Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Long Run - Alternate

Default Re: The Long Run - Alternate

I'm one of those that always thought TLR was an underrated album. For me, it's my second favorite after HC, at least lately.

I'd have to think but there would only be one or two songs at most I'd replace.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Out on the Border DiscoStrangler's Avatar

I think TLR stands well on it's own. I know critics felt like the album wasn't that great, but I'm not a big fan of critics anyway.

All I know is, I purchased a vinyl version recently, and I've listened to it over and over again. To me, that album really epitomes what the Eagles were: they could rock, they could be slow, they could write with feeling, and they could tell a story. Not to mention, how many bands have multiple guys that can handle lead vocals? Not many that I can think of!

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoStrangler View Post
    To me, that album really epitomes what the Eagles were: they could rock, they could be slow, they could write with feeling, and they could tell a story. Not to mention, how many bands have multiple guys that can handle lead vocals? Not many that I can think of!
    It also epitomises to me what the Eagles were during The Long Run years - tired, bereft of all drive, creativity and camaraderie and utterly willing to put out any old tat just to get the job done

I will say more generally though, I think by and large every Eagles album does the rock, slow, feeling, story, multi-vocal set-up; arguably the earlier period more so as whilst you have increasing elements of mainstream rock in their work, you are also laden with the country that catapulted them into the stratosphere in the first place, something which is very definitely missing from the Long Run. I would say however that TLR did the dark, cold, sombre stuff way better than any other album (King of Hollywood, ICTYW, The Sad Cafe etc).

Welcome by the way

Stuck on the Border

TLR - I agree. TLR has three of my least favorite songs ever - TS, GDWNF, and TJ. You can tell they were all just filler and put on that album because they had nothing else to use. In their prime those songs would never have made that album.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    TLR - I agree. TLR has three of my least favorite songs ever - TS, GDWNF, and TJ. You can tell they were all just filler and put on that album because they had nothing else to use. In their prime those songs would never have made that album.
    Yeah those songs, at least GDWNF and TJ are awful. I actually like Those Shoes for the most part.

Hard to believe that this was only one album removed from HC, and all the righteous indignation about Felder's voice not being up to par, and such. Maybe they'd have been better off giving Felder a lead on HC and saving one of those songs for TLR.

Border Troubadour

I will say for all of my disdain for The Long Run, I don't think it is a bad album per se. I just think it is hamstrung monumentally by how utterly spent the band, Henley in particular and Frey especially, was, and how that manifested itself in the form of the three most blatant instances of filler in their entire career.

I get that The Disco Strangler is Henley's attempt at satire, a sort of middle finger to disco music, but for the love of god, if you are going to mock something at least make it bearable. The music is awful and for someone with an English degree and the calibre of The Last Resort, A Month of Sundays and Waiting in the Weeds in him; the lyrics are dreadful too.

Teenage Jail is an awkward mix of decent guitar work on the outro and then fairly tepid other contents. I am sure I have read somewhere in the past that Glenn recorded the synth solo as a joke of sorts, then it actually made the cut of the final song. If that is true then that for me embodies what is wrong with the song, its a mix of drumming, guitar, synth and shared vocals lead, none of which seem to fit coherently together.

Greeks is a strange one for me. I like the song, it's good fun and nice and punchy, but I have to be honest, it is Olympic grade filler; it isn't worthy of mention in the same breath as Heartache Tonight or The Sad Cafe.

Those Shoes and The Long Run aren't my favourite songs (the latter is my permanent nomination for most overrated Eagles song), but compared to the above three, they sound like Beethoven compositions. The JW solo version of In the City I think is greatly superior to the Eagles' cover (thank god it picks up live). The final four of Heartache Tonight, ICTYW, The Sad Cafe and King of Hollywood I think are superb, up to the standard of and be than half of the the Hotel California album.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I will say for all of my disdain for The Long Run, I don't think it is a bad album per se. I just think it is hamstrung monumentally by how utterly spent the band, Henley in particular and Frey especially, was, and how that manifested itself in the form of the three most blatant instances of filler in their entire career.

I get that The Disco Strangler is Henley's attempt at satire, a sort of middle finger to disco music, but for the love of god, if you are going to mock something at least make it bearable. The music is awful and for someone with an English degree and the calibre of The Last Resort, A Month of Sundays and Waiting in the Weeds in him; the lyrics are dreadful too.

Teenage Jail is an awkward mix of decent guitar work on the outro and then fairly tepid other contents. I am sure I have read somewhere in the past that Glenn recorded the synth solo as a joke of sorts, then it actually made the cut of the final song. If that is true then that for me embodies what is wrong with the song, its a mix of drumming, guitar, synth and shared vocals lead, none of which seem to fit coherently together.

Greeks is a strange one for me. I like the song, it's good fun and nice and punchy, but I have to be honest, it is Olympic grade filler; it isn't worthy of mention in the same breath as Heartache Tonight or The Sad Cafe.

Those Shoes and The Long Run aren't my favourite songs (the latter is my permanent nomination for most overrated Eagles song), but compared to the above three, they sound like Beethoven compositions. The JW solo version of In the City I think is greatly superior to the Eagles' cover (thank god it picks up live). The final four of Heartache Tonight, ICTYW, The Sad Cafe and King of Hollywood I think are superb, up to the standard of and be than half of the the Hotel California album.
    I've finally found someone who agrees with me on that.

I like TDS but the complete lack of backing vocals on it is perhaps its worst feature. And TJ did not need a second lead vocal. There is little enough of Glenn's voice on this album without emphasising it by having one of his leads shared. For those who say KOH is shared too, yes, but Glenn has a distinctive part which parallels the main part. They seem to think they are obliged to have Henley sing in TJ.

Wow, not much love for The Long Run, lol. While it had it's filler, it also produced some of the very best Eagles songs. I'll listen to The Long Run with it's fillers before I'll listen to Desperado(album). It's subjective but I prefer the later Eagles.

I personally always felt the opposite - the title track was underrated amongst the other Eagles songs. It had a funky beat, Memphis groove, and just a good singalong feel good song. Some say it reminds them of the "Tryin' To Live My Life Without You" song, and while it has that Memphis sound, I don't think it's a copy.

And Those Shoes? OMG it is right up there in my top 5 at this point. I love the mood and the energy and of course the talk box duel solos. I really think it has to be the most underrated Eagles song of all time, even more than my beloved VOL.

I'm going to try to play along in my own way. I'm going to bold the songs I like, and not bold the ones I would be ok with replacing. But I love this album.

1. The Long Run
    2. I Can't Tell You Why
    3. In The City
    4. The Disco Strangler
    5. King Of Hollywood
    6. Heartache Tonight
    7. Those Shoes
    8. Teenage Jail
    9. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    10. The Sad Cafe

So other than 4 songs, I really love the album. I can list Eagles albums where I like a LOT less songs on it, so for me I'd say it's in my top 3 Eagles albums TBH.

Stuck on the Border

Hi WF - I know HC and TLR are your two favorite albums. I myself have always liked the title song. However, can't say the same thing for the other three I listed. I agree with 1, 2, 3, 6 and 10. I'm so-so about KOH - I don't dislike but not crazy about it either. On a side note, I have always liked the Desperado album. However, I know it is not
    r & r enough for you.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 09-21-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Hi WF - I know HC and TLR are your two favorite albums. I myself have always liked the title song. However, can't say the same thing for the other three I listed. I agree with 1, 2, 3, 6 and 10. I'm so-so about KOH - I don't dislike but not crazy about it either. On a side note, I have always liked the Desperado album. However, I know it is not
    r & r enough for you.
    Exactly. For me the first two albums other than Take It Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Witchy Woman, and Desperado, do nothing for me. Maybe Out Of Control from Desperado. I was not a fan of the rest, including Tequila Sunrise.

I'm not a classic/traditional country fan and a large part of the first two albums were that sound with the occasional rock leaning. But for me it's kind of boring. The only reason I like Desperado is because of the lyric content.

On The Border was kinda the turning point for me. I loved Already Gone, Good Day In Hell, James Dean, The Best Of My Love, although it had some songs that were still too country for me.

One Of These Nights really for me was a mixed bag but I liked it better than the first two albums. I loved One Of These Nights, Take It To The Limit, and After The Thrill Is Gone. I've never been a fan of Lyin' Eyes. Much like Tequila Sunrise, the lyric content doesn't keep my attention.

Hotel California is where they really hit their pinnacle. Most if not all of the country stuff I hated was removed, and a lot of rock and roll brought in. The masterpiece.

The Long Run ceased to have any country tunes, and maybe that's why I have to throw it a bone.

I love modern/today's/new/contemporary country but only because it now sounds like rock and RNB. It doesn't have that twangy guitar sound and boring lyrics. It has some distortion on the guitar and some uptempo lyrics on the rocking songs and nice clean Hendrix-y guitar and smooth vocals on the RNB/EDM tinged stuff.