Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

I agree with FP's comments. I love TGFY. I was going to vote New York Minute, but in a, probably futile, attempt to save TGFY I vote Learn To Be Still, which would have been my second choice.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I have nothing against Glenn's songs that are on the DVD. The other two are not high on my list to get rid of anytime soon. Even though Don had 8 or 9 songs on the DVD, Joe, Glenn, and Timothy(even though he only had two) had almost the equal amount of songs on the DVD which you don't see now since Joe does 5 or 6 songs and Timothy only does 2. Glenn and Don almost do an equal amount of songs now. I'm glad he had more songs on the HFO tour than the DVD.

Heck a lot of my favorite songs are by Glenn. Even though I'm solely a Don fan, I love some of Glenn's songs. I like Take It Easy and Tequila Sunrise on this DVD. At least you do get interaction and everybody is singing on those songs and having fun. With TGFY, its just plain ole boring. At least with the other songs that the guys were standing around on, they were singing. This one was just Glenn and Don. Even though their are a lot of songs where it features Glenn and Don helping each other on verses or backing each other, the others are singing with them.

That's why I voted for TGFY. Their wasn't no interaction and the others were not singing on the song. The steel guitar and guitar solo couldn't help the song. This was my very first choice to get rid of. Once that song is gone, it will be hard for me to get rid of the others.
    When playing this particular game, the number of songs Glenn sang on the tour is irrelevant. Yes, he was used properly on the tour, but that is not the point. The number of songs sung by the others which weren't included on the DVD is also irrelevant and Joe sings three, not five or six, the same number as Glenn. Joe and Tim did not have any extra songs. Only Glenn and (surprise)! Henley did.

There was at least as much interaction in TGFY as there was in the totally Henley heavy NYM, TLR, Wasted Time & Desperado. There are no backing vocals in TLR or Wasted Time until the end. Why is it then such a big deal that only Glenn & Don sing on TGFY? IN fact, it's good to have the two of them showcased like this. The only other time it happens is when Glenn is backing Don on piano in the afore mentioned WT & Desperado.

And I love Learn To Be Still; the lyrics, the melody, the atmosphere. Don heavy, yes, but so is most of this show. He is at his best here, understated rather than overwrought which is my preference.

I think Dreamer is correct. Most of these performances are so similar that despite best intentions, most people will be voting for the songs.
    Last edited by Freypower; 10-22-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Border Desperado Islander canuck's Avatar

I vote for Learn To Be Still.

I noticed at the end of the credits when they list the songs in between Learn To Be Still and Pretty Maids All In A Row that Best Of My Love is listed. Since no performance of Best Of My Love is shown shouldn't it have been edited out of the credits?
    Last edited by Islander canuck; 10-22-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Border Troubadour

A lot of songs were performed but either not filmed or later cut. There's also One of These Nights, a Glenn solo and a truly wonderful performance of Peaceful Easy Feeling, amongst a good few others.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    A lot of songs were performed but either not filmed or later cut. There's also One of These Nights, a Glenn solo and a truly wonderful performance of Peaceful Easy Feeling, amongst a good few others.
    Yes, but they were cut. That's the point. They aren't part of the game. And what are these 'good few others'? The only other songs I know of which you don't mention are Best Of My Love & Heartache Tonight.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Yes, but they were cut. That's the point. They aren't part of the game. And what are these 'good few others'? The only other songs I know of which you don't mention are Best Of My Love & Heartache Tonight.
    I was merely responding to IC's query. Does it really matter what I used to quantify the rest? Yes it didn't turn out to be the most accurate (I thought there was 7 or 8 cut), heaven forbid I should make an error.

I'm staying out of this thread now, more trouble than it's worth. Enjoy your game all.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I was merely responding to IC's query. Does it really matter what I used to quantify the rest? Yes it didn't turn out to be the most accurate (I thought there was 7 or 8 cut), heaven forbid I should make an error.

I'm staying out of this thread now, more trouble than it's worth. Enjoy your game all.
    TLR, I'm sorry. I overreacted. There is no need for you to stay out of it. On the contrary it would perhaps be better if I did.

I cast my vote for New York Minute.

It really drags the show down pace-wise and as a solo song, I feel it's expendable. I mean, the rest of the band barely does anything during it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    TLR, I'm sorry. I overreacted. There is no need for you to stay out of it. On the contrary it would perhaps be better if I did.
    No problem, I did too! Don't go, I'd feel guilty

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

This is a fun thread, I like seeing everyone's thoughts. I am not sophisticated enough to vote strategically, so like DD, I'm just going to be honest, and this one is a no-brainer for me:

THE LAST RESORT

OMG, snooozefest!!!

As for:

New York Minute - I actually like it when the Eagles play and sing to Don's solo hits, I think it's cool, and from a more personal standpoint, I like all of the Timothy action going on here.

Learn to Be Still - hard for me to argue with all 5 guys sitting out front strumming and singing.

Watch out tomorrow, The Girl From Yesterday. (see what I did there? haha)