Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Perhaps I should have said 'it wasn't written by any member of the Eagles'. I tend to use the word 'cover' regardless of whether the writer recorded it first.

Border Troubadour

I vote for Love Will Keep Us Alive. I know I disagreed with FP before in this game but I can't fault anything she said above. The lyrics are so weak (in an emotional sense) and desperate, it lacks that cutting edge and charm a lot of the other Eagles' love songs have. Quite how it's lasted as a staple for two decades I don't know. Like a couple of the other songs from the concert too, it's very musically anonymous too. Sorry TBS fans!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I will take a stab at saving it:

Songwriting credits shouldn't be a factor in this survivor game, it's supposed to be based on the performance.

Also, I suggest that on paper, LWKUA could be a VERY BAD song!! I believe that it is Timothy's singing it that makes it listenable, and, I would go so far as to say that it may have been a hit because lots of non-Eagles fans as well as some Eagles fans really liked it. The non-Eagles fans who heard it on AC channels were like, "What's this? I like it!"

So, acknowledging that the song and lyrics might be questionable, I would argue that Tim's performance of it, especially on the HFO DVD where his voice is clear and note perfect, is particularly impressive!! The guys are all front and seem into it. That's all I got, I'm resigned to seeing it go soon.

Edit: I thought of one other thing - it is the first new song on the DVD, so that is sort of exciting if watching the DVD was your first exposure to HFO - hearing the first new Eagles music in over 14 years! A very cool moment in the overall product.
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 10-30-2014 at 08:29 PM.

Hotel California

I don't think LWKUA has terrible lyrics - perhaps they're a bit trite sometimes, but they are a sweet sentiment. Timothy sings it beautifully, of course.

I'm going to wait a bit to vote and see what's in danger. I definitely want HMTTN to stay another round.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I vote Pretty Maids All In A Row. At this point in the competition it's mainly the mood I'm in at the time I go to vote that determine what goes next. I know what my top favourites are, but it's become very difficult to rate the rest of the remaining performances.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I vote Pretty Maids All In A Row. At this point in the competition it's mainly the mood I'm in at the time I go to vote that determine what goes next. I know what my top favourites are, but it's become very difficult to rate the rest of the remaining performances.
    OH nooooo, I'm afraid I can't stand this any longer - PMAIAR is one of my all time favourites so in the interest of my blood pressure and sanity, I am abstaining for the rest of the 'game' ....
    (I have a fair notion of which two songs are going to end up fighting it out anyway)
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    OH nooooo, I'm afraid I can't stand this any longer - PMAIAR is one of my all time favourites so in the interest of my blood pressure and sanity, I am abstaining for the rest of the 'game' ....
    (I have a fair notion of which two songs are going to end up fighting it out anyway)
    DD - don't leave the game, us Don fans seem to be becoming rarer than one of Don's smiles lately

I'm going to vote for Hotel California again.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

It's suddenly got a lot harder. I was intending to wait as long as possible in case I needed to save a song but lots of others seem to be playing the same game. As I want an early night, I'm going ahead.

I vote for Hotel California.

I like this performance but I'm looking ahead as I don't want it to be the overall winner.

Love Will Keep Us Alive