)

I can in fact only do 9. I have Goats Head Soup but it isn't good enough to be on this list. I have scattered tracks from other albums like Undercover, Emotional Rescue as well as High Tide & Green Grass & Through the Past Darkly but I don't include compilations in Top 10s.

My Top 20 songs is easy, however:

1. Sympathy For The Devil
    2. Honky Tonk Women
    3. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    4. Brown Sugar
    5. Bitch
    6. Start Me Up
    7. Street Fighting Man
    8. Angie
    9. Wild Horses
    10. Paint It, Black
    11. Jumpin' Jack Flash
    12. Let It Bleed
    13. Gimme Shelter
    14. Dead Flowers
    15. You Got The Silver
    16. Let's Spend The Night Together
    17. Sweet Virginia
    18.19th Nervous Breakdown
    19. Miss You
    20. Rain Fall Down (the most recent song)

I could add others because there are so many of their songs that I love so much. I got to see them in 1995 - they were awesome. The big screens showing the audience singing 'you make a grown man cry'!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_NFjWgJyaU[/ame]

I love Start Me Up.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrW0gjdr6O0&feature=related[/ame]

Only interviewing three of them here but Wow.

Kudos to you Julie for even trying to name favorites because I am un able to do that because there are so many and they are constantly changing for me. And what you said about not including compilations--Larry & I were just joking about how many of those the Stones have at the record show the other day. We have finally quit buying those because every time we think we have them all, we find one we didn't know about. I did, however, include Through The Past Darkly in my top 3 above because I just love it-the early stuff and I love the original album cover in the hexagon shape.

And when listing songs on my favorite albums, how did I leave Bitch off of Sticky Fingers? Geez!!! Thanks for reminding me of that one.

Hubby has seen them several times but I've only seen them once in December of 1989 for Steel Wheels. I remember the month because I had just found out I was pregnant 2 weeks prior to that. What a show it was. One of the things I remember the most about it was when they kicked into Honky Tonk Women, these gigantic blow up dolls (probably 2 stories high each) appeared on each end of the stage. I also remember Mick running around like a maniac up and down ramps, back and forth over the stage. I realized why the guy has always been so skinny.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    I also remember Mick running around like a maniac up and down ramps, back and forth over the stage. I realized why the guy has always been so skinny.
    He's still just as thin, too! He was on the R & R Hall of fame concert and really boogied with Fergie!

I love the Stones, too! I've only seen them once, for their most recent tour, but what a show! As far as picking favorites, it's so hard! Angie, Wild Horses, and Gimme Shelter would be at the top of the list.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohEz13V1Vhk&feature=related[/ame]

This man could be mistaken for a pirate most days

I loved all the Pirates movies but I couldn't wait for the last one after I found out about Keith playing Jack Sparrow's dad in it. LOVED IT!!!!

Hey EL--For such a young thing, I of course have noticed how much you love the old bands and how you seem to keep discovering new ones....off topic for this thread but how do you feel or have you discovered Pink Floyd yet? I've been meaning to ask you and wonder if I'd be the only one to talk about them if a new thread was added. Thoughts?

Not really. They're ok, but not my cup of tea