Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Brroke, you mentioned Secret Garden in another thread - I'll have to check it out!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

The Secret Garden was one of my very favorite books growing up. I truly loved it and, still today, it's a wonderful read, like revisiting an old friend.

Another I might suggest in that area, one that you might have seen the movie, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
    It's such a wonderful and pertinent story and deals with such heavy and difficult themes such a racial prejudice and hatred in such innocent eyes that it brings a wonderful perspective to the world in which it takes place. My all time favorite literary character, Atticus Finch, gives his young children, Gem and Scout, a sterling example of what a grown up should be not only in the innocent times in which the book takes place, but in todays society.
    There is so much more in the book then was possible to squeeze into a movie. If you've seen the movie and liked it, read the book and love it.

I've read the book & seen the movie. It is one of my husband's all time favourites. I can't say that I "enjoyed" it. It kind of bothered me, probably because of all the hatred & prejudice. I agree though, it is a powerful & moving book.

I love To Kill A Mockingbird. I recently revisited Hunter S. Thompson's The Rum Diary, which I love. It's fast and punchy, and the sweaty, tense atmosphere of Puerto Rico that he recreates is so tangible - you feel like you are right there with him.

I've just finished No Country For Old Men (after enjoying the film), and it was brilliant. So good, that I've just taken out another Cormac McCarthy novel - Blood Meridian - from the library. It's about violence in the Old West... a little heavier than No Country For Old Men, but so far, so good.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Pm, you will love The Secret Garden.

Sounds like I need to read To Kill A Mockingbird again. It's been a long, long time.

I went to the local library searching for Bill Bryson and they didn't have any of his. I'll check amazon for those.

Troub, I watched the movie No Country For Old Men and did not like it at all. Can't read that book. I don't know, it was just so evil and creepy. But, different strokes for different folks!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Oh good! I love book discussion threads, helps to find new stuff I haven't read yet!!! I usually have at least two books going at the same time, right now I'm working on

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - started out really well, then slowed down a bit, now picking up again. It's the first in a three-part series by a Swedish author, Stieg Larsson, who died before publishing the last book.

The Gunslinger - first in the Dark Tower series. I'm a Stephen King freak (surpassed fan and "Constant Reader" years ago) and decided I needed to re-read the whole series again. I saw there are a few other SK readers here, but for those who avoid him because his books are "scarey", the DT series is gutsy sci-fi/fantasy/western genre. I thought the ending for the last book was perfect. It ticked off a lot of people, but there wasn't really anything else he could have done.

Living Dead in Dallas - second in the True Blood series. I love the more gory vampire books, hated Twilight. After slogging thru only 1/2 of Twilight and complaining about it on another board, someone suggested the Sookie Stackhouse books, which are much better. Vampires do NOT go out in the day time, even to go to high school.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnzop View Post
    Oh good! I love book discussion threads, helps to find new stuff I haven't read yet!!! I usually have at least two books going at the same time, right now I'm working on

Living Dead in Dallas - second in the True Blood series. I love the more gory vampire books, hated Twilight. After slogging thru only 1/2 of Twilight and complaining about it on another board, someone suggested the Sookie Stackhouse books, which are much better. Vampires do NOT go out in the day time, even to go to high school.
    YES!!!! another Sookie fan!! I am freakin in love with these books. I was also not thrilled with the Twilight series but I see these as Twilight for grown ups. Yeah, there are Vampires and yeah, other things, but the way Charlaine Harris goes about explaining these things make is nearly believable and I love her characters! Her other series are just as readable and well written.
    The Aurora Teagarden series is fun, exciting and there are several of them so you wont run out right away even tho it's a finished series.
    The Shakespeare series (dont get too excited Julie *G*) is about a woman named Lily Bard who's lived through a very tragic event that's changed her dramatically and she now lives in a town called Shakespeare (her little joke, Lily Bard of Shakespeare..) It's much more dramatic and dark, but still very well written mysteries.
    The Harper Connelly series kind of mixes the idea of supernatural and non together with the main character being capable of seeing where people have died and how they were killed through their eyes. She uses this ability to make a living, traveling with her stepbrother around the country looking for missing persons believed to be dead. A little dark and somewhat surprising at times, but again, very well written and great characters.

Ticky...glad I found another Sookie fan too!

I started out with one of the Aurora Teagarden books because I couldn't find any of the Sookie books at the library (broke down and bought them at Borders ), and enjoyed it immensely. Light and easy to read, but so much fun.

I haven't tried the two other series' yet, but I like Harris's style, so will on your recommendation.
    You better put it all behind you baby, ‘cause life goes on,
    You keep carryin’ that anger, it’ll eat you up inside…
    Heart of the Matter

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lynnzop View Post
    Lol! There are quite a few Sookie fans out there - I actually despise True Blood (and don't get me started on Twilight) but quite enjoy the Southern Vampire series. My favorite is the fourth, Dead to the World, because I'm completely at the mercy of one nihilistic viking... but I digress; the point is, keep reading! The quality has disintegrated with the last two, but the first seven prove exceptionally entertaining (if not particularly groundbreaking in format or subject).

I must highlight Ian McEwan's truly phenomenal Atonement as one of the singularly most enrapturing novels I have ever experienced. If you haven't seen the movie, read the novel first; if you've seen the movie, I must attest to the unequivocal, almost shimmering supremacy of the penned verison.

Also, for unicorn lovers and/or sci-fi fans: Piers Anthony has a magnificent trilogy called the Apprentice Adept series, comprised of Split Infinity, Blue Adept and Juxtaposition. There's a bit too much sex for my taste and it's written in standard, non-floral sci-fi style, but I keep returning to the books for the absolute sense of departure they inspire. In addition to unicorns (as a horse nut, they were the sole selling point for me), the main character encounters any number of magical creatures in a sort of Blade Runner-esque future society. Pollution and overconsumption has ruined his home land of Proton (ruled by science), and by sheer chance he crosses over into the parallel univers of Phaze, where magic reigns. Escapism at its finest.

ABM~ I gotta tell ya, I, too, am a HUGE Viking fan *grin* and Dead to the World was my favorite as well. Eric at his finest... yum! I love watching True Blood mostly because I look at it as if Charlaine Harris had written a hole NEW novel with the same characters but making different choices. The whole Maenad thing kind of pissed me off. Completely taken out of context simply for the television effect. The Maenad in the book was kind of cool. Violent and self serving, yeah, but still, true to herself and her own form. This one was made out to be pure evil and a kin to Satan. What was THAT about?
    Anyway, I kind of like the way they're mixing up the stories, makes for something new with wonderfully familiar characters.

I've read most of what Piers Anthony has to offer and, from all that, The Apprentice Adept series is by far my favorite.

I havent read Ian McEwan's book Atonement yet, but I will. Im always looking for a good read and seem to devour books like M&Ms!!
    Thanks for the recommend!