Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Very Best of the Eagles" appreciation thread

Default "Very Best of the Eagles" appreciation thread

We haven't made a thread for this album because it's a compilation, but it does turn 10 today and it gave us "Hole in the World" which was the first new song by the Eagles in almost ten years at the time.

It also got me into the Eagles hardcore because I bought it after seeing Don Henley with Stevie Nicks in 2005 and it made me realize these guys had it goin' on - not only did I like every song to varying degrees, but also there were several I thought were fantastic. That's what really won me over. It wasn't just that they were all good; it was that so many were great. On the strength of hearing so many standout tracks on a single collection, I decided to buy the back catalog and you know the rest!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

Default Re: "Very Best of the Eagles" appreciation thread

A brilliant compilation, like Sodascouts is (I think) alluding to, this also got me into the Eagles big time: about two and a half years ago I listened to it on a quite long (by British standards!) car journey across South West Scotland. Around that time I'd only ever really listened to the non-US issued The Very Best of the Eagles album (1994, the one with the pic of the cactus and desert on the cover if anyone has it), which basically contained all the singles from the 70s plus Desperado; so this had a lot of new songs I'd never heard of but was willing to try. Anyway, the combination of the scenery I was looking at and the new songs on the disk was just so perfect: listening to the likes of Ol' 55 and Doolin-Dalton whilst driving through barren fields miles from anything was so perfect. I basically listened to that CD non-stop for about a week afterwards! It is definitely the best compilation the Eagles have put out, but if I had to point out one criticism, I think it's a bit light from the eponymous, Depserado and OOTN albums, perhaps one more song from each (TLHTM, D-D/D Reprise and HW would do) and it would be perfect.

I listen to the Very Best of the Eagles on Spotify and I love the album. I think this was the first album I listen to by the Eagles after I watched HOTE.
    Their were so many songs I've never heard of and they become my favorite.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

These are the CDs that never leave the CD player in my truck. When I have a really lousy day or a really good day, this is what I listen to.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

These CD's are in my Jeep!

Love it very much

Stuck on the Border

In Australia it's called The Complete Greatest Hits.

As a thread has been started, I have a major problem with it in that Glenn only sings two songs on Disc 2. This of course reflects the I Sang Less Because We Had Don Henley situation. But not all these songs were hits. Why couldn't TGFY have been included rather than ITC, The Sad Café or Those Shoes (I could also say instead of WT, VOL & The Last Resort but there you are). You can hear him in 7BR, GOI & HITW though so when I listen to it I try to think of it that way. Also he does say a lot of interesting things in the liner notes.

I know I shouldn't have a problem with it & it reflects reality, but I can't help it if I think that reality was wrong. Thank heavens for LROOE.

What else from The Long Run was supposed to go on there, FP? The wretched "Teenage Jail"? God forbid they should include that crappy embarrassment to the Eagles just because it's got a Glenn vocal on it. I suppose they could have included "King of Hollywood" but honestly that song is inferior to the ones they did include off TLR, IMHO - and this is supposed to be the very best Eagles songs. Who sings what has nothing to do with it.

It's true they could have found a place for TGFY on there, but other than that... I don't see much else they could have done.

Like you, I'm glad Glenn sang more on LROOE, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    What else from The Long Run was supposed to go on there, FP? The wretched "Teenage Jail"? God forbid they should include that crappy embarrassment to the Eagles just because it's got a Glenn vocal on it. I suppose they could have included "King of Hollywood" but honestly that song is inferior to the ones they did include off TLR, IMHO - and this is supposed to be the very best Eagles songs. Who sings what has nothing to do with it.

It's true they could have found a place for TGFY on there, but other than that... I don't see much else they could have done.

Like you, I'm glad Glenn sang more on LROOE, though.
    No. Did I suggest they should have included Teenage Jail? I only suggested that TGFY could have balanced it out just ever so slightly.

(My opinion of KOH is the opposite of yours, of course. I wasn't suggesting that should have been included either).

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

I agree with va I love this cd and I have it on a good day and a bad day lol
    hands down.
    I have loved the eagles since I was in high school and hotel California came out...and a certain hubba hubba caught my eye with his jeans guitar and perfect harmonies with dh and company

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I also love this compilation. This was the very first CD I ever purchased. I know I was a late bloomer here, but my car that I had until 2004 did not have a CD player - only a cassette player. The day I bought my first car with a CD player, the first stop I made when I drove off the lot was Best Buy. I bought this CD, along with Elton John's and Madonna's greatest hits CDs. Of course, the Eagles were the very first to go into the player. I think it may have been a couple of weeks before the plastic wrap even came off of the Elton or Madonna CDs. To this day, it is the one that probably still gets the most play.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016