Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Its ok, I'm not that sensitive to having Don songs being picked. It seemed like there was a common thread there for a bit.

I do agree that it is hard to pick songs from the HFO DVD and it is definitely going to get harder......

What I do find interesting about this is the way different members appreciate the music. I love the electric guitars and drums with maybe one or two band members and others like the whole band and more. ...
    Obviously you can tell this is my first game of survivor
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    While watching the DVD, I do wonder why the rest of the band don't sing many of their own songs and maybe it was due to them not being ready or nervous after the 14 year vacation......
    My theory on this, not that I know anything is that since the Eagles were finally back together & we had pretty much been saturated with Don & Glenn solo stuff in the 80s, they felt the fans wanted to see Eagles material. As for Don solo stuff included, like DD said above, he was the one with the most successful solo career of recent & everyone knows Joe so he was also included. Tho I think all of us here are familiar with Glenn's solo career, I think the general public was not so much. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke
    ETA: In response to DD's question...I LOVE the dvd for the mere fact that my beloved Eagles are back together again after 14 years! I never dreamed it would happen and when I heard about it I was ecstatic! They could have sang the phone book and I would have loved it!
    Couldn't of said it better!!!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border

Considering how contentious this thread looks like being when we're only playing a game, imagine what it must have been like for the band when deciding what songs to perform and then which ones to include in the DVD.

Stuck on the Border

For me its a toss up between HC and New York Minute. For this round I'm going to go with New York Minute. I love this song but I don't like this version with the orchestra or the trumpet.

l thought for the unplugged concert, the song would be more stripped back but the addition of the orchestra does nothing for it really.

Apart from these two songs I like the HFO DVD and It is going to be hard to pick the next few songs to eliminate While watching the DVD, I do wonder why the rest of the band don't sing many of their own songs and maybe it was due to them not being ready or nervous after the 14 year vacation......

l also can't understand why everyone hates 'learn to be still' so much. I think it is a great song and yes, while this performance might be a bit understated, it is still performed well for an unplugged concert. l don't agree with some of the reasons for it to be voted off i.e. that it is mainly Don singing and that the others have nothing much to do with the song.
    If It was Glenn singing this song, would the reasons still be the same?

Anyway, enough of my ramblings and lets get on with the game
    The reasons for voting off TGFY (which went first, remember) were that the song was too bland, not that it focused on Glenn too much. Given that Glenn only sings three songs this can hardly be a cause for complaint. Don's songs, on the other hand....

I love LTBS and I believe people have been unfair to it, just as they were to TGFY.

Regarding some other comments, I have never agreed with the assumption that Don had to be showcased because he had a bigger solo career. This is supposed to be the reunion of a band.

I also don't agree with the notion of it being unplugged and therefore it had to consist almost entirely of ballads. To me this decision fatally undermined what should have been a significant occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The reasons for voting off TGFY (which went first, remember) were that the song was too bland, not that it focused on Glenn too much. Given that Glenn only sings three songs this can hardly be a cause for complaint. Don's songs, on the other hand....

I love LTBS and I believe people have been unfair to it, just as they were to TGFY.

Regarding some other comments, I have never agreed with the assumption that Don had to be showcased because he had a bigger solo career. This is supposed to be the reunion of a band.

I also don't agree with the notion of it being unplugged and therefore it had to consist almost entirely of ballads. To me this decision fatally undermined what should have been a significant occasion.
    Please don't take it to heart any comments I made/make about Glenn/Don. I was just stirring it up a bit (trying to start off an interesting debate about the music and song choices ) and I hope that we keep going with this....

When I looked at the set list of both nights , I agree they could have added more Glenn songs especially Lovers Moon but who knows what their reasons were for their song choices, although at this point, Don was singing the majority of the bands songs and Glenn was doing the behind the scenes work arranging and so forth. In the end, they only had two of Don's own songs but I really don't like the arrangement of New York Minute...

For me, unplugged means the songs are stripped back to the bare essentials, that is no orchestras and extras added in and should cover both ballads and rock - a show based purely on ballads is just boring to the extreme!!
    The HFO DVD really got going towards the end when they started rocking out!! And yes, they should have made it a double disc DVD

P.S I liked The Girl From Yesterday....
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Desperado

At the last minute- I cast my vote for The Last Resort!

Stuck on the Border

Please don't take it to heart any comments I made/make about Glenn/Don. I was just stirring it up a bit (trying to start off an interesting debate about the music and song choices ) and I hope that we keep going with this....

When I looked at the set list of both nights , I agree they could have added more Glenn songs especially Lovers Moon but who knows what their reasons were for their song choices, although at this point, Don was singing the majority of the bands songs and Glenn was doing the behind the scenes work arranging and so forth. In the end, they only had two of Don's own songs but I really don't like the arrangement of New York Minute...

For me, unplugged means the songs are stripped back to the bare essentials, that is no orchestras and extras added in and should cover both ballads and rock - a show based purely on ballads is just boring to the extreme!!
    The HFO DVD really got going towards the end when they started rocking out!! And yes, they should have made it a double disc DVD

P.S I liked The Girl From Yesterday....
    I agree with most of what you say except for this part. 'At this point'? They had been apart for 14 years. Why did they have to instantly revert to the Don vocal domination for this show just because that was the case in 1980? As the tour proved, they decided they couldn't continue with this if the tour were to be representative of what they were about. But that can't change HFO.

Hotel California

I had no idea that people didn't like that version of HC! I'm flabbergasted. I thought it was just beautiful when it came out and still do.

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    I had no idea that people didn't like that version of HC! I'm flabbergasted. I thought it was just beautiful when it came out and still do.
    To me Hotel California isn't Hotel California without those electric guitar solos. If I may be so bold, they really "make" the song, IMO.... And the electric version of HC rocks a lot and more uptempo than the spanish flamenco version. I'm just not into that kind of music. Give me a Les Paul and a loud amp anyday over that stuff! Yeah, the lyrics are great and it is a masterpiece, but I never care to hear it without those electric solos note-for-note. And it's my favorite song of all time.