The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Eagles Discussion Areas > On the Road with the Eagles > Tour Talk

Tour Talk Discuss generalized aspects of live Eagles-related shows.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:29 AM   #41
cosec3791
Border Desperado

Default Re: Classic West L.A. - One Year Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
I agree with you cosec on your original post.

Glenn wanted to rock and drop the twangy stuff. Sure, he had some country tinged stuff later on but the Eagles are a ROCK band. They are so much better as a rock band than a country/country-rock outfit. A real guitar driven rock n' roll band. When they got rid of Bernie and got Walsh in there with Felder it was apparent and at times it even bordered on real hard rock. Same with getting rid of Glyn and getting Bill as producer. They wanted to rock, and other than maybe TGFY from HFO, they kept with their rock traditions as the years went on.

I'm glad the Eagles made this change. I cannot stand traditional/classic country. They really shine as a classic rock band and they were smart to move onto classic AOR rock. I wouldn't be a fan otherwise. The smooth country sound with harmony vocals is not what I signed up for, lol. I want LITFL. I want AG. You get the idea.

To me the addition of Vince Gill and him trying to inject his country crooner ways to make them better in his mind is nauseating to me, and I'll leave it at that.
Exactly though. The Eagles are a rock band. But unfortunately, it seems like everyone just comes for vocals and harmonies though. I personally, see the guitar work first of a rock band, then vocals. The reason Hotel California attracted me to the Eagles was not because of Henley, but because of Walsh and Felder. In fact, the third video of them I've ever seen was them covering Turn to Stone at Houston in 1976. That's what made me fall in love with the band. If I was looking for harmonies and vocals, today's music is enough. Guitarwork, virtuosity is what is lacking today.

I also signed up for the rock stuff. LITFL, AG, GOI, VOL, etc. Plus Joe's and James Gang covers.

However, I concede to Delilah that Glenn himself did go quite country later on. Though I never really liked or cared about his 90's self. I know so many Borderers swoon over 90's Glenn, but personally I liked him better in the 70's, wherein he would just be with 'ol Black and strumming and playing his solos.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:24 AM   #42
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
Exactly though. The Eagles are a rock band. But unfortunately, it seems like everyone just comes for vocals and harmonies though. I personally, see the guitar work first of a rock band, then vocals. The reason Hotel California attracted me to the Eagles was not because of Henley, but because of Walsh and Felder.

I also signed up for the rock stuff. LITFL, AG, GOI, VOL, etc. Plus Joe's and James Gang covers.

However, I concede to Delilah that Glenn himself did go quite country later on. Though I never really liked or cared about his 90's self. I know so many Borderers swoon over 90's Glenn, but personally I liked him better in the 70's, wherein he would just be with 'ol Black and strumming and playing his solos.
Amen to the bolded part, cosec! And yes the Eagles were their best during the Felder or Walsh/Felder years in terms of song output. They are a better rock band than country band, and they absolutely slay when it comes to being a rock band. I've always said I don't think the band would be as big as it was today without that Hotel California record. They'd be known and do ok, but HC with Walsh MADE them a supergroup. Just absolutely blew up after that song hit the airwaves. They are very underrated in the guitar world. Felder even moreso than Walsh. And Glenn himself was a very good guitarist, especially in rhythm playing but he tore it up on some classic Eagles solos. They absolutely as a team made some of the best guitar parts by any band that I'd put up against ANY of their vocal harmonies. They flat out rocked! And amongst Eagles fans, I think the guitar scope of the band is also very underrated. Best American rock band ever.

I still disagree with the assessment that Glenn went country later on though, sure there is a couple examples of where he dabbled in it but he still wanted to rock and that was obvious to me on the shows that I saw. He enjoyed himself more on the rockers than he did the country stuff. He let loose and dropped the serious tone and body language. He was a rock n' roll guy and that's where the band shined. He even made Zeppelin references in the HOTE doc. Glenn loved R&R.

RIP Glenn Lewis Frey 1948-2016

"People don't run out of dreams - people just run out of time."

WalshFan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:13 AM   #43
chaim
Stuck on the Border

About Glenn going country later on...There indeed was TGFY on HFO, but there was also GOI on which Glenn did a LOT of the essential guitar parts. That balance had always been there.
chaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #44
cosec3791
Border Desperado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
Thanks for understanding what I was trying to say. I agree with you about Felder. The band lost his stage presence and much of its rock vibe when he left. Now there’s an almost nameless anonymous lead guitarist in his place who is very good but not very exciting. Not to mention Steuart Smith comes from a country background himself.

LOL. So much has changed.
Thanks for understanding my point too. I ABSOLUTELY disagree with all the people saying Steuart is equal to or better than Felder. No way. Like look at some songs. Turn to Stone. Witchy Woman. In the 70's, the chemistry and playing Walsh and Felder had were palpable and indelible. They gelled together so well, and they had a high level of technical proficiency. Even in HFO, when they went a bit softer, the chemistry was still clearly there. On the other hand with Steuart, there was only little. I personally feel Felder had so much presence, not so much his appearance as much as his playing. The main reason many people don't care about Felder is because he doesn't sing as much as the others.

Same goes with Bernie. There are people who believe Bernie is better than Felder ON GUITAR! Look I understand that he is miles ahead with banjo, mandolin and pedal steel, but pure electric guitar?

He had this aggressive, meaty tone and sound live. He did it so rawly, yet perfectly. In the drug-addled 70's, he tended to make least mistakes of the three. I feel Felder is severely underrated and is could have easily taken one of the top 100 guitarists' spots, at least between 100-90th. I will also admit that when you look at studio work, he did little. But when you look at live releases, bootlegs, his contributions are paramount to their sound and undeniable.

And continuing the Outrage generation thing, as a Generation Z child myself, I feel the reason this is so is because: the internet.

One of the biggest highlights of Generation Z is the easiest access to the internet for children. This resulted in the change of scope of pop culture. Children (literally) below 13 started getting into pop stars. Disney also contributed. This resulted in socially conscious stars. They had to extremely careful. Vices can inhibit acceptance these days, because of children potentially getting influenced. Suppose the Eagles were as famous as they were in the HC era, but it happened today. They'd be finished. I feel this is a good thing however. Also another aspect is recovery from the certain vice is a way of acceptance. Many stars who, after leaving Disney, then picking up on drugs, then rehabilitate. They get acceptance from anyone. As far as I can see and hear and read, this was not really there in the 70's. AFAIK, most of the ones who got into pop culture back then were mostly, comparatively, were more mature. They understood the themes and imagery of the lyrics. Today's pop culture users (aka children) wouldn't. They also reject virtuosity, preferring simpler stuff talking about typical topics like boyfriends/girlfriends, crushes, Lamborghinis and Hollywood mansions. That's also why punk survives. Simplicity. Also, to exacerbate the obscurity of virtuoso rock, electric guitars are getting less and less popular. As you may know, pop stars are massive influences on the impressionable children. They want to emulate idols. But, electric guitars are costly and time consuming to set up, learn and play. But not so much acoustic guitars. They can be picked up and played almost immediately. So acoustic guitars, utilizing very old technology are still going strong, as electric guitars are going slowly. Notice what happened just merely with the spread of the internet!!

Basically, God knows what would've happened to Deacon should he become super famous. Maybe it won't happen to him. Idk.

And lastly, sorry if I am wrong somewhere. These are all just my observations and opinions. Feel free to point any fallacy.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #45
maryc2130
Border Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
I definitely don't agree with this assessment that Don Henley is somehow harder to replace than Glenn Frey. Glenn was a much better singer to my ears than Don ever was. Still, I do NOT agree that Glenn would be easier to replace. Glenn had every bit as much a unique and great voice as Don did. I prefer Glenn's voice.

They are equally replaceable or irreplaceable, depending on how you look at it. There is nothing that makes one less replaceable than the other.

For my money's worth, Glenn was just as important if not more important to the Eagles as/than Don. Obviously if you are a Don fan your opinion will be the opposite of mine and that's fine. But Glenn is not replaceable. Or Don is just as replaceable as Glenn, however you want to look at it. But they are equal.
I understand that you prefer Glenn's voice. I think Glenn had a great voice, and I love his lead vocals, but I prefer Don's voice. I'm not going to make any statements about whose is better because that just creates division and when it comes down to it, it's personal opinion.

However, I would argue that Don's voice is better suited for the rockers that you love so well. Don's voice is a bit edgier and perfect for rockers like HC, LITFL, and VOL. I know you said you don't care so much about the vocals, harmonies and lyrics, but I don't believe HC would be nearly as big a hit without Don's vocals. I know it wouldn't without his lyrics.
maryc2130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #46
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
I understand that you prefer Glenn's voice. I think Glenn had a great voice, and I love his lead vocals, but I prefer Don's voice. I'm not going to make any statements about whose is better because that just creates division and when it comes down to it, it's personal opinion.

However, I would argue that Don's voice is better suited for the rockers that you love so well. Don's voice is a bit edgier and perfect for rockers like HC, LITFL, and VOL. I know you said you don't care so much about the vocals, harmonies and lyrics, but I don't believe HC would be nearly as big a hit without Don's vocals. I know it wouldn't without his lyrics.
True, his voice on those songs is great but Glenn also had Already Gone, James Dean, and Good Day In Hell (which does feature Don as well). Don had the raspy edge and Glenn had the attitude and IMO a bit of a loose unrestrained thing going on. Maybe less edge in his voice and more edge in his personality and presence onstage. To me Glenn had more of the rock attitude and swagger going on, but he also wasn't stuck behind a drum set. To me he had more of a stage presence and a bit more of a showman, which factors into things for me too. To me Glenn kind of fit the description somewhat of the song James Dean. He lost some of it probably by choice later on but watch any of the live stuff and he's got a lot of energy and rock swagger that I associate with Mick Jagger. It's infectious. Watch TIE on the Capital Centre gig. That was one rocking performance and Glenn looked to be having the time of his life. It didn't do Don any favors to be stuck behind the drums so much back then. Now, he's out front more but more restrained and more reserved. I feel like if he had been out front more in the 70s he might of had a bit more of that swagger and stage presence that Glenn had.

IMO, as a rock n' roll fan, the Eagles got to be a bit too stuffy later on for my tastes. I think they got more stuffy after HFO. At least they ditched the funeral suits and appeared to get a bit more loose and informal as the set went on, but the phrase corporate rock comes to mind. I loved the shows I saw, but I wish I could have seen them in the wild 70s! From a guy who loves AC/DC, and that rock energy, they got a bit too tame. I understand maturing some and not partying, but you don't have to be geriatric and fall asleep (figuratively) onstage.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #47
Dawn
Stuck on the Border

Glenn Frey had charisma and was a natural leader and frontman. I would not say the same about Don Henley.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:55 PM   #48
YoungEaglesFan
Border Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
Glenn Frey had charisma and was a natural leader and frontman. I would not say the same about Don Henley.
In terms of a band during a concert setting absolutely. I think however they did a good job sharing leadership in band decisions and the creating of the music. But you’re right about being a frontman. Glenn was peerless in that regard within the band
YoungEaglesFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:50 AM   #49
Dawn
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
In terms of a band during a concert setting absolutely. I think however they did a good job sharing leadership in band decisions and the creating of the music. But you’re right about being a frontman. Glenn was peerless in that regard within the band
I think there is no question how important Glenn Frey was in terms of his vision and his leadership. If you watch the concerts you see it is always Glenn Frey calling the shots, communicating with the musicians and the audience - he was most definitely the leader. Bands need a leader as much as they do a frontman He was both. And he did his job beautifully.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #50
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border

Well said Dawn.