Page 6 of 136 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporting Sensations

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Default World Snooker

The World Snooker Championships started in Sheffield yesterday. I can't believe Steve Davis is out already, beaten by John Parrott. There was a time when these two men met in semi's and finals, not the first round. Davis in particular was one of my sporting heroes of my teenage years in the early and mid eighties.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

I wasn't familiar with snooker, so I looked it up. What an interesting form of billiards!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Congratulations to Roger Federer for his fifth consecutive Wimbledon singles final. It was an epic match to five sets, and Rafa Nadal was a worthy opponent who just weakened in the last set. His time will come. Federer is the outstanding player of the moment, IMO, for his all round game. Previous multiple winners like Sampras and Borg have relied on their massive serves. Federer can serve as well, but it is the grace by which he returns backhands, passing shots and volleys which makes him such an entertaining player to watch.

I will add, shallowly, that he wore a white jacket and trousers to accept the trophy, and the back view was astonishingly reminiscent of a certain singer in the 1980s.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

This will mean nothing to most of you but allow me a small indulgence.

My rugby league team have had a disastrous season. They are second last in the competition. After they were beaten 56-0 last week the coach resigned. Enter the club's greatest son, Brad 'Freddie' Fittler, who has been groomed for the head coach job but wasn't expected to take over until at least 2009.

I should say there is something in Fittler's face which always made me think he had leadership potential and in his very first game the Roosters won 23-12.

Here he is getting friendly with the mascot:

With the team after the victory:

I hope he can turn things around. There isn't one Sydney Roosters fan who doesn't think he can't.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Oh - I'm slow here, but my congratulations to Roger Federer, too.

And FP - good luck to your Rugby team. It is very frustrating to root for a losing team. I'm a Miami Dolphins football fan, and after many years of being spoiled by a team that always excelled, these past 2 or 3 years have been tough for me. But a true fan must stick by their team through feast and famine.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Something else... regarding football (soccer) the least said about Australia at the Asian Cup the better. Drawn one, lost one and may be eliminated straight away, after a lot of crap about how we were going to win it on our first attempt.

Stuck on the Border

Our Milwaukee Brewers baseball team was knocked out of the playoff picture last night by the San Diego Padres. That means, the Chicago Cubs have won our division and will advance into the playoffs. Agggghhhh! Anyone but the Cubs!!!!

So, I must invoke the "Curse of the Goat" upon the Cubs.

Apparently, in 1945 the gentleman in the picture wanted to take his Billy Goat to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field in Chicago during the 1945 World Series(????). The goat had a ticket and everything! Obviously, the ushers at Wrigley said, Ah, no way! So upon leaving, the man put a curse on the Chicago Cubs, saying that the team would never win the World Series. So far, the curse has worked! They haven't won a title since 1908.

So there ya go, Cubbies! The curse lives!

Aw, bad luck for your team, Molly.
    I've suffered the same today watching Wales crawling back from certain defeat in the Rugby World Cup, then succumbing in the last minutes.
    I like the story of the goat!
    Wales used to bring a goat on as their mascot.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

I know about the Chicago Cubs curse. My Australian love of the underdog means I hope they do OK.

GO MELBOURNE STORM!!!

That's the Rugby League Grand Final tonight. Why Melbourne and not the other team, Manly, from Sydney's northern beaches? Well, I have a very soft spot for the Melbourne team and Manly are the team everyone used to 'hate'.

I am almost hoping England beats Australia in the Rugby quarter final.

That sucks Molly. I'm hoping the Boston Red Sox will win another World Series. I'm also getting excited about the NHL hockey season starting. I'm a die hard fan of the Dallas Stars and I want them to win another Stanley Cup so badly. I'm also getting excited about the basketball season because I'm hoping this will be the year when the Dallas Mavericks win the championship.
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?