Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Listen to a Song Challenge Thread

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Listen to a Song Challenge Thread

I propose a thread to get us sharing music.

Here's what I suggest. I'll be 'it' first. Someone can challenge me to listen to a song, which should be available on youtube or Spotify or other accessible source. For the first song I'm challenged to listen to, I'm expected to come back and post a few comments on it.

Then, anyone else (first poster gets priority) can challenge my challenger to listen to a song. And so on.

E.g. I'm 'it' first. So, someone called EaglesFan75 may challenge me to listen to 'Her Town Too' by James Taylor. I'll listen to it, and come back and give my thoughts.

Then 'Desperado1981' might challenge EaglesFan75 to listen to 'Wild Life' by Wings. EaglesFan75 will listen to it, come back and post his/her thoughts. Then perhaps I come back, and challenge Desperado1981 to listen to 'Language' by Dave Dobbyn. And so on.

This wouldn't work if the songs were too obvious, e.g. if someone was challenged to listen to 'Hotel California'.

It may not work at all. but, if this thread doesn't take off, it'll fall down the listings and disappear forever, not much harm done.

Anyone?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Listen to a Song Challenge Thread

Would it work if it was a general challenge rather than just one person? Eg you would name a song and then anyone could listen and make comments. Allow for multiple people making comments but only the first one can set a new challenge - or whatever rules you care to invent.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 09-15-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    World it work if it was a general challenge rather than just one person? Eg you would name a song and then anyone could listen and make comments. Allow for multiple people making comments but only the first one can set a new challenge - or whatever rules you care to invent.
    It might do? Do you want to name a song?

I'll name a song for anyone to listen to, Disco Sucks, by Chuck Wagon and The Wheels. Way off the charts, but it's a keeper, for anyone that despised Disco.
    P.S. It is on Youtube.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Thanks DJ. I've listened to it and think it's a great country novelty song. I like the actual disco outro, the smashing, and the humorous lyrics (e.g. disco dancing stolen from country swing.) But what is happening at the end with all the liquid sounds?

If we were playing the original rules, then now anyone can challenge DJ to listen to a song.

I challenge you to listen to one of my favorite songs of all time.

There Was A Time by Guns N Roses off of Chinese Democracy

The ending solo by Buckethead

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FHMcXmYYgw4

You don't say who 'you' is, so I'll take it.

It sounds like a good hard rock song, made interesting by the production touches. I note that 'Chinese Democracy' is the album that is more like a solo album by Axel Rose with additional help from many musicians. I like the chord progression from the verse. The chorus is OK, but could be a touch more musical.

I'll challenge DJ to listen to an Australian novelty song, 'The Newcastle Song'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yXinPYK-Jk

Slash and Duff are still playing Chinese songs. It is a guns n roses album. As Axl said himself. If he made a solo album it would be a lot different then GNR songs.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    You don't say who 'you' is, so I'll take it.

It sounds like a good hard rock song, made interesting by the production touches. I note that 'Chinese Democracy' is the album that is more like a solo album by Axel Rose with additional help from many musicians. I like the chord progression from the verse. The chorus is OK, but could be a touch more musical.

I'll challenge DJ to listen to an Australian novelty song, 'The Newcastle Song'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yXinPYK-Jk
    With the greatest respect, I would love to know why you chose that. I grew up in Newcastle.

I'm not sure why one particular person is being challenged. How do you know they will listen to the song? At least if you throw it open to everyone someone will take it up. If you restrict to one person you have to wait for them to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    With the greatest respect, I would love to know why you chose that. I grew up in Newcastle.
    It's a novelty song and DJ had challenged me with a novelty song. Hence, I thought one was a reasonable response to the other, but moving the theme from the USA to very 'Ocker' Australian.

I'm not sure why one particular person is being challenged. How do you know they will listen to the song? At least if you throw it open to everyone someone will take it up. If you restrict to one person you have to wait for them to answer.
    The reason was so that recommendations could be personalised to the person being challenged. Otherwise, it becomes very much just a 'listen to this song, everyone' thread which I thought less interesting than if people were challenging individuals with something chosen for them.