The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Eagles Discussion Areas > On the Road with the Eagles > Tour Talk

Tour Talk Discuss generalized aspects of live Eagles-related shows.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #1
Backstage_Dave
Out on the Border

Default HOTE 1977, I worked at the Capital Centre

Hello All,

I saw the Eagles a number of times at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia, Md, and photographed them for a Baltimore paper I worked for. (think I was 17 then) Bernie was with them, with his hair intact.

I was the Sound/Lighting guy at the Capital Centre in Landover for several years, I saw lots of Capitals Hockey, bless em, before they could win, lots of basketball. 4 nights of Led Zeppelin in May 1977... total MAYHEM. What a place to grow up.

At the Capital Centre one duty on show days was to assist the stagehands with their needs, I was not union and didn't touch or move anything pertaining to the show. I kept the spotlights in tune, lubed and ready for the shows, also ran house headsets to all spotlights on stage and throughout the house.

At the Capital Centre the Eagles performed for 2 nights. There was a mobile recording studio back stage, possibly RCA's "Big Red" I have photos somewhere. I was in it, it was cool. The shows used colored gels for spots and stage lighting, not ideal for making a movie so there was a plan. The day of the second show, there was a stagehand call for the afternoon, spotlight operators and the usual guys on stage and the deck. There was scaffolding set up in front of the stage and on that went a film crew. The Hotel California scrim was also in place behind the stage as it wasn't used during the public shows as there was seating there. Stage lights and spots had gels removed so white light was used. The band arrived and soon was on stage playing a number of songs for the film crew. I was sitting in the stands off to the side of the stage and was asked to leave the front area which I did. The backstage pass was a wristband with the Hotel California HC printed on it. Anyway, they played a song, stopped, talked about it then continued playing. This probably took 2 hours or more. After the show that night they were packing out, I saw the set list from the monitor on the floor and picked it up as a souvenier, It's in a box from my days of rock and roll. I often wondered who actually wrote the list. So, now when you watch HOTE, look for the band playing with white lights and the HC scrim and compare to playing for a live audience. Both shows were sold out, both awesome performances. Randy hit the high notes too. Still my and my wife's favorite band and we will see them Thursday 26 July in Washington DC. Too bad we won't be back stage like the good old days.

Don't know if I can post a link, here is one of my photos of the Eagles playing for the film crew afternoon performance. I have more, didn't see anyone else taking photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139451...7663542083022/
Backstage_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
YoungEaglesFan
Border Rebel

Default Re: HOTE 1977, I worked at the Capital Centre

Wow! First welcome to the Border! That is really cool you were there for that concert and filming. I know a whoke bunch of people are going to be interested in your experiences. That is too bad about the empty house filming as it taints the performance a bit but that is ok. If at all possible, I would love to see that setlist. Maybe a picture or if you could transcribe it onto to here that would be amazing. Anyway thanks for the information! I hope you enjoy the concert you will be attending soon.
YoungEaglesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #3
LuvTim
Stuck on the Border

Welcome! So happy you are here and willing to share memories and photos.

Have a great time at the concert!

It's all in your smile that brings
All of the special things about you
LuvTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:15 AM   #4
cosec3791
Border Desperado

Hello.

Thanks for the information and post! Was great reading them.

Unfortunately, your post unwittingly proved my suspicions: Capital Center is fake.

I hypothesize now, that the footage we see is the one for the cameramen, with maybe a few shots mixed with audience. The audio meanwhile was already overdubbed in that recording studio (that backstage one) in 1977 itself. What they all had to do was make a mishmash of the already overdubbed footage and then release it. No wonder the camera angles were wonderful. I do doubt that in 1977, they could achieve such good camera angles like that while it is on the spot (it is possible in the 90's though). Even a little bit of banter might've been for the cameras. And this could also mean, only those 8 songs were recorded after all. Really disappointing.

You WERE EXTREMELY lucky to see them in '77, in the untainted show too. Do you have any recollection of cameras being there in the real show? Interestingly, one member's friend claimed that there were no camera in the actual show.

And lastly, can you do us a huge favor (pretty please??) and post the setlist. I wanna know the veracity of the online setlists on setlist.fm versus what was performed.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
My My
Border Desperado

Welcome, Dave. How awesome that you were at those iconic shows! Thanks for posting your memories and the picture. Have a great time at the concert tomorrow night!
My My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Backstage_Dave
Out on the Border

Thanks, I was a young guy, working at an arena made for very long day. Load in started at 7AM, the last truck was gone about 1AM.

The intention was not to imply any conspiracy. The Capital Centre was the first arena to have in-house video screens for the audience. Therefore they had broadcast quality television cameras and studio. During the show a producer switched between cameras, this was shown in the arena and also fed to the Sky Suite TV's. This system was used for sports too. Many news outlets used their feed for sports highlights.

There were 2 Capital Centre video cameras on stage, maybe more, one is seen in the photo. Many, maybe most performers purchased professional videotapes of their performance, it made business sense to record there with their high quality equipment and expertise with such events.

To me, there was no difference between the live audience performances and the film shoot. The technical difference being that the show lighting makes for poor video, thus re shoot portions with white light. If anything performing to an empty house is more difficult than before a sold out house.
Backstage_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #7
Ive always been a dreamer

Location: Cruising down the center of a two-way street in Virginia

Hi Dave and welcome. How exciting that you were there for those Capital Centre shows.

I would have to agree with you that just because the show was taped in an empty house doesn't mean the performance wasn't live. Just because there was no audience doesn't make it fake - it is still the band performing. Whether some folks like it or not, I daresay there are not many officially released performances by any band that are not edited in some manner. Personally, I have no problem with this type of doctoring as long as it is the band members that are singing and playing - it just means we get a higher quality product. While I appreciate some bootlegs, the audio and video are often times sub-par.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016
Ive always been a dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
groupie2686
Border Rebel

Dave, very cool! And welcome! Do you still have the setlist, by any chance?
groupie2686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
East Texas Girl
Border Rebel

Wow, Dave, that is so cool!! What a great experience you had working there!

Do you by chance know about how many songs they performed during their "empty house" recording? Was it just the 8 songs that were included in HOTE dvd set?

It makes no difference to me if it was all recorded live or not; as Dreamer said it was still the guys performing, singing and playing those wonderful tunes!!

I too would like a look at that setlist, it would prove once and for all if Randy did perform Try And Love Again at those dates.

Oh, and welcome to The Border! Have a great time at your concert! I would love to see more of your pictures!
East Texas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #10
Delilah
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Dave View Post
Hello All,

I saw the Eagles a number of times at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia, Md, and photographed them for a Baltimore paper I worked for. (think I was 17 then) Bernie was with them, with his hair intact.

At the Capital Centre the Eagles performed for 2 nights. There was a mobile recording studio back stage, possibly RCA's "Big Red" I have photos somewhere. I was in it, it was cool. The shows used colored gels for spots and stage lighting, not ideal for making a movie so there was a plan. The day of the second show, there was a stagehand call for the afternoon, spotlight operators and the usual guys on stage and the deck. There was scaffolding set up in front of the stage and on that went a film crew. The Hotel California scrim was also in place behind the stage as it wasn't used during the public shows as there was seating there. Stage lights and spots had gels removed so white light was used. The band arrived and soon was on stage playing a number of songs for the film crew. I was sitting in the stands off to the side of the stage and was asked to leave the front area which I did. The backstage pass was a wristband with the Hotel California HC printed on it. Anyway, they played a song, stopped, talked about it then continued playing. This probably took 2 hours or more. After the show that night they were packing out, I saw the set list from the monitor on the floor and picked it up as a souvenier, It's in a box from my days of rock and roll. I often wondered who actually wrote the list. So, now when you watch HOTE, look for the band playing with white lights and the HC scrim and compare to playing for a live audience. Both shows were sold out, both awesome performances. Randy hit the high notes too. Still my and my wife's favorite band and we will see them Thursday 26 July in Washington DC. Too bad we won't be back stage like the good old days.
Welcome to the board, Backstage Dave and thanks for sharing your Eagles memories! How awesome you got to see this line-up perform up close.

There has long been speculation that the Capital Centre concert was filmed over 2 nights due to inconsistencies in the different shots. But now it is much clearer what happened and Cosec did point out a while back that much of it was “faked.” While this is kind of disappointing, it’s also kind of funny imagining these guys performing in front of a basically empty venue. It seems a lot of “live” recordings by different artists aren’t so live anyway. Also, I have noticed how Randy was always in reddish lighting, probably due to his shyness.

I too would love to know the setlist and what other songs were performed and filmed. Enjoy tomorrow’s show!

Take it to the limit, one more time.
Delilah is offline   Reply With Quote