Thread: Eagles R-Kive

Banned

Default Eagles R-Kive

Genesis have just released a new playlist album named R-Kive which includes all the usual Genesis compilation tracks plus 3 tracks from each of it's five main members solo material.

The Eagles, of course, are one of only a few other bands who could actually release a similar project, and unlike Genesis, they've always included solo tracks in their live set list (since Joe joined in 1975 anyway) and have already released live versions of solo tracks on live albums.

From memory, solo tracks performed by The Eagles;

Joe Walsh -
    Walk Away (James Gang track)
    Turn To Stone
    Funk #49 (James Gang track)
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Life's Been Good
    All Night Long
    Help Me Thru The Night
    Ordinary Average Guy
    One Day At A Time

Don Henley -
    The Heart Of The Matter
    New York Minute
    Dirty Laundry
    Boys Of Summer
    All She Wants To Do Is Dance
    Sunset Grill

Glenn Frey -
    Sea Cruise
    Lovers Moon
    You Belong To The City
    Smugglers Blues
    The Heat Is On

Timothy B Schmit -
    Keep On Tryin' (Poco track)

Genesis opted for 2 obvious solo tracks plus one a little bit more obscure. Even Tony (No hits) Banks has 3 of his solo tracks on R-Kive.

So, if the Eagles did put together an Eagles R-Kive collection, and I think they're due a new compilation, Which 3 tracks would you choose from their relevant solo careers? By all means include the ex members but I think the 3 track requisit can't really be extended.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles R-Kive

Imagine how well Felder's "You Can't Have Me" would be received!

I'd like to exclude solo tracks that have been a regular part of Eagles concerts. I see it as an opportunity for exposing Eagles fans to material they may have missed rather than another version of "Rocky Mountain Way".

I wouldn't mind hearing a collection of Eagles covers, because if you look through the setlists over the years, there are quite a few. I've heard that from quite early days, the concerts were recorded (audio) so there might be recordings but I guess they are not considered to be up to Eagles standards.

Wow, this is hard! I'll have to give it some thought.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Joe:

The obvious choices are Eagles staples, so I'm not going for them. Maybe they can be in the Eagles part of the collection. I want something old, something new and something in the middle. I'm limited by a lack of knowledge, too.

Walk Away
    I like it, it's a "classic" but not on the current Eagles set list

The Confessor

I'm Lucky That Way
    I wanted something from Analog Man and this is about the only track I've heard.

Banned

The obvious choices are indeed the Eagles concert staples and as the Eagles have been well served by a, stick to the tried and tested rather than pushing the boundaries, thought process, I'm happy to go with the obvious selections.

After all, it would be nice for people to listen to tracks they've heard at an Eagles concert on an Eagles record; plus, any compilation album should really be aimed at general music fans who are not familiar with the bands catalog. Long time fans will have this stuff already.

So, determined to be decisive and not keep changing my mind, aiming for 2 obvious and one, not quite so obvious:

Don Henley;
    Dirty Laundry, Boys Of Summer & You Don't Know Me At All

Glenn Frey;
    The Heat Is On, Smugglers Blues & Lovers Moon

Joe Walsh;
    Life's Been Good, Rocky Mountain Way & Wrecking Ball

Timothy B Schmit;
    Keep On Tryin', Boys Night Out, White Boy From Sacramento

Problems, problems! All Glenn's are from the same album, and my favourite TBS tracks are covers which I've discounted from everybody.

I think the Genesis guys got to choose their own 3.

Thanks for the answers

Stuck on the Border

Don Henley:
    I'm going for the obvious choices from laziness and also because I haven't gone that deeply into his back catalogue. So I;ll go for one of his biggest hits and a couple that he brought into the Eagles that I particularly like.

"Boys of Summer"
    "New York Minute"
    "Heart of the Matter"

Timothy B Schmit:

"Keep on Tryin'" (got to have something from his Poco days)
    "Caroline, No" (I'm allowing covers)
    some random track - they're all nice enough but there isn't one that stands out for me

Glenn Frey:
    My choices are slightly defensive because I've read too many of those "Glenn Frey is the least talented Eagle" posts from people with vague memories of the hits.

"All Those Lies" (no co-writer and it's quite a clever, self-mocking song with some nice guitar. It may only have reached #41 but it's one of my favourites from No Fun ALoud)
    "You Belong to the City" (one of his biggest hits and a reminder that it's pretty good. Also a good example of the style people associtate with his solo career)
    "Long, Hot Summer" (Strange Weather is perhaps the album that people expected him to make when he left the Eagles. I see it as more of an extension to his Eagles sound than his previous solo efforts.)

Don Felder:
    I haven't heard too much of his work so this is based more on what's on youtube.

"Heavy Metal (Takin' a Ride)" (the closest he had to a hit. It has an Eagles history, having its start as a track that he put forward for The Long Run)
    "Bad Girls"
    "Wash Away" (there should be something from his latest album)

Randy Meisner:
    I'm struggling so whichever of his solo material charted highest.

Bernie Leadon:
    I don't have a clue but I'd be interested to hear anything by him.

Stuck on the Border

I have tried to avoid responding here because I feel the entire thing is fundamentally flawed in attempting to give equal weight to all Eagles members' solo work, when the stark reality is that a couple of them were far more successful than the others. The reality is that the current members of the Eagles would refuse point blank to give Don Felder's work any recognition and the inclusion of anything by Leadon or Meisner would highlight the glaring length of time since either of them produced any solo work. It would be tokenism at its worst.

I would not choose hits for the most part. I would choose three songs each for the current members which I believe represent the best of their solo work. They are not necessarily my favourites except for POMPOY & AMOS.

Glenn:

The One You Love
    Part Of Me, Part Of You
    After Hours

Don:

A Month Of Sundays
    The End Of The Innocence
    Goodbye To A River

Joe:

Second Hand Store
    The Confessor
    Wrecking Ball

Tim:

Down By The River
    The Shadow
    Downtime

Banned

I thought it was an iffy concept too!

I've no problem with the differing levels of solo success, Genesis have that too. All the albums have equal merit artistically but I couldn't see a market for yet another greatest hits collection with solo hits to make it different from all the others. It's only when I saw it make the chart top ten that I thought the Eagles may be interested.

The way the music business is now, there is no point to being precious about your back catalog. Multi CD collections are now very common, especially from "Legacy Acts" such as the Genesis and Eagles.

It's almost customary to release a Greatest Hits album every 7 or 8 years and re-release albums with a tonne of extras as a special Deluxe, Immersion or Anniversary Edition.

Can the Eagles resist the enormous pressure to release a 40th Anniversary, in depth, multi disc, reissue of Hotel California in 2016?

I still believe the next Eagles release will be a compilation, CD or DVD or a combination of both and I think it'd be enhanced by solo material, as their concerts are.

Expanding on the R-Kive model. Picking 3 from the ex Eagles is really tough but I had a go. Maybe 1 each from them would mark their place in Eagles history.

Bernie Leadon;
    Lazy Days (Flying Burrito Brothers)
    How Can You Live Without Love
    Rich Life

Randy Meisner;
    Hearts On Fire
    Playing In The Deep End
    Gotta Get Away or One More Song (sorry!)
    I really love his solo acoustic version of TITTL with David Cassidy too but would that count as a cover?)

Don Felder;
    Heavy Metal
    Never Surrender
    Still Alive

As great as it was to see Timothy playing live, it was disappointing that he played nothing from his first 3 albums and only The Shadow from Feed The Fire. He must like some of those tracks!

Maybe The Shadow is a better choice than Boys Night Out but I figured if everybody else has to offer their biggest hit then Tim should be no different. I would have included his wonderful, So Much In Love but it's a cover.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I thought it was an iffy concept too!

It's almost customary to release a Greatest Hits album every 7 or 8 years and re-release albums with a tonne of extras as a special Deluxe, Immersion or Anniversary Edition.

Can the Eagles resist the enormous pressure to release a 40th Anniversary, in depth, multi disc, reissue of Hotel California in 2016?
    You can't keep releasing compilations if you are just recycling the same stuff. There won't be extras because there are no extra tracks. We have been told on numerous occasions that they throw away what they don't use. There are no hidden outtakes. I'm sorry, but that is unavoidable with this band. They don't have a very large catalogue.

People want a BluRay/DVD of the HOTE tour. They don't want or need another compilation CD especially one constructed in such an artificial & tokenistic (in my view) way.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I'm gonna have to give this some thought, F50. It's never easy for me to to have to narrow such awesome songs down to a Top Twenty, much less just two or three.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016