Page 186 of 194 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 1935

Thread: Dreaming of the Eagles

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: Dreaming of the Eagles

Whoa, I would be stressing too Soda!

In my dream, I was driving a car sitting next to Don Henley and listening to the radio--in the summer --"Hotel California" came on, and I started singing. I was driving over to Don's house to listen to records and to get grape licorice shoelace candy. I parked in the driveway of the house, and we sat in the car.

"How they danced in the courtyard..."

"Who are your friends, Don?" I asked no one in particular. I continued to sing "Hotel California" as the car radio played. Don didn't answer. He looked out at the driveway.

While I was singing, I thought for a fleeting moment that I always knew that the song "Hotel California" was about Don Henley, and that he was not just its lead singer for no reason at all. The song ended; I stopped singing. Don sat silently for a minute.

Don and I got out of the car and walked to the door of the house. Don walked in the door, and I followed him into a foyer, where I stood for a minute.

"The thing about Don is, he loves peaches," I observed. I meant that sincerely and literally. It was peach season, and he had a box of giant peaches sitting on his kitchen table. California-sized peaches! I saw them from the hallway. At that point, we both had one thing in common, having said very little to each other in the car: an admiration of that box of summer peaches. The large box was a gift from a record company; the return address was on the box.

I asked, "Don,--what about nectarines? Do you like them, too?" I guessed that Don would get another new box from the same record company by Christmas.

Don said, "Yeah." We smiled together at the knowledge that the remaining year would bring an array of company gift boxes.
    Last edited by Lisa; 10-29-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    In my dream, I was driving a car sitting next to Don Henley and listening to the radio--in the summer --"Hotel California" came on, and I started singing. I was driving over to Don's house to listen to records and to get grape licorice shoelace candy. I parked in the driveway of the house, and we sat in the car.

"How they danced in the courtyard..."

"Who are your friends, Don," I asked no one in particular.

I always knew that the song "Hotel California" was about Don Henley, and that he was not just its lead singer for no reason at all. Of course--the intro with the descriptive story to the "mission bell" does sound a little bit more like Glenn Frey, but that is where the resemblance stops-right after the end of the first verse.

Don and I got out of the car and walked to the door of the house. Don walked in the door, and I followed him into a foyer, where I stood for a minute.

"The thing about Don is, he loves peaches," I observed. It was peach season, and he had a box of giant peaches sitting on his kitchen table. California-sized peaches! I saw them from the hallway.

I said, "Don,--what about the nectarines? Do you like them, too?

Don said, "Yeah."
    I have never heard the song Hotel California as being 'about' Don Henley, just because he wrote a lot of it (hence the reason he sings it). I don't think it's as cut & dried as you claim to say that Glenn may have written the opening part & that was it. I think there is a possibility that the first & last verses of the song may draw on Henley's experiences, but the bulk of it is talking about 'her' in metaphorical terms, and I have always thought 'her' is California, not Don Henley. He does say it concerns a journey from innocence to experience, but his own journey? I have never seen it that way.

I like your characterization of the "her" being California.

I wouldn't say that I implied that the song is either simple or multi-faceted.

I am only writing a fictional story, not actually discussing the meaning(s) of a song lyric.

Of course, in the dream--I am singing "Hotel California" to the car radio, and that is singing as a girl about guy(s), instead of Don Henley singing "Hotel California." and it is my impression of the song from my singing the song that I included in the paragraph--so, I don't know what Don's lyric would imply--from the driver's seat of a car singing to the radio. It is a fictional situation as a departure from the discussion. The dream story is only told from the point of view of the narrator--it is not objective, it is subjective.

I wouldn't have any idea what Don Henley would have meant.

Of course, if you want me to delete any of the paragraphs--it is just another story, and I'll be happy to delete some of any of it, or all of it. It is not meaningful to me not to delete anything you don't want to archive. I have already tried to delete the posts this morning, but the delete feature didn't work.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    I like your characterization of the "her" being California.

I wouldn't say that I implied that the song is either simple or multi-faceted.

I am only writing a fictional story, not actually discussing the meaning(s) of a song lyric.

Of course, in the dream--I am singing "Hotel California" to the car radio, and that is singing as a girl about guy(s), instead of Don Henley singing "Hotel California." and it is my impression of the song from my singing the song that I included in the paragraph--so, I don't know what Don's lyric would imply--from the driver's seat of a car singing to the radio. It is a fictional situation as a departure from the discussion. The dream story is only told from the point of view of the narrator--it is not objective, it is subjective.

I wouldn't have any idea what Don Henley would have meant.

Of course, if you want me to delete any of the paragraphs--it is just another story, and I'll be happy to delete some of any of it, or all of it. It is not meaningful to me not to delete anything you don't want to archive. I have already tried to delete the posts this morning, but the delete feature didn't work.
    Of course you don't have to delete any of it. I only thought when you said you have always thought the song is about Don Henley that was you talking, not a fictional narrator.

I had an interesting dream.

I don't remember if I was Massachusetts or Texas, but I was visiting one of Don's organizations and I saw him there. He liked me and wanted to hire me. So I was there for a couple of days. I got hang with with him and look around the place. He asked my opinion on some things and it was just fun hanging with him. He and some other people were interviewing me. Then I woke up. I think it was Christmas because he was dressed as an elf and singing to the workers. LOL

Question. Does your dreams be triggered by a clip, picture or article. Mines was a picture of Don that was taken just on Monday in Boston.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 10-29-2014 at 07:29 AM.

Oh, I didn't realize that it seemed like I'd stepped out of the narrative and was talking at that point! I'm sorry. I had this dream-story jotted down in a notebook, and I was just re-reading my notebook and quickly transcribing the story--so, I couldn't see any possible change someone else could find in a read-through.

At that point in the narrative, I was trying to continue some rationales from the point of view of this person driving a car and singing to the car radio with Don riding along! It is the point of view of the person who is singing the song. I had only mentioned that I was singing in the first paragraph--and I didn't subsequently follow the image through for the reader!

I didn't say that I was singing to the car radio while Don sat silently; (to point out hat Don was not singing); until I rewrote the paragraphs and re-characterized the scene. I wasn't going to step outside of the narrative and talk about any ideas about the song "Hotel California" at all in this dream-story. This is only a short sketch from a notebook!
    Last edited by Lisa; 10-29-2014 at 09:20 AM.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Lisa, if you're going to go into this kind of analysis, maybe we should concentrate on why you dreamed that Don likes peaches? There's got to be some interesting theories there. Years and years ago I dreamed that I made an apple pie, and Glenn arrived out of nowhere, thanked me for making it for him, then walked away with it while I stood there trying to come up with the words to tell my friends there would be no dessert. I wondered for a long time why I had dreamed that, I was having a dinner party, but I'd already made a chocolate/Kahlua cheesecake.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Hi--that's a good dream about the apple pie!

I was wondering whether the first line of "Tequila Sunrise," for example, could transfer from the words "sunrise+ to "sky"-- to "apple pie?" Maybe the "pie" is related to a song that mentions a "sky." (??)

The theory, I would think, would be that it is that I've finished singing the song--and that it is a glossy evasion and euphemistic mental rewriting of the "feast"--"beast" image. A box of peaches instead of "the beast"--?? "Peach" and "beast" rhyme, and you could easily replace the one item with the other as a mental device--possibly, "In the master's chamber" becomes a kitchen as seen from a foyer.

Theory, though. Those seem to be some of the connecting ideas,.
    Last edited by Lisa; 10-30-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Seems like I have dearths of Eagles dreams for long periods, then a lot at once. I've had about three within the last three weeks, ever since I spent the night at Linden on the way home from Austin.

In my most recent dream a couple nights ago, I had gone on a trip to see the Eagles with the usual gang , yet for some reason, I was separated from everyone else. They are all staying in one room together, and that room has a balcony that looks over the sidewalk that leads to the entrance to the hotel. It's dark, and they are out on the balcony chatting. I am standing outside, around the corner, leaning against the wall, out of sight.

The current Eagles are walking up to the hotel and see the girls on the balcony. They recognize them and start to do an impromptu version of "How Long" for them, looking up at them as they sing! Of course all the girls are thrilled. They call out to the guys and wave from the balcony. Everyone is smiling and laughing.

I hear them and quietly peek around the corner to see them, but I can't get a good view. I see a rusty black fire escape ladder hanging down off the side of the building, and I climb up it. I finally get high enough to see the guys clearly, even though I'm looking at them from the side. As I stick my head a bit out to see better, Glenn suddenly turns his head and sees me. He winks at me. I'm not sure what to do. It is a bit embarrassing to be caught on the fire escape! Then, he gestures for me to come down.

Thrilled, I scramble down, but when I go around the corner they are gone - disappeared without a trace. In fact, everyone is gone. The streets are deserted. I'm devastated.

Next thing I know I'm in the hotel lobby. It's a very nice, old-fashioned hotel with a huge marble fountain in the middle of it. A bank of steel elevators are behind the fountain. A few people are milling about and everything seems back to normal.

Two of the elevators land on the ground floor at the same time; they open to reveal the band in one elevator and the backing band in the other. Again, they spontaneously break out into song. This time they're singing "Seven Bridges Road".

They walk out to the fountain and finish singing the song standing in front of it. I'm on the other side of the fountain with a few other random people, watching them through the falling water. Everyone's delighted and clapping. After the band finishes, they smile and wave, heading off to the venue to play the show.

Suddenly I realize that I don't have tickets to the show! How did that happen?! I start to panic. It's just a couple hours away... Ticketmaster isn't selling them... too late to turn to a scalper site... I could try at the venue....

As I'm weighing my options, all the other girls come down and walk past me, talking about how they wished they had been in the lobby to hear the Eagles. "Are you going to the show?" I ask as they go by. They say yes without slowing down, continuing to head on.

After they leave, I decide to get a taxi to the venue. As I head to the door, Glenn comes back in, dressed all in black. "Glenn!" I cry. "I'm so glad to see you!"

"I saw you before and I was going to ask if you were going to the show," he smiles.

"Yes, but I don't have a ticket yet," I reply. Would he offer me one?

"Well, I hope you get a good seat," he responds. Guess not! "Anyway, I've got to get going - they're waiting for me." He grins widely. "See you there!"

"I hope so!" I watch him leave, thinking that the truth is that I'll probably be so far away Glenn won't "see me there" at all, but it's so freaking cool that I got to talk to him that I don't care.

That's when I woke up - happy that at least I got to say hi to Glenn!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten