Page 41 of 92 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Frey: Gone but not Forgotten

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

Default Re: Glenn Frey has died

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Fastlane also posted a lengthy statement from Bernie. Ya'll mightwant some tissues for it. I just read what Joe said, and I think that it sums it well.
    yes it does. i noticed he's not as animated and bright eyed as he usually is. with understandable reasons. this all seems so surreal.

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by secret squirrel View Post
    Thanks for your tribute. Will catch up with next time you come to the Beaverwood. Perhaps you could play 'Hole in the World' for Glenn. I wanted to post that here but not available on YT.

As predicted, broke down when I had to tell my Dad - Glenn was always his favourite.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014...-casanova.html
    I honestly did not know if I even wanted to continue performing our Eagles trbitue for at least a while. I feel like I've lost a close friend, and being paid to play his music so soon after his passing seemed distasteful to me.

Then I had a very vivid dream Monday night, a young Glenn and Don were sitting at a table in a small bar where I was playing an acoustic solo show. They were laughing and working out the details of a song they were writing together. I don't remember much more than that except it ended with them tossing me a sheet of paper and saying, "why don't you add that to your set list?" or something like that.

I took that to be Glenn's way of saying, "keep playing, keep the music and the love alive out there, celebrate my life with people who love me and my music." As a band, we decided to go ahead and play and provide an event where people could mourn but also celebrate together the contributions of this great man to our collective life experience.

I shared some of that as we paid special tribute to Glenn in a concert last night, and the response was phenomenal. I wanted to sing "It's Your World Now," but I could not get through it. Just reading the words makes me cry all over again. Instead, I just shared all I had about how each of his songs affected me through the years, and encouraged the audience to sing along on their favorites. Their singing on the chorus to Lyin's Eyes was so loud I didn't even have to sing myself. Which was a good thing, because I was way too choked up to get more than a squeak out. In fact, I choked up several times throughout the night......singing James Dean (too fast to live, too young to die, bye bye), Peacful Easy Feeling, Already Gone, etc. So many memories.

Greg

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I think a second thread to capture all of the tributes to Glenn is a great idea.

It has been apparent to me this week that those who have known and worked with him for many decades are all making a valiant effort to describe him as whip smart, fun, kind, a fantastic musician, fully in charge of the band, etc...these tributes are completely drowning out any negative perceptions of Glenn. I especially liked Cameron Crowe's tribute, but all of the writings have the same themes, over and over, and I think compiling all of them will present a fantastic picture of who Glenn really was - for posterity.

The descriptions of Glenn in Felder's book do not stand up against the tidal swell of genuine reflections on Glenn by those respected luminaries who knew him. It is important that his children have this thread, with all tributes in one place.

ETA: Sorry, Greg, just saw your post above. Thank you for telling us of your experience, and for playing the songs.

It sounds like a lovely tribute, Greg. Good for you.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverAcidRayne View Post
    yes it does. i noticed he's not as animated and bright eyed as he usually is. with understandable reasons. this all seems so surreal.
    Yes, it does seem surreal. I keep hoping that it's just a horrible nightmare, and I'll wake up soon, but I know that it's reality.

We've been talking about how Don must be feeling, but what about Joe? He and Glenn were very close, too. Glenn helped to save Joe's life by pushing to get sober for a reunited Eagles.

Greg, most of us who are just fans can barely talk listening to Glenn's music. I can't imagine getting up on stage, playing and singing it.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

I open up Pandora. This automatically plays.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    No, it's that one.
    Can someone either post it, or give a link. I can't seem to find on either site. TIA

I'll put it in the new thread.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

IMHO the best way to honor Glenn is to keep doing what you were doing. You could do no greater honor to Glenn by playing & performing his music. Yes it is sad for all of us but he is up there looking down at us & smiling.

Have any details of his funeral been released?

Its great seeing all these posts of people feeling as blue as I do, been emailing my mum some thoughts on why his music and his death affects me and she get's it. I feel Glenn is so misunderstood, on Monday Night after a long day I got the news I thought there was a plus side that he would get the appreciation he deserved, he seemed to be too easily underestimated as were the band but I always saw Glenn as the single most underrated singer in Classic Rock. All the posts list him just as a guitarist in the main headlines, which he was but it takes away abit form the fact he sang and wrote more songs than the others. Heneley's tribute about being the engine of the band was right on the money, it's shame all these top ten and top five lists are still mostly his big hit singles rather than rediscovering the other album cuts, surprised there hasn't been a solo top 10. If there was I would probably have it this way;

1.The one you love
    2. Part of you Part of me
    3. Let's Go Home
    4. Lover's Moon
    5. Sexy Girl
    6. Smuggler's Blues
    7. Let's Pretend we're Still in Love
    8. Some Kind of Blue
    9. I got Love
    10. That Girl

Ah well just gripes sorry to be negative, today is the first day I feel more happy hearing his music, losing that sullen feeling, read a few good articles about people who knew as opposed to all the backhanded criticisms some of these obituary articles are.

Got a whole bunch of Glenn song title to describe my feelings now as well;

I'm Some Kind of Blue without Glenn
    Keep on singing for the sake of a song after Glenn is gone etc.
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes