Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should bands continue?

Stuck on the Border

Default Should bands continue?

We've had lots of discussion about whether Eagles should have continued after the death of Glenn Frey. But what about other bands? Is anyone up for such a discussion?

The most extreme case I can think of is The Little River Band which continues to tour, despite not having any original members. Wikipedia lists 31 former members! According to the current bass player it’s not the players but the songs that matter for bands that have been around as long as LRB..

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Should bands continue?

Well he would say that, wouldn't he We all need to make a living. And it's not an easy life to be traveling extensively when one is in their 60s and 70s.

If people still want to see a certain band and enjoy their music, what could be the harm?

Some critics have been saying for years that the Stones should hang it up. But every time I've seen them - from the late 1990s to the 2000s - they were outstanding, absolutely magic.

I guess it depends. I will give you some example.

Journey: They have been through a lot of personnel changes through the years, but only have one original member who technically stayed with the band even when they took a break that's Neal Schon. Sad to say. I wouldn't see Journey without Steve Perry. That's just me.

Styx: They've been through a lot of personnel changes over the years too. They got rid of their original lead singer, Dennis DeYoung and still have some of their original members in there even though one has died. To think aboutit . I think I would see Styx without Dennis DeYoung. I actually Tommy Shaw and Dennis is still touring.

Chicago: I'm a Peter Cetera fan. So I won't see them without Peter and actually Peter is coming to my state in September. So I will see him then.

Foreigner: I'm not really a Foreigner fan, but I did like Lou Gramm. They continued on and I think Mick Jones is the last original member still in the band.

Van Halen: They continued after David Lee Roth left and got Sammy Hagar.

Queen: Their lead singer has been dead going on 26 years and John Deacon has been gone from over 25 years, but I would see them because I actually like Adam Lambert and two of the original members are still in the band.

Earth, Wind, and Fire: They continued after Maurice White retired from touring and I have seen Earth, Wind, and Fire without Maurice and they still sounded good.

Genesis: They continued after Peter Gabriel left and Phil Collins became their permanent lead singer instead of sharing leads with Peter.

The Who: They continued after Keith Moon and John died. They could had easily stopped when John died, but Pete and Roger are the singers the fans think and know as the Who. If you lose one of them, I think they would break up.

The Rolling Stones: If Mick was gone, that's it with the Rolling Stones.

The Temptations: OMG!!! How they have been through a lot of changes. Majority of their original members are dead. The only surviving, founding original member that's still alive is Otis Williams. He has new people touring with them and he has the legal rights to use the name "The Temptations" since he founded that group. I think I remembered their was a lawsuit back in the day of former members wanted to use the name. They lost and Otis won.

The Eagles: Everybody in the group is popular, but here you have two members who has been there since the beginning. Even though Glenn is gone and he was a founding/original member who has been there the longest with Don, Don is still there and and like Don said. You are hear for the music. I would had still seen the Eagles if it was Don. If Glenn decided to continued, who would sing Don songs. Scott Crago would do the drumming, but who will sing Don songs. Would Irving and Glenn asked one of Don's children to help. Don has said his son was a great drumming, but can he sing? Don also said Sophie has a nice voice, but would she want to do that? But that's another story. I'm getting off topic.

SO should they continued? It depends. They are going to continue no matter what. On one hand, the fans will still see them because their favorites are still in the band. On the other hand, some fans would not see them because their lead singer they like is gone.

Its probably been a handful of groups that stopped after their lead singer or popular person left or died. If you're not up front or don't know any of the band's members, nobody is going to see you.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

And then there's Fleetwood Mac who just played a show with only their original drummer and bassist.

I'm softening in attitude to these partial groups. For me the key thing is whether they can still play and sing well enough.

Last year, my brother saw Wishbone Ash. He said they were pretty good. I might have passed because the only original member is guitarist Andy Powell and yet I would have seen Martin Turner on his "Argus 45th Anniversary Tour" if I'd realised he was playing locally (how did I miss that?). For me, he's the voice and writer of the classic Wishbone Ash.

I forgot about Fleetwood Mac. So many members went through and their popular lineup was Stevie, Lindsey, Christine, Mick and John. Stevie, Lindsey, and Christine left the group after different times, and tried new people, but it didn't work. I think it didn't even work when Lindsey left and Stevie/Christine were still in the group. They had to get two guitar players after Lindsey left.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

I think it is completely the decision of the remaining members of the band. It is our decision as fans whether or not we want to see or hear them.

It isn't my call or judgment to make whether a band should or shouldn't continue.

Bands may continue because they want/need the money. Bands may continue because they enjoy playing. But for whatever reason, if they get what they want from continuing, then yes they should.

As Shun listed above, there are many reiterations of bands that would cause some fans to attend and some to not. Some fans like to hear the music like it was on the record. Some are there to see the original person.

Journey for example, may sound more like the original recording with Arnel than if Steve Perry was to sing now. Some fans want to see Steve; some fans may say Steve doesn't sound as good as he did back in the day. Similarly, Foreigner may sound more like the original recording with Kelly Hansen than Lou Gramm.

I saw "The Guess Who" at a fairground a couple of years ago. The only original member is the bass player who only sings backup vocals. They sound nothing like they did when Burton Cummings and Randy Bachman was with them. Would I pay to go see them? No. Would I pay to go see Burton Cummings sing "The Guess Who" songs? Yes. Do I think they shouldn't continue as a band? My answer is, "They should do whatever they like."

I don't think the fans should dictate what the bands should or shouldn't do - other than their own personal choice of whether or not they want to see or hear them.

Everyone has there opinion but when I read, "Don should or shouldn't do this or that"; or "Don should just let the Eagles end with Glenn's passing.", I think Don should do what Don wants to do - not what I think he should do that suits me.

Stuck on the Border

The Fleetwood Mac lineup with Peter Green was popular, too. I've just learned that Peter Green was part of the Fleetwood Mac RRHoF induction but instead of playing with Fleetwood Mac, he played "Black Magic Woman" with Santana (a song he wrote and played with Fleetwood Mac and that Santana covered a few years later and had a big hit).

Should bands continue? It may not be the best idea (see Lynyrd Skynyrd) but it's up to the band. This post sums it up well.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeeaglesfan View Post
    I think it is completely the decision of the remaining members of the band. It is our decision as fans whether or not we want to see or hear them.

It isn't my call or judgment to make whether a band should or shouldn't continue.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

It's a fair point about "should" and I should have avoided using that word in the thread title. Of course, what I mean is
    "How do you feel about bands continuing?"

Perhaps the message is that anyone intending seeing a "classic" band should do the research to find out what they would be getting.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    And then there's Fleetwood Mac who just played a show with only their original drummer and bassist.
    Isn't it crazy how the two fundamental members of that band, its namesakes, are the drummer and bassist? I think that may be unique in all of rock'n'roll.

As much as I love Stevie and Lindsey, they're not necessary to Fleetwood Mac. Oh, I guess they are commercially at this point, but that's not what I'm talking about. They're not Fleetwood Mac. They are part of its current line-up. Mick and John are the heart of Fleetwood Mac.

John McVie was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, and we fans wondered if the band would continue if he died from it. Thankfully, he went into remission, but it's a black could that hangs over the band. It's a similar situation to Glenn. And, like with Glenn, I would think it wasn't really Fleetwood Mac if they continued without John McVie.

"But can't they just hire a session musician to duplicate his sound?" You might ask. "Wouldn't it sound just fine?"

Yeah. Yeah, I'm sure it would.

Maybe it's just stupid to care about such things.

ETA: Sorry, didn't mean to bring the thread down. Thinking about that scenario made me really sad because it might very well happen. Anyway, I guess you have to take it case by case in terms of whether you think a band should continue or not. So many circumstances come into play.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten