Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: George Harrison

Default Re: George Harrison

I do think Prince clearly has talent. No question about that, but I have never been a big fan of his.

The lean back on the security guy & the guitar throwing were all planned & staged. That's what I mean about him "grandstanding". He did a great solo, but he just can't leave it at that.... He has to throw that stuff into the show. I can't see any of these other musicians doing something like that..... Just trying to prove his coolness. When you are great.....that stuff isn't necessary. Would have been WAY COOLER without it!

I thought Dhani Harrison was cool. He is the adorable George at that age. It was scary to see him looking exactly like him.

There was a story that Dhani Harrison requested Prince do the solo at that performance in George's memory. Dhani is a big Prince fan and he was sort of his hero and Prince accepted the offer by Dhani to come and play. Some of the others had reservations but did it because Dhani wanted him there. I think it was in an article somewhere. You can see Dhani thanking him at the end of the video.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    There was a story that Dhani Harrison requested Prince do the solo at that performance in George's memory. Dhani is a big Prince fan and he was sort of his hero and Prince accepted the offer by Dhani to come and play. Some of the others had reservations but did it because Dhani wanted him there. I think it was in an article somewhere. You can see Dhani thanking him at the end of the video.

Thanks for that insight Austin. I love the fact that Dhani requested it. Someone else was telling me that they had heard that the other performers had had reservations about it. Well I guess he showed them then.

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat
    The lean back on the security guy & the guitar throwing were all planned & staged. That's what I mean about him "grandstanding". He did a great solo, but he just can't leave it at that.... He has to throw that stuff into the show. I can't see any of these other musicians doing something like that..... Just trying to prove his coolness. When you are great.....that stuff isn't necessary. Would have been WAY COOLER without it!
    When you say, "when you are great...that stuff isn't necessary.", do you mean just for this show or anytime in general? Because as I read this about him throwing stuff into the show, etc... I instantly think of artist like Pete Townsend smashing guitars and Jim Hendrix setting his guitar on fire amongst other famous, highly respected artist and some of the theatrics. Just curious.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    It's a fabulous tribute to the song, but I do think Clapton owns that solo. Prince was grandstanding, as usual, but I think he's a better guitar player than people give him credit for.

Yep I agree, Clapton owns that solo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok....George Harrison was an outstanding musician and talented human being.
    I always thought that While my Guitar gently weeps was written for Eric clapton. Turns out that at that time the beatles were not behaving too well together and George picked up on the fact that the others got along better and behaved better when there was "company" around. SO , the story goes that George asked Eric to come and play.

THe Concert for George is one of my favs right behind Melbourne.'It was done one year to the day that George died. If you havent seen it, watch it.
    Isnt a pity
    ALl things must pass
    What is Life
    Well...I could go on and on but this is an eagles website

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Thanks for that insight Austin. I love the fact that Dhani requested it. Someone else was telling me that they had heard that the other performers had had reservations about it. Well I guess he showed them then.

When you say, "when you are great...that stuff isn't necessary.", do you mean just for this show or anytime in general? Because as I read this about him throwing stuff into the show, etc... I instantly think of artist like Pete Townsend smashing guitars and Jim Hendrix setting his guitar on fire amongst other famous, highly respected artist and some of the theatrics. Just curious.
    I really generally don't like that kind of stuff done by anybody, but Townshend & Hendrix did that in the 60's. I do think they were also grandstanding, & that it wasn't necessary either. I think at that time they were just young & did crazy stuff. I think the Harrison tribute was something that was paying tribute to a famous musician who passed away & who most of these guys were friends with so I think Prince just overdid it a little, trying to make himself the center of attention., where to the others it was paying respect to Harrison's music.

Here is Harrison & Clapton performing the song[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1j9SR2S6H8&feature=player_detailpage"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1j9SR2S6H8&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I really generally don't like that kind of stuff done by anybody, but Townshend & Hendrix did that in the 60's. I do think they were also grandstanding, & that it wasn't necessary either. I think at that time they were just young & did crazy stuff. I think the Harrison tribute was something that was paying tribute to a famous musician who passed away & who most of these guys were friends with so I think Prince just overdid it a little, trying to make himself the center of attention., where to the others it was paying respect to Harrison's music.

Here is Harrison & Clapton performing the songhttp://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...yer_detailpage
    I agree "the others were just paying respect to their friend and his music"
    Not grandstanding

By the way I was at that concert for Bangladesh. I was 14 & it was one of my first concerts!!! I was in a trance at that show because I could not believe what I was witnessing........If you notice Clapton at the end of the song casually takes his cigarette off the end of his guitar to smoke it.
    Yes, that's Ringo back there on drums & Leon Russell on keyboards.
    I have my ticket stub from this show. I paid $6.50 to see this at Madison Square Garden!! Pretty hard to believe!

I'm sorry but I don't see how Prince is "grandstanding". There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Stage antics of Prince or Townshend, or Hendrix.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Thanks for acknowledging that he is a better guitar player than given credit for. I think anyone who has been or is familiar with his long career, has known that he's more talented than MOST out there. Starting from his very first solo album, For You (which I'm proud to say I am an owner of a first pressing that I've had since it came out), which he not only played all the instruments on but composed and produced at the tender age of only 20.

Prince is a guitar GOD and can hold his own up against about any other guitar player, including Clapton, whom I would be willing to bet, would agree, out there. He is, always has been and always will be, a showman which does NOT mean he's "grandstanding" and in no way diminishes the man's talents. He is a self taught musicians who plays 27 instruments. The man is one of the most talented musicians out there.

What he did in this video, is nothing short of spectacular. I just bet Jeff, Tom, Steve, Mark, etc... would agree to that.

When he fell backwards while that security guard(?) held him up, freaking awesome! And at the end when on the last note, he throws the guitar---so COOL!!! Love the smiles he throws those guys, he knows he's good and is having a great time at this. I wish he did more rock n roll. He handles it well.

Thank you, Verna. I know what you mean about him making the video! Sheer AWESOMENESS!!
    This was absolutely, totally awesome & I couldn't agree with you more but I also loved hearing the great Jeff Lynne do some singing.

Who is the other guitarist? You mention 'Mark' but it ain't Mr Knopfler. Steve Winwood? No, Steve is on keyboards, of course.

Marc Mann. Never heard of him.