Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: What was the first CD you ever bought?

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: What was the first CD you ever bought?

I only bought my first stereo with a CD player when I arrived in Japan to do the foreign student thing. The first band name I learnt to pronounce in Japanese was "Pink Floyd" ("Pinku Furoido"), so I bought lots of Pink Floyd. Certainly my first batch of CDs were all Pink Floyd.

EDIT: I had lots of vinyl LPs before I bought CDs.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 02-09-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

My first batch of CDs were by The Doors. There may have been an Indigo Girls CD in there too [cringe]. I loved their vocal harmonies, but I'm too cynical for such earnestness now.

I went through vinyl, 8 track, cassettes and finally CD's. My first actual CD was Hell Freezes Over, have played through three of them and am on my third HFO and I still love it today.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

The simple answer to this question is that the first CD I ever bought was The Wall by Pink Floyd - I bought it from a CD stall at university in my first year, which would have been close to exactly three years ago.

However, it's not quite as clear cut for me because at the time I downloaded most of my music from iTunes, and had already downloaded a fair few albums by the time I bought my copy of The Wall. This means that if you were to ask me the first album I ever bought, that would be the 1975 self-titled Fleetwood Mac album. I think I downloaded it as a complete album in about October 2012 (I'd already downloaded a couple of individual tracks from it, the non-hits like Crystal which were new to me as I didn't have on the Very Best Of. I hadn't realised that the versions of Rhiannon and Over My Head on the album were different from the ones on the Best Of albums. When I discovered this, I decided to download the whole album rather than just the songs I didn't have).

Looking back on it, I think I did pretty well - whether I regard my first purchase as the first physical CD I bought, or the first album I bought in any format, I ended up with a great album that I've got a lot of enjoyment from playing ever since! I realise that not everyone is so lucky in this regard.

I've no idea what the first CD my parents ever bought was, because I don't know when they first got a CD player. I do know that the first album my Dad ever bought was Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin, but that was definitely on vinyl, and some time before CDs came in.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Either AC/DC's Back in Black or Def Leppard's Hysteria for me. My mom bought me those albums almost 10 years ago. I can't remember the first album I bought with my own money.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time