Default Re: Jack Tempchin

Yeah, that's a real toe-tapper! Lol!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, I guess that certainly explains the long-lasting friendship between Jack and Glenn.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Cute!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

New Tempchin interview with several Glenn mentions here.

A sampling:

"Whenever [Glenn] had the time he'd come over, and we'd just grab some coffee and yellow pads."

"
    Part of my technique that Glenn Frey and I developed has always involved writing with an inner voice called El Blurto. You pick up the guitar, start playing, and just start singing anything that comes out."

"
    [Glenn and I] really respected the other person's ability, but we had to be honest with each other and tell the other person that we may not have liked a line they just wrote."

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Just saw Jack Tempchin at the famous Bluebird Cafe in Nashville! He was sweet as can be and signed my CDs after the show. He came on last, after several aspiring songwriters performed their songs. He, of course, was the one who'd already made it!

Of the songs he wrote for the Eagles and with Glenn, he played "The One You Love", "You Belong to the City", "Already Gone", and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" - all "solo acoustic." It was just him, a guitar, and a harmonica. In fact, the sax line of TOYL was done on harmonica! And it was wild to hear YBTTC and Already Gone as slow, acoustic numbers. He also played his hit "Slow Dancing" as well as two new songs - "The Loneliest Piano" and "Jesus and Mohammad" (titles are approximations taken from the lyrics).

He told the story of Glenn "romancing the muse" with the candles and wine in order to write TOYL, and also said that YBTTC was a result of Glenn accidentally meeting the guy who produced Miami Vice in first class on a plane. Now, that's not the way Glenn tells it, but hey, it's all good. lol When introducing PEF, he said he wrote a lot of it in the parking lot of a Der Wienerschnitzel, after being inspired by watching beautiful women waiting at the bus station and "falling in love" with all of them immediately, having entire relationships with them in his head - then never seeing them again after they got on the bus. He put the whole fantasy thing to work with the woman in PEF. Regarding Already Gone, he said he thought it was gonna be a country song so he co-wrote it with a guy that lived 4 miles outside of the city and wore a cowboy hat and boots.

It was fun. Very glad I went!

did he talk about Glenn's patches?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is so cool, Soda/ I am so glad you got to go to the show. And I know you must be very happy about getting those autographs. Can't wait to hear more details when you get a chance.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Yeah, and what was it like to be in the Bluebird Cafe? Did you feel any ghosts of singers past? Kind of like the country version of the Troubadour, huh?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

SS - no, no patches story. Do you think you might be mixing him up with JD Souther?

The Bluebird Cafe was not really what I expected. It is like a country Troubadour in the sense that so many up-and-coming stars were either discovered there or got their start there. However, I was surprised at how dingy the interior looked and the bench I was sitting on was horrendously uncomfortable! I felt like I was sitting in a pew of a 17th century Puritan church! (I chose a bench instead of one of the tables because I was alone and there was a friendly-looking guy sitting by himself on the bench. It turned out to be a great choice!)

Still, it was cool to see all the autographed photos of stars tacked to just about every inch of the wall. I didn't so much feel ghosts of the pasts, but I tried to imagine the people performing onstage in front of me as maybe the stars of the future (except for one couple of white-haired hippies that were quite out of place amongst all the younger country performers and sang about preparing for death).

Another cool thing though was that all the performers just sat with everybody else and hung out at the tables and the bar. In fact, I was surrounded by performers (probably because the benches were the only places where they could store their guitars - there's no "backstage").

Turns out Jack wasn't sitting very far from me either, but I didn't recognize him. He looks very grandfatherly now! So sweet and unassuming as well. And really tall! He was so nice afterwards and seemed very impressed that I had some of his solo CDs. "Where did you get those?" He asked me, laughing. "Ebay," I replied. It reminded me of my exchange with Glenn over Longbranch Pennywhistle. Ah ebay, how I love thee. it's a pity money issues destroyed our relationship.

The best moment of the performances for me came when Jack was singing "Peaceful Easy Feeling." He encouraged everyone to sing along, and we all did. Since there were so many singers around me, they were all doing harmonies and different parts - it was magnificent. It sounded like I was part of a really talented chorus of people all joining together just for the love of that song to make it into something even more beautiful. It was a real "warm and fuzzy" moment.

Soda, that's wonderful that you got to see Jack perform & to talk with him a bit.