Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: computers

Default Re: computers

Like everyone else has already said, it really depends on your own personal needs and what you will do with it. As VA pointed out, any kind of typing in great length is a total PITA unless done with a laptop or PC keyboard. For basic reading and research, tablets are fine as are any number of smart phones. In a perfect world, I would just own one of everything, but if I had to choose over laptop or PC and could only have one, I would take the laptop because at least it's portable. I would also choose laptop over tablet because it can do more things (that I like to do). I had a large laptop too, and as cumbersome as it was, I still lugged it with me everywhere that I went. It's almost impossible to not find wifi spots these days unless you visit my friend Nettie out at Taylor's Crossroads, NC.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Thanks for all the input...hate to spend money on stuff that will be outdated in six months...but I guess that's the nature of the beast with technology...but have some good ideas now...thanks again!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Another question here as I'm thinking about getting a new computer too, probably a laptop.

How much memory and ram (???) do I need for basic personal stuff, itunes, dvd watching, etc?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Another question here as I'm thinking about getting a new computer too, probably a laptop.

How much memory and ram (???) do I need for basic personal stuff, itunes, dvd watching, etc?
    These days to be honest I'd recommend at least 4GB... Even stuff like YouTube eats it up... Personally I'd go for 8GB - that's what I use in my iMac. I don't use a laptop anymore (use an iPad) but if I did I'd get 4GB. 8GB is standard on most new desktops, 4GB for laptops. Don't get 2GB. It's not enough in today's world IMO even for simple browsing/email. If you wanted a supercomputer desktop model (which it sounds like you don't) then even 16GB is not really overkill IMO. But my general rule is 8 for desktops, 4 for laptops. 8GB is preferred.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

My laptop has 8GB of RAM. When you start running out of RAM, your system gets slower. Every single operating system update slowly uses up more and more RAM, so unless you plan on getting a new laptop every year, go big. In my opinion! 'Basic personal stuff' might sound small, but on my last laptop (a 32-bit Vista machine), opening a PDF file for the User Manual for my camera could tax it. Granted, I use my laptop for work, but I hadn't planned on that when I bought it (I have a PC at the office I can access remotely, but it has less of everything and drives me crazy). The only thing I thought about getting and didn't was a solid state hard drive, but determined I could buy two new hard drives for the cost of upgrading to one solid state one. So I do back-ups often because this one will die soon since it's a year old and I leave it running 24x7.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

still can't decide whether I want to do away with my desktop and go only with a laptop...I like my desktop because of the 20"monitor...or maybe I'll to one of those all in ones you can move around easily...any ideas on those...would love to hear...

Remember you can plug your laptop into the bigger monitor when you are at home.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ok, thanks for the recommendations guys! I really appreciate it.

Another thing, how do I go about getting my itunes off my mac and on to a new windows machine?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'm not quite sure Brooke, but I think I saved all my iTunes to the desktop. Then I put them on a memory stick. When I got my new machine I transferred them over, logged into iTunes using my original account and then reloaded the music into iTunes. A bit cumbersome. I wonder would iCloud be an option for you? Ie save everything on iCloud and then pull it down onto your new machine. But seek advice. Don't take what I say as written. I'd hate you to lose anything.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

I ended up using a program to rip everything from my iPod back onto my new computer. Again, not ideal, but it worked for me since everything I had on iTunes was on my iPod anyway.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.