Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Did they ask Bernie and Randy to be part of the reunion in 1994?

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Did they ask Bernie and Randy to be part of the reunion in 1994?

Agree, Lamorna. I had not seen that interview before. It's surprisingly negative, coming from sweet Randy. Two observations: 1) I thought it was funny when he said he was the best known member of the Eagles when they started - I always thought it was just taken as fact that Bernie was the most successful, respected, well-known member when they formed, but, they each have their own perspectives of themselves!; and 2) Randy and the interviewer are pretty dismissive of Timothy and his role in the band. The Eagles had a bass player (who had a huge hit on TLR and who seemed to be so well-liked within the band). Can't have two bass players. Why would they dump Timothy to call back a former member who had departed under negative circumstances? It would be like asking Bernie to join on HFO instead of Joe.

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

That is the way I feel. Maybe they could have done it like this tour. Have Randy and Bernie come out and do a certain amount of the concert. There is no reason why he could not have shared time on the stage with Timothy. Having the whole group back would have been awesome. Bernie and Randy were a big part of their success.

Of course he would have loved to have been asked, and of course he was a huge part of their success. I guess I was questioning if he had been asked, and had agreed, how would it have gone down? Probably like you said, come out to sing a few songs, with Timothy playing bass and staying on stage. So for the HFO tour, what songs would he come out for? TITTL, obviously. What else? I'm not being snarky here, I'm trying to start a "what if Randy did join" for HFO...where he could have been featured? Going to go back and look at the set lists...

Why could't they both take turns playing bass? I really don't see why they couldn't do that. They are both very good bass players. I do not believe TITTL was on the setlist but it could have been along with TALA and CKOF. Both of these men are wonderful singers and great musicians.

Stuck on the Border

It would have been great if they'd found a way to include Randy and Bernie and I understand why he felt upset.

However, the idea that there was a conspiracy to deprive Randy and Bernie of royalties seems rather specious. A new recording could be sold to fans who already had the original recordings which was potentially a huge market. I've been back through the track listings for the first 5 albums to see which songs Bernie or Randy have a writing credit for but didn't sing lead on and it comes down to just three:
    - Witchy Woman
    - Saturday Night
    - Hollywood Waltz
    Of those, only the omission of Witchy Woman seems questionable. Of course, Glenn could have sung Take It to the Limit as he already sang that in his solo shows.

On the current tour, Witchy Woman, Saturday Night and Take It To the Limit are all in the set, so Randy and Bernie will be benefiting from publishing this time.

I have to admit I don't understand this whole publishing rights issue. Can someone explain how/why Randy and Bernie missed out on something relating to their songwriting or performing rights because the Eagles released a live album of songs they were involved with? (Is this the issue?) Is it because they didn't put songs written by Bernie or Randy on the HFO album/DVD?

Edit: and, an even more fundamental question - as regards HFO or this tour, we are talking about royalties from album sales/downloads generated by the tour, not the actual live performances of the songs in shows, correct? Or are we talking about potential royalties if the Eagles release a recording or dvd of the current tour?

Stuck on the Border

I think there are two parts to it
    - if the old recordings were repackaged and reissued, Randy and Bernie would get royalties for the songs on which they performed. As these are new recordings on which they did not perform, they got nothing.
    - if they had a writing credit on a song that was re-recorded, they would get paid for the use of the song, but as they did not write any of the songs included in HFO they got nothing.

I find the whole publishing and royalty arrangements really confusing. I've read that when a record gets played on the radio, the writer of the song benefits but not the performer, at least in the US.

The whole royalty thing is very confusing. But Bernie and Randy did not get anything from HFO because everything was re-recorded. I just think they would have liked to have been asked. They were all friends at one point and all were involved in making this a very successul band. It is what it is.

Thank you. OK, so I think that leaving WW and TITTL off of the HOTE tour would have been cause for suspicion of shenanigans. HFO was just weird, though. It was so Henley-heavy, we've had discussions on this. I'm not as offended by the Eagles leaving those two songs off of HFO as I would be if they left them off this tour. Also, like they talked about in the doc, they were sort of flying by the seat of their pants on HFO - they had no idea they would tour for 2 1/2 years, or that anyone would come to their concerts. In hindsight (even in 1995 hindsight) it's easy to say, wow, they left out some classic Eagles songs off of that super successful tour, but we should try to put it in 1994 perspective, when they were worried and nervous and didn't know what the heck to expect. And, the successful solo songs were more of a focus at that time, also. So, at this point, I'm thinking no shenanigans as far as intentionally depriving Bernie or Randy on HFO, but I could be swayed by more info...

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill Is Never Gone View Post
    The whole royalty thing is very confusing. But Bernie and Randy did not get anything from HFO because everything was re-recorded.
    Now see, this is where I'm confused - if they have songwriter credit, they would get royalties. It doesn't matter if the song is re-recorded in the studio or is on a live album, right? Re-recording something doesn't deprive the songwriter...To the contrary, it would seem to me that a new recording of a popular song would be a boon to the songwriter.