Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: The Beatles

I hope to see the documentary. But, will it be heavily sanitised? Will they address the issues of drugs, groupies, prostitutes, and the like?

I learned many things about the Beatles from the new movie "Eight Days A Week" A must see for anyone who ever gave a hoot about the Beatles.

First, they refused to play in any segregated venue, as was done in the south in the early 60's. They insisted on an integrated audience & fair seating for all.

Second: All Beatles had an equal say in anything the Beatles did. Even though John & Paul were writing 90% of the music, Ringo & George had equal say in whatever they did.

This struck me to compare this to the Eagles, who became a battle for control & money by Henley & Frey, who thought they "deserved " more money than the others..... I always thought this was unfair, & is what caused most of the fights & eventual break up of the band. I think the Beatles had it right, & kept it all equal, where the Eagles became a battle over control & fights over money. In retrospect, maybe they would have done things differently, as this created so much tension in the band, it became impossible to continue.

Of course the Beatles didn't last very long as a band, but they made an impression on the world that was unstoppable, undeniable & unmatched by ANY other band that followed them. They were the first & they started it ALL.
    Go see this movie. The footage of them at the first stadium concert in 1965 at Shea Stadium is priceless!
    Lovely insight to the band & how they handled the mania created over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    I hope to see the documentary. But, will it be heavily sanitised? Will they address the issues of drugs, groupies, prostitutes, and the like?
    To answer this, It is about the tours, NOT about the personal lives of the Beatles, This is NOT the story they are telling.

The Eagles doc, didn't get much into this stuff either,but this is called "The Touring Years", which is only about the shows, the travels, the Beatlemania.

It said nothing about the girlfriends, wives,or drugs, etc. It was from when they started as kids at the Cavern Club at only about age 16 & ends at the last concert at Candlestick park.
    It somehow leaves you wanting more, but I hear Ron Howard wants to do another doc to pick up where this leaves off.
    Remember the Beatles did several albums in the studio, after the live shows ended that they never toured

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    To answer this, It is about the tours, NOT about the personal lives of the Beatles, This is NOT the story they are telling.
    Erm, what I described happened on the tours. I was wondering if they would mention it. I guess not. Not that I particularly want it mentioned.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I want to see this. I was surprised that they never toured after the Candlestick Park show, but continued making albums for a while. Was that in 1969 or what year?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

1966 I believe it was. I'm not a particular fan it's just one picks up this stuff.

They could have played live, as they demonstrated in 1969 on the roof of the Saville Row building. If I remember correctly, John Lennon in the 1970s said 'If you want The Beatles, go and see Wings'. The 1976 Wings tour was a pretty good live band, IMHO, and some sort of replacement for not seeing any later Beatles live shows.

I've always wanted to see The Bootleg Beatles, the full show. They play at a local venue quite often. I should go.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Erm, what I described happened on the tours. I was wondering if they would mention it. I guess not. Not that I particularly want it mentioned.
    Not really, In the beginning, in 1963, they toured without the girlfriends. I believe John pretended he was single. There may have been minimal pot use, but it ends in 1966. I believe the real drug use comes in a bit later, They were isolated & had to be hidden due to the fans raiding the hotels, trying to get to them & only did interviews, tv shows & concerts. They were rather sheltered & controlled. They were just mobbed everywhere they went. I don't think there were groupies or hookers along for the ride. Only people with them were managers, road crew & Epstein. They needed protection as you will see in the film. It was a lot of work,& they were also very young & seemed even naive. You can see how the world just fell in love with them...Not just the music, but the personalities in their interviews.

I recall one funny incident. They were doing an interview. George was sitting behind John smoking a ciggy. There was lots of cigarette smoking going on. He just flicked his ashes right on John's hair.... John looked up & brushed the ashes out of his hair, but George continued the antics & was giggling. It was just cute & funny, John didn't seem upset, They were like little kids goofing around

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I can't wait to see this!!! I've heard nothing but good things about it, which I was hoping for since I love Ron Howard's films too. Really looking forward to the Shea Stadium footage too. I don't have Hulu but the DVD will be out November 18th.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."