Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    (I bolded part of this quote to emphasize the part I am addressing.)

Are you sure he owns the Eagles? What about Glenn's share? We don't know if it reverted to Henley on his death or if Glenn's family now owns his half of the Eagles. Also, it doesn't seem as though Henley is making all the decisions. He, Timothy, and Joe have all talked about meeting to decide what to do next, and clearly they also got the go-ahead from Glenn's family on this. Irving Azoff undoubtedly has some kind of a say as well.
    I think your assessment could be accurate to some degree. However when push comes to shove, it was always Frey and Henley making the final decisions. This was true even when there were 5 owners of Eagles Ltd.
    Now that Frey has passed away, Henley undoubtedly makes the final decisions.
    Granted if everyone else revolted, he'd be hard pressed to go on the road with backing musicians and call it the Eagles. Still his latest decision to reform the Eagles with Deacon Frey, Vince Gil, is something he'd had to have had a hand in.
    Why he is not bringing back Leadon alone is enough of a mystery. Not inviting back Meisner and Felder not so much so.

As to the upcoming concerts, I know of at least one guy who bought tickets to the upcoming concert and is pissed. He was under the impression that all the former Eagles were going to be included based on reports he heard. Now that it looks like none of them are, he does not want to go. I cannot believe the amount of money some people are willing to spend, especially with Frey and no former Eagles being a part of it.

The sad part for me is I see no effort to reconcile the past.
    A buddy who I've discussed the Eagles with sent me this YT video about how some bands try to diminish or outright exclude members who fall out of favor. I was expecting one of the groups to be the Eagles. However even without them included, some of the things other bands have done mirrors what happened to the former members.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kt18ca16I

I'm sure others can see some comparisons as well.

`
    `

Lightbulb Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    Thanks, all. I understand this can be a very touchy subject. And without ragging on Felder at all, it's a tempting thing when you're writing about this kind of thing to make sure you present yourself in the best light possible, and gloss over your own shortcomings. I think Joe and Tim made it very clear in HOTE that there was plenty of blame to go around; there usually is in such a situation. 23.5 years at a newspaper taught me there's NEVER just one side to a story. There may be many sides, and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

I do think about what Felder said after Glenn passed. He wished he'd made things right. It's a shame when it takes the death of a friend to help you understand those things you thought were so important really weren't. I'm sure Don thought about that a lot when the news broke. I thought his response was heartbreaking. It's a lesson in making sure you take care of things like that on this side of the river.

People demonized Paul over the breakup of the Beatles, too, over very similar issues. I think time and more information have exonerated him. So many of the same factors were at work. And when you have that many creative people in one place, you're going to get friction. It's inevitable. I've seen reporters come close to having a knock-down, drag out brawl in the newsroom over creative differences. Occupational hazard.

I'm not about to throw rocks. My glass walls are waaaayyy too thin for that. LOL.
    You make some good points that fans of a particular band member tend to forget or overlook regarding who they perceive as the main focal point of derision.
    I myself went from not knowing these guys individually (but liking most of their music), to finding out unpleasant things about certain members. Then I went on a quest hoping to find it was not true. However what I found out, and my perception of such, put me at odds with some of the other forum members here.
    Yet if you read the comments on many Youtube videos, it is clear I am not alone in my thinking regarding Frey and/or Henley.

Still that video I posted in my last post shows other bands kick out and even try to erase any memory of some former members.
    That also reminds me of what Schmit commented on in HOE, that all bands are on the verge of breaking up at any moment.
    There are obvious exceptions of course. Groups like Def Leopard and Rush come to mind.

BTW - I am not sure if anyone has seen this advertisement for the new Disney/Pixar movie Cars 3, but it has TITTL playing as the musical score. Having watched the first two films, the music might well be a great fit for the implied theme of this new sequel.
    Here is the video clip;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HusZbDM2fkk

I can only imagine the Eagles were paid ungodly amounts of money for it's use, and hopefully Meisner will get a nice cut of the proceeds.

`
    `

No, you're definitely not alone in your thinking, but just because we, the fans, see things a certain way, doesn't mean that's the way they actually are. And not trying to flame anyone or start a war here, but honestly, I don't pay much attention to YouTube comments, 99% of the time. Anyone can post anything without taking any responsibility for what they say. I've seen some utterly ridiculous comments there that stretch credibility to paper-thin limits. Many on this board have said they felt the issues were much more complex than we realize, and there was a lot of blame to go around, and certainly, their opinions are just as valid as those on YouTube.

That being the case, I'm going on the accounts of people who knew Glenn personally, worked with him, and had no axe to grind either way. These people say yeah, Glenn was intense, and a perfectionist where the music was concerned, but also a good man. I tend to believe them, since I've met a few of them in person and consider them friends.

I'm not saying there was never any basis for Felder's issues. I'm sure at the time, none of them were easy to deal with. The whole "artistic temperament" thing is not just blowing smoke. However, I know people do change, and the fact that Felder now wishes he'd picked up the phone tells me he realizes he had some fault in the situation, too. I've rarely, if ever, seen a situation where a dispute was totally one-sided. It takes two (at least) to make war.

I just reiterate that Glenn managed to keep a marriage together for over 20 years, with a woman who was obviously devoted to him, was a great dad whose children loved him, and was always kind to his fans. These things tell me what I need to know about his character.

I think it might be a good idea to simply agree to disagree on this subject. I think there are people on both sides who have very strong opinions, most of whom are unlikely to change their minds. Peace and blessings.

Banned

I think it might be a good idea to simply agree to disagree on this subject. I think there are people on both sides who have very strong opinions, most of whom are unlikely to change their minds. Peace and blessings.
    This is a discussion board. It's better to give your opinions than keep schtum.
    Now that Randy is making moves towards playing again, the possibility of all the surviving Eagles reuniting again becomes a possibility.

Did I read it right that, Vince and his manager initiated his role as Glenn's (not) replacement. Maybe he's the type that would also instigate a project with Bernie, Randy and Don (F) in future.

Currently I'm preparing myself for my favourite band going on stage as a 70s revival act

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Did I read it right that, Vince and his manager initiated his role as Glenn's (not) replacement. Maybe he's the type that would also instigate a project with Bernie, Randy and Don (F) in future.
    Funk, where did you get that from? I may have missed it or you may have misread.

What I read was that Vince got to know Glenn because they had the same manager. That would probably have been in the 80s after Azoff stopped managing Glenn.

Banned

It's not something I read UndertheWire.

It's from John Beaudin from Rock History Music, who the Meisner fanatics will be well acquainted with.

Gill said the whole thing started out with his management contacting the Eagles management, Irving Azoff, of all the possibility of him joining up with the band but they didn't think that they'd take take him seriously.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFOyE4D9n_U

The pre-2016, Traveling Wilbury's type project, with Joe was a bit of a stunner from Vince too. He's obviously not as bland as I first thought he was.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks. I'd like to know his source as he's not always reliable.

Lightbulb Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

No, you're definitely not alone in your thinking, but just because we, the fans, see things a certain way, doesn't mean that's the way they actually are. And not trying to flame anyone or start a war here, but honestly, I don't pay much attention to YouTube comments, 99% of the time. Anyone can post anything without taking any responsibility for what they say. I've seen some utterly ridiculous comments there that stretch credibility to paper-thin limits. Many on this board have said they felt the issues were much more complex than we realize, and there was a lot of blame to go around, and certainly, their opinions are just as valid as those on YouTube.

That being the case, I'm going on the accounts of people who knew Glenn personally, worked with him, and had no axe to grind either way. These people say yeah, Glenn was intense, and a perfectionist where the music was concerned, but also a good man. I tend to believe them, since I've met a few of them in person and consider them friends.

I'm not saying there was never any basis for Felder's issues. I'm sure at the time, none of them were easy to deal with. The whole "artistic temperament" thing is not just blowing smoke. However, I know people do change, and the fact that Felder now wishes he'd picked up the phone tells me he realizes he had some fault in the situation, too. I've rarely, if ever, seen a situation where a dispute was totally one-sided. It takes two (at least) to make war.

I just reiterate that Glenn managed to keep a marriage together for over 20 years, with a woman who was obviously devoted to him, was a great dad whose children loved him, and was always kind to his fans. These things tell me what I need to know about his character.

Apologies for the late response, as I've meant to reply to your thoughtful post, but have been traveling.
    Other than hardcore Leadon, Meisner or Felder fans who may dislike Frey for his actions (real and/or perceived) that drove away there favorite band member/s, I think most like some of the attributes you mentioned. He certainly deserves credit for helping to assemble one of the most talented American bands in country/R&R history. That combined with recognizing talent to replace those that left and keep getting better is not something just anyone can do.
    For example, Henley was not too keen on having Walsh join at first, but Frey recognized that Walsh combined with Felder would make them a bona fide R&R band.
    This of course does not even touch upon Frey's talent as a musician and singer/songwriter. So yes, there is much to admire and worthy of praise when it comes to Frey.

However, he certainly had his flaws, and he helped to tear apart some of what he put together.
    He like most musicians had a huge ego, and treated his equals with contempt and disrespect at times. He also didn't want to make allowances for other members flaws, yet expected them to accept his. Whether it be from drugs, booze, and/or burnout, he was not introspective or magnanimous enough to see the hypocrisy.
    Thus some of us have a "love-hate" relationship with him.
    Yet as said before, few can demonize him to the point of just being the villain.
    There is certain blame to go around.

About the only thing I disagree with you on, is the notion that just because he had a long marriage and loved his kids, that somehow insulates him from criticism of how he was professionally. Many a tyrant at work can be a loving person toward their families. I don't think anyone, especially not on this board, thinks of him as some monster.
    That is reserved for Henley!
    About the worst thing Frey ever did to my knowledge was sell drugs. His smuggling and usage of illegal drugs was also bad, but he was not a bad person at his core.

`
    `