Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Default Re: computers

Quote Originally Posted by Witchy Woman View Post
    FWIW, when someone asks me which one I like, I always tell them Kaspersky. I don't need the antivirus, but it has worked extremely well for other family members. Webroot is mostly cloud based, so it doesn't hog up as much RAM as the other guys. It only takes a few minutes to fully install as well. I've never been "encouraged" to offer one specific product. All I do is be honest in my opinion.
    Great. And I'm sure every place is different. I've just heard from a lot of clients that they really push Webroot and I know they use it a lot for their MRI tool. But they've been doing that since back when it was called Spy Sweeper - way before SecureAnywhere came out.

Webroot is cloud based which has it's pluses and minuses. One is that it gets updates quicker, but sometimes it lacks the other features of a IS suite or high end antivirus like a HIPS/sandbox/application control...

A lot of times these days though I just install CryptoPrevent from FoolishIT anyway which keeps EXE's out of AppData/ProgramData and really cuts down on a lot of malware. No executable should be in those folders and that's where 99.999% percent of malware goes. So that plus a good AV will be pretty effective.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I have just gotten a program on my computer (by accident cause I didn't want it or try to get it!)and I can't get it deleted. It's called Optimizer Pro. It pops up uninvited and wants to clean up my computer, but says I have to register. I don't even want it! I tried to uninstall it through the uninstall programs area and it won't do it. It pops up and says "runtime error". Help!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I have just gotten a program on my computer (by accident cause I didn't want it or try to get it!)and I can't get it deleted. It's called Optimizer Pro. It pops up uninvited and wants to clean up my computer, but says I have to register. I don't even want it! I tried to uninstall it through the uninstall programs area and it won't do it. It pops up and says "runtime error". Help!
    BAD piece of spyware/adware/malware.

Please go and run Malwarebytes and then run AdwCleaner by Bleeping Computer. Open it, hit accept on the terms, hit scan, then clean it and restart.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Brooke....do what Austin suggests!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I've removed this for several clients lately.

AdwCleaner should get it....definitely run it and also run Malwarebytes. I'd run Malwarebytes first and then AdwCleaner will remove the remnants and any other adware on the system.

If you need help, I can remote in and fix it for you. But running ADW is pretty straightforward.

On the off chance those programs don't catch it, let me know. I have two others to try as a backup (HitmanPro, by SurfRight and Junkware Removal Tool, by Bleeping Computer).

Off to do it! Thanks guys!

I'm all fixed! Thanks again! Eagles fans are the best!

Glad to hear it's fixed....that's a very common piece of malware to get these days....

Something weird just happened, I got the blue screen so I rebooted and went to safe mode, then I shut the computer down and started it up again and now its back to normal.

Could be a fluke, could be something...

Run a scan with your AV and Malwarebytes just to be on the safe side.