Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost 1972 demos album?

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Lost 1972 demos album?

Has anyone heard of a 1972 collection of demos by the Eagles? A person on Soundcloud makes mention of it, in the comments section of an unreleased track by Randy called "Wait and See" (or "Oh Darlin' Wait and See" as Glenn introduces it) recorded on the Desperado tour. I don't know if this person is mistaken/confused or if such a treasure may actually exist.

https://soundcloud.com/unwillingtoco...edium=facebook

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Lost 1972 demos album?

NMB - I have heard of them. If they are the same ones I am thinking of, I read that the demos were done with a different producer in SF(if I remember correctly). I believe someone at one time had them posted and I listened to a couple of songs. Sorry, but I can't remember what type of site it was. I hope this is what you are referring to.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Was it "Nightingale" and "Get Up Kate" from engineer Bill Halverson's site?

Oh man, it looks like the Eagles tracks were removed.

http://www.billhalverson.com/heider.html

That was "just" two songs though. The person on Soundcloud - assuming he or she actually knows what they're talking about - made it sound like there was an album's worth of material.

Stuck on the Border

NMB - Yes it was. Thanks, you have a better memory than me. I do remember that guy indicating there were more than the two songs posted. I bet they are locked in a safe somewhere just like all the "discovered" films/ footage used in HOTE. I bet there is more out there just like there is probably more filmed concerts/footage from the 70's. After all, how many years did they say they had no films from the 70's and then all of a sudden we get the CC Concert in HOTE.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 06-30-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Stuck on the Border

"Wait and See" was played live in 1973. https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=3092
    There are rumours that more was recorded in London 1973 for On the Border than made it to the final album. The concert that is discussed in the linked thread took place just after they returned from London and includes "Oh Darlin' Wait and See", "Georgia Peach" (written by Bernie and someone else?) and a pre-Felder "Good Day in Hell".
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 06-30-2017 at 11:24 AM.

I'm inclined to believe the Soundcloud person is mistaken about there being a whole album's worth of demos.

I thought Bill Halverson recorded "Get Up Kate" and "Nightingale" when the band was having a dispute with Glyn Johns while recording the '72 debut album. I didn't think he had anything to do with "Wait and See" or "Georgia Peach" which were performed live late in '73 after Desperado was released (thanks for the link, UTW). Johns was out by then, I think.

At some point wasn't "Bad Man" recorded with Glenn singing lead? My guess is that it was intended for the Desperado album before the concept gelled into an outlaw theme, rather than just a rebel/outsider one e.g. "James Dean." Halverson may have been involved with "Bad Man."

Btw, the demo version of "Get Up Kate" was on YT for awhile. It may still be there.

EDIT: I now see UTW's updated post; I read about those rumors re: the OTB tracks as well...if only they were true!
    Last edited by Delilah; 06-30-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: 2nd edit: correction

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Banned

Thanks for posting the link to Wait And See NightMistBlue. I've never really listened to it due to the awful sound quality. I just accepted it as a rightful reject but it's a pretty major track. I'd have a 10 minute CSN/Pink Floyd jam out over the bluegrass Midnight Flyer every time, although MF has it's attractions too.

I know Joe Walsh worked with the Eagles on Dan Fogelberg's Souvenir album but talking about the time, he said the Eagles helped him out on his So What album and he helped them out with the On The Border album, although he isn't credited. I guessed it was probably You Never Cry Like A Lover, which they performed live with Joe before Hotel California was released but I can certainly hear some Walsh influence on Wait And See. Leadon and Frey are right on top of their game on guitars, Randy on bass and vocals too, even though it's not a regular Eagles country rock track. It'd be unusual for Felder too, which may explain why it got ditched from their On The Border album.

I'd love to discover some old treasures from the Eagles vaults. Didn't they claim that they play a song 100 times before they perform it on stage. Surely, at least one of those 100 occasions would have been been with a tape running

NB Glynn Johns produced some of the On The Border album. eg. The Best Of My Love

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    NB Glynn Johns produced some of the On The Border album. eg. The Best Of My Love
    you're right of course! What was I thinking when I posted Johns was out by then...

EDIT: despite the bad audio quality, I really like "Wait and See."

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    At some point wasn't "Bad Man" recorded with Glenn singing lead?
    Where did you read about this?

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Where did you read about this?
    I saw the Eagles in December of 1973 play "Bad Man" with Glenn singing lead. By the time they played here again five months later, ON THE BORDER had already been released and "Bad Man" was not on it for some reason.