Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagles songs that have "grown on you" over time

Default Eagles songs that have "grown on you" over time

Had an idea for this thread.

I, personally, have always never liked NKIT that much. It was just too soft for me and I didn't get into the lyrics at all or the music. I wouldn't necessarily skip it, but it wasn't anywhere close to my top favorites list. I thought it was boring.

Here lately though, I love it more and more. I really like it. I can now appreciate the lyrics more and the music and Don Felder's licks in the song as well.

The only Eagles song that was "big" that I still skip is "Lyin' Eyes", maybe one of these days I'll grow to appreciate it but to me it's still boring. But I'm sure with time and listening to it I will like it more. But right now I don't get the appeal.

Any of you slowly grow to like a song of the guys that you originally weren't keen on? Particularly some of their bigger songs, that you just didn't get and now do.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default Re: Eagles songs that have "grown on you" over time

For me quite a few took on new meanings as I got older since I've known a lot of their songs from birth thanks to my parents being original fans. You don't get some of the meanings in the lyrics till you're old enough to understand. Then I also wasn't too familiar with their non-singles as growing up my parents just had the two greatest hits CDs and a lot of the solo albums, so I discovered those more recently with streaming.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Twenty-One but i've liked it for quite a while now. Same goes with Earlybird

"Witchy Woman." It used to kind of freak me out, but I really like it now.

Banned

I've just glimpsed down the list of songs and realized that every song has remained pretty much the same as my initial impression. For most artists my opinions would go up and down all the time..

After listening to mp3s constantly for some time, it was stirring to hear, Already Gone, Ol '55 and particularly The Best Of My Love on an expensive sound system. Those went up a few notches. Wow those harmonies!.

Off topic I suppose but there are a couple of Walsh songs that spent "time with the crows and sparrows" before I recognised their true majesty. Tend My Garden took about 20 years and astonishingly It's All Right! I loved the Songs From A Dying Planet album from the off but always considered It's All Right to be one of the lesser tracks. Once I started really listening to the instrumental part, my brain scuttles around like an excited puppy every time I listen to it.

Stuck on the Border

Not sure, but I think I like "After the thrill is gone" more now than I did initially. I think I used to find Glenn's part boring and Don's part was too close to the "Don't you draw the queen of diamonds, boy" chorus in Desperado. A fantastic guitar solo from Fingers - especially the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Had an idea for this thread.

I, personally, have always never liked NKIT that much. It was just too soft for me and I didn't get into the lyrics at all or the music. I wouldn't necessarily skip it, but it wasn't anywhere close to my top favorites list. I thought it was boring.

Here lately though, I love it more and more. I really like it. I can now appreciate the lyrics more and the music and Don Felder's licks in the song as well.

The only Eagles song that was "big" that I still skip is "Lyin' Eyes", maybe one of these days I'll grow to appreciate it but to me it's still boring. But I'm sure with time and listening to it I will like it more. But right now I don't get the appeal.

Any of you slowly grow to like a song of the guys that you originally weren't keen on? Particularly some of their bigger songs, that you just didn't get and now do.
    I liked NKIT more than you, but it was not one of my favorites. To me, the Eagles became much better when they added Felder and then Walsh and became a mostly R&R band.
    However, once I found this live video of NKIT, I grew a much greater appreciation of the song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN7A56tgQgw

They play and sing with such passion. The vocals from Frey are great, the backing vocals of Henley and Meisner are spot on, and the harmonies of Felder, Walsh and Meisner all blend perfectly. Needless to say the audience experienced a wonderful concert that evening.

`
    `

I initially didn't care for In the City, Joe's voice sounded discordant to me at first, but it's grown on me. Their ooh-oohs are beautiful. One of These Nights has also grown on me. I've been into Bernie's songs lately, My Man especially, which I wasn't all that thrilled with when I first got into the band.

If we are including their solo work, I didn't like You Belong to the City at all when I first heard it, but I love the song now.

I'm almost embarrassed and ashamed to admit this, but as a youngster I didn't care much for TITTL. I liked it fine at first but soon got tired of it. It seemed too dramatic and overdone, I guess. However I did appreciate the lyrics--"put me on a highway, show me a sign" "you know I've always been a dreamer" to name a couple but I thought "you can spend all your time making money, you can spend all your love making time" was clever.

As an adult, I definitely appreciate it more--not just the message, but the music and the vocal delivery. It is now one of my very favorite Eagles songs.

I guess it's not a "bigger song" but I used to think "I Don't Want to Hear Anymore" was a bland adult contemporary snoozer. After watching a video clip of Timothy performing it solo, I like it better now.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Oh, I forgot about "I can't tell you why". I love it now, but I didn't like it at all initially.