Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

Yep - the music world was rocked with the news 34 years ago today. I remember very well all of the 'buzz' surrounding Joe becoming an Eagle. There were many fans who thought Joe was committing career suicide by teaming up with these country rockers. Personally, I thought it was very cool. In retrospect, I know there are some fans out there that still don't like Joe being an Eagle, but IMHO, it turned out to be a pretty shrewd move for all parties involved.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Joe Walsh Joins the Eagles

When I heard Joe was joining the Eagles it really kicked everything off for me because I was so intrigued by what sort of music they would produce (although the only song I knew by Joe was Rocky Mountain Way). It's ironic that their very first tour after he joined was down here and as I have explained before, the leading rock magazine of the time wrote a sneering article about it, to which Joe himself responded (they published it with the cover line 'Sheep Killer Special - Eagle attacks RAM!)* So I was pretty excited during 1976 while waiting for the album to be released.

I wonder sometimes if Joe feels he was given the treatment he deserved as an icon in his own right, at least on albums, where he has only sung four songs to date.

* Rock Australia Magazine - now defunct but the only source of information I had on the band until 1979.

Wow, what an epic day in Eagles History indeed! While they started to shift more towards rock with the hiring of Don Felder, it was the addition of Joe Walsh that sealed the deal.

Here's to you, Joe, and the day that you officially became an Eagle!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I do remember when I first heard that Walsh was joining the Air Force. I had just moved from Arkansas to Kansas in '76. A friend of mine up in Michigan knew I was pretty avid about the James Gang and Barnstorm. He called me to break the news to me (didn't have eMail back then!).

I had very mixed emotions. On one hand, Eagles were pretty soft-core with their Country-Rock style and I was just a tad skeptical about Joe's style fitting in with the Band. On the other hand, I figured that Joe would get more notice with an association with the Eagles.

So I rode the fence. Word was that Hotel California was being released and that one of the first concerts was to be in Wichita. After seeing Joe, rather subdued on stage with the big name band, I was disappointed. I think a lot of that may have just been him being the new kid on the block. Very different than his unleashed energy level I was used to experiencing with Mr. Walsh. But, with his presence on stage and on vinyl, the Eagles were somewhat "different" though at first I couldn't put my finger on what was different. Then my head cleared (LOL).....the Eagles were a legitimate ROCK BAND with a hint of country rather than a Country Band with a hint of Rock!

Thanks Joe.

MikeA

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

They were talking about this on the radio yesterday and my husband and I were discussing it. We were shocked at the time and wondered why in the world Joe would want to join the Eagles! He was big on his own! And definitely not country rock!

But we're sure glad now that he did! He's the life of the party!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I was not only an Eagles fan already but a Joe Walsh fan also so when the 2 merged, I was overjoyed yet, I admit, sceptical for the same reasons the rest of you mentioned. Once I heard HC I had no more doubts. He quickly became my favorite Eagle~~~well until 1979.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Here's to Joe Your the greatest!
    Oh they tell me there is a place over younder cool water running through the burning sand until we learn to love one another we will never reach the promised land. Hole In The World 2001

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    He quickly became my favorite Eagle~~~well until 1979.
    Why? What happened then?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Tim joined the band in 1978 but TBF 'fell for him' when she saw the Long Run album cover, just as I 'fell' for Mr Frey.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Yup
    He sings it high, he plays it low