Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Hands guitar solos

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Too Many Hands guitar solos

I don't know much about guitar sounds, but I've always assumed that the parts I've always thought of as Felder have a Les Paul Standard with the bridge pick up on.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    A Les Paul Junior would have a brighter, more punchy sound than the smoother tone of a Les Paul Standard (a Burst like Felder would have), then again Felder may have used a Strat, hard to say.
    That's a pretty much perfect description of what I hear in terms of the difference between the sounds of the duelling guitars - thank you much! So for example the part from 4:01 to 4:05 has the 'brighter' sound which I think is Glenn whereas 4:06 to 4:10 has the 'smoother' (but I would say also more authoritative) sound which I reckon is Felder.

I agree with Toni in thinking that Don F is probably using a Les Paul, although I think this probably confuses matters more as we don't agree on which parts he's playing! So I'll try to explain what I hear as best as possible. I think my perception of the guitar work on this song is shaped by listening to the album in full from front to back. The way I hear it is that if I listen to One Of These Nights then listen to Too Many Hands, the lead guitar sound on most of the song (including the first solo) reminds me of the sound of the lead guitars and solo on the title track. This makes me think it's probably the same player and guitarist, hence Felder playing a Les Paul.

Delilah, the only other released song from the 'original four plus Felder' era that to my knowledge features both Glenn and Don F playing lead guitars is Already Gone, but there they are playing harmonised solo parts rather than a duel, and from what I've read also some harmonised guitars on One Of These Nights (although only Felder takes a solo there). I'm really not sure about who plays the leads on Visions, so that's another possible, but pretty much every other song from that epoch I think is pretty straightforward in having either Don F or Bernie as lead guitarist and playing any solos.

Stuck on the Border

I've probably been concentrating too much on the playing and not enough on sound. I agree that when compared to the title track the sound of "your Don/my Glenn" is similar. So the sound would suggest it's Felder, but the playing would suggest (to me) that it's Glenn.

Having said that, I have always felt that the sound of "your Glenn/my Don" is too wide and punchy to be Glenn (I think Felder could have easily achieved that sound for such a rocking song if he had wanted to). IMO Glenn's lead sound is rather "thin" in King Hollywood, for example. But of course mic replacements can alter the sound.

It seems that the person who "confirmed" what I'm thinking isn't around here anymore. I would like to hear how certain he/she is about his recollection of who played what on that gig. But I'm close to being convinced that we are mistaken, although those rakes and pinched harmonics still sound like Glenn to me.
    Last edited by chaim; 11-05-2016 at 04:03 AM.

Stuck on the Border

Default Too Many Hands solos

I tried to find one of the threads where the leads guitar parts in this song have been discussed, but couldn't find any, so I'll start a new thread. Months ago I sent a message to Don Felder via Facebook about who plays what, and only today I noticed that Don has replied at some point! Turns out that I was wrong and the people who disagreed with me were right - including Austin, I think. The guitar part I thought was Glenn is Don and vice versa. So, in the "duel" at the end Glenn plays the first part. Well, Don actually said that Glenn starts first with the low bend, but he must have meant the final "duel".

So, it's Don, not Glenn, who plays my favorite licks in this song. I stand corrected.

Banned

Default Re: Too Many Hands solos

Glenn said his guitar solos were always favored by the bass players

It was in this Don Felder thread.

I'm impressed Don F would remember--how long ago was that? I wonder if the Eagles OOTN tour is the last time he's performed that song. I would have loved to see him and Glenn play those parts live.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    It was in this Don Felder thread.

I'm impressed Don F would remember--how long ago was that? I wonder if the Eagles OOTN tour is the last time he's performed that song. I would have loved to see him and Glenn play those parts live.
    I'm not sure if he remembered. He may have listened to the song to be able to answer my question (of course he would recognize which one is Glenn and which one is him) - and I'm certainly impressed and grateful if he went through the trouble.

I can't believe I couldn't find that thread. I wrote "too many hands" in the search box and looked for topics!

Ah yes, you're probably right.

I find it's more useful to search in "posts" rather than the other option ("threads" I think).

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Naturally the threads must be merged.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Wow - of all the days for me to post on here! I remember the original discussion very well. Great to hear that Don answered your question, and kudos to him for remembering who played which parts on the record after so many years. My inkling was always that it was Glenn playing the first part because the tone of the other guitar licks always reminded me of Don's sound on One Of These Nights. Either way I'm glad it's been confirmed now.