Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Discussion about Glenn's new album "After Hours"

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: New album "After Hours" press and discussion

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplays View Post
    Awwww... I hope you're ok V?! But, if you're considering a move to L.A. and need a roommate... I'm your gal!!

But seriously... hope everything is ok...
    Thank you, LP! I'm fine, I'll muddle through. It's a public board so I won't go into details, but it really is middle age adolescence!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

The reviews for this album are all over the place! They certainly aren't consistant. One reviewer doesn't like Glenn's choice of songs. Another says he chose well. One doesn't like "The Shadow of Your Smile" & "The Look of Love" yet another thinks that they are the best songs on the album! "Route 66" has been both panned & praised.

Some reviewers say that Glenn's voice suits the songs perfectly & others say it doesn't suit them at all. His singing has been described both as passionate & dispassionate (this guy really couldn't have been listening to the same album)!

Comparisons to Rod Stewart vary greatly. One review said that Glenn blew Rod out of the water, so to speak, while another says Glenn's renditions don't compare.

I won't belabour my point anymore, but it seems to me that many people didn't know what to expect when the album was announced & still don't know what to make of it now that they have heard it.

Anyhow, all that matters to me is that I love it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplays View Post
    Awwww... I hope you're ok V?! But, if you're considering a move to L.A. and need a roommate... I'm your gal!!

But seriously... hope everything is ok...
    So do I, VA!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I won't belabour my point anymore, but it seems to me that many people didn't know what to expect when the album was announced & still don't know what to make of it now that they have heard it.

Anyhow, all that matters to me is that I love it!!!
    I'm finding that the more I listen to it, the more it's growing on me. Many of the songs keep getting stuck in my head, particularly after seeing them done live. Reviewers don't have that luxury, I guess. It's first impression only, and if you're expecting something else, that impression might not be good.

Stuck on the Border

I'm glad it appears to be quietly climbing the charts (thanks GA). This is encouraging.

In the interests of - whatever- there was one comment in one of the reviews that I partially agreed with, which was about the songs having been chosen on the basis of 'affection' rather than on the basis of whether they would form a coherent whole. There is something in this; the album does take four songs to start hitting its groove (for me, I would have placed For Sentimental Reasons closer to the middle, and as for My Buddy while it's good to get it out of the way, perhaps it would have been better nearer the end).

And yet.... of course he chose the songs out of 'affection'. He is not a critic. He did what he believed it was right for him to do.

I'm sorry, FP, I can't read what you wrote because I'm distracted by your sig. I think you need to post at least a hundred things this week and I promise to read them next week.
    VK

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Looks like it will be released in Europe!

http://www.entertainment-focus.com/n...um-after-hours
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

OK, I think I can respond to FP's post coherently now. The sig really is distracting!

Yes, there is a lack of 'cohesiveness'. The songs are all over the place in style and even time period. Had he found a niche within the Standards genre, other critics would have zinged him for having too much the same and not enough variety. A no-win situation for him. It reminds me of the reviews I read of the FW1 tour that said the Eagles just kept churning out the same hits over and over, then for the LROOE tour those same critics zinged them for including new songs, that fans want to hear the hits. Sometimes the critics talk just to hear themselves.

Actually, After Hours has fallen off the Billboard charts. Fell off after the first week. I'm guessing that means we haven't bought enough copies or gotten the word out enough!! It definitely deserves to be on the charts ahead of some of the stuff I saw on the list.
    VK

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    OK, I think I can respond to FP's post coherently now. The sig really is distracting!

Yes, there is a lack of 'cohesiveness'. The songs are all over the place in style and even time period. Had he found a niche within the Standards genre, other critics would have zinged him for having too much the same and not enough variety. A no-win situation for him. It reminds me of the reviews I read of the FW1 tour that said the Eagles just kept churning out the same hits over and over, then for the LROOE tour those same critics zinged them for including new songs, that fans want to hear the hits. Sometimes the critics talk just to hear themselves.

Actually, After Hours has fallen off the Billboard charts. Fell off after the first week. I'm guessing that means we haven't bought enough copies or gotten the word out enough!! It definitely deserves to be on the charts ahead of some of the stuff I saw on the list.
    To be completely realistic I didn't expect it to chart at all. At least it did chart, unlike Strange Weather.

I also really don't know how the Frey fans on this board were meant to get the word out to others, especially as even only a handful of Borderers were interested in it. I would only say to other Borderers that that they should give it a try & they may be pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-04-2012 at 06:00 PM.

I don't know, I would say we have more than a "handful" but I tend to be a bit more positive than some. At any rate, posts about it show up in search engine crawls, so if it makes you feel any better, just by posting you're helping "spread the word"!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten