Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Chicago

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Chicago

I saw Chicago for the first time in concert last night - they were awesome! They seem to enjoy their music as much as the audience, especially Jimmy Pankow who is... words fail me. He's like a very manic jazzercise instructor with a trombone. A huge personality.

I did the meet and greet before the show and got to shake paws with Lee Loughnane and Robert Lamm. Lee can sing! I did not know. He sings Colour My World, and has a confident, soulful voice. On a girly note, he has amazing big blue eyes. There wasn't time for conversation, which saved me from embarrassing myself

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, Lee sang some of his songs in the 70's on the albums plus one of Terry's. I think he also sings a couple of bits in Lamm's "Something in this city changes people".

Stuck on the Border

NMB - Very cool that you got to see Chicago and do the meet and greet. I always loved Chicago but unfortunately never saw them in concert. Sounds like it was a great show.

You still have time! I don't think they're going to retire for a few more years.

Sounds like a great show! I'm not surprised-I've always liked them. So glad you had a terrific night with such talented folks!!

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Thanks, Luvy!

Not to go OT, but the Doobie Brothers (the opening act or co-headliners, not sure how it's being billed) were really great too - some people said better than Chicago in terms of pacing/song choice. Chicago has some ponderous lower-energy songs in the early part of the set, whereas the Doobies come out of the gate with three well-known rockers and keep the crowd fired up throughout.

So New Kid, if they're playing near you, this might be the tour to see.

Quote Originally Posted by alreadygone View Post
    Robert Lamm - he seems sort of the most cerebral of all of the original members. He wrote a lot of the sort of "meta" songs such as "Does Anybody Really know what Time it Is". Had he never been in Chicago - he seems like someone who could have been a professor.
    How insightful of you - according to Wiki, he has indeed lectured at the university level:
    Lamm has been a guest lecturer on music production at Stanford University. In 2012, he lectured at New York University on the subject of songwriting.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    How insightful of you - according to Wiki, he has indeed lectured at the university level:
    Lamm has been a guest lecturer on music production at Stanford University. In 2012, he lectured at New York University on the subject of songwriting.
    little bit of trivia ...

Lamm's ex wife Karen (now deceased) was once married to Beach Boy Dennis Wilson. Twice.

Karen Lamm was one of the most beautiful women, wasn't she? I thought so. A classic California girl, even though she was from Indiana I believe.

I would have liked to ask Mr. Lamm about her if I had the nerve, but I'm sure he would've slugged me. As you know, Robert Lamm was in a group/recording project with Carl Wilson in the 90s. And of course the Beach Boys toured with Chicago in the 70s (they shared a manager) and sang back-up on Chicago's "Wishing You Were Here."

Mr. Lamm gave an interview to Parade magazine:
    https://parade.com/536157/pauletteco...ry-of-chicago/

It's interesting how he answers every question fully, in paragraphs, but when she says, "It must have been very difficult for you when Peter Cetera became the focus, since you had written all of the early hits" (paraphrasing here) and Robert simply responds, "Yes."

Speaks volumes I think, and of course no one could blame him. That's human.
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 07-06-2017 at 09:01 AM.