Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: who owns the Longbranch Pennywhistle masters?

Default who owns the Longbranch Pennywhistle masters?

I think it's a pretty good album. Not great, but certainly above-average. Shiloh is more mediocre. I wonder if they'll ever see a re-release

Default Re: who owns the Longbranch Pennywhistle masters?

I get the impression that the guys aren't too proud of that, so I doubt we'll see it in re-release.

If it's the same deal as Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks and their first album (now out of print) called Buckingham Nicks, the masters are jointly owned by the two of them and both must consent before a re-release. While Stevie has said that she wants to re-release it on CD, Lindsey has resisted... and so it rots on the shelf. I imagine Longbranch Pennywhistle might meet the same fate.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I get the impression that the guys aren't too proud of that, so I doubt we'll see it in re-release.

If it's the same deal as Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks and their first album (now out of print) called Buckingham Nicks, the masters are jointly owned by the two of them and both must consent before a re-release. While Stevie has said that she wants to re-release it on CD, Lindsey has resisted... and so it rots on the shelf. I image Longbranch Pennywhistle might meet the same fate.

IMO LBPW has nothing not to be proud of, may not be a masterpiece but is a very very good Album, by the way I just downloaded it full
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

Stuck on the Border

I think it's pretty ordinary. I have to say this is because Glenn doesn't feature on it very prominently. My favourite track is (unsurprisingly) Rebecca.

Stuck on the Border

I've been reading Jimmy Bowen's 1997 book "Rough Mix". It's a good read.
    There's only a small amount on Longbranch Pennywhistle and Shiloh and when he talks about the Eagles, he seems to think Geffen is Azoff. I haven't got through all of the Amos section, but Bowen seems to have been a bit of a wheeler-dealer and he was worried that one of his other ventures under the Amos umbrella would bankrupt him.
    By the beginning of the seventies a new, post-Beatles rock scene was emerging in L.A. The “LA sound” was a fusion of folk, country and rock. One talented duo in that vein called itself Longbranch and Pennywhistle – formed by two kids named Glenn Frey and J. D. Souther. They got to me through Tom Thacker, my pal from Dumas High and bachelor-pad roommate.

Tom had signed Frey and Souther for publishing and recording with his own company. But when Don Lanier heard their demo, he urged me to bring Thacker in to Amos to get Glenn and J. D, on the label. When Tom brought them in to song some songs, I thought they were just wonderful.
    J.D. who was from Amarillo, was a bit on the surly, rebellious side. Glenn was an easygoing sweetheart. Their songs were squarely in that acoustic folk-country groove and it was fresh and upbeat, with just enough country to make me think back to the early Everlys. I really dug their stuff.

They were struggling young musicians, so Dirt [Don Lanier] pulled strings to get Frey and Souther into an apartment building in North Hollywood. They had no money, but I thought I’d give them a shot.

I made Tom a GM at Amos. He then brought me another terrific kid named Don Henley. He had his own country-rock-style gig called Shiloh with Jim Ed Norman, Tom and I made a stock swap between our companies: I gave him a piece of Amos’s publishing and let him produce Longbranch and Pennywhistle’s debut album.
    Presumably this is where Geffen stepped in:
    I released Souther and Frey from their recording and publishing contracts to a young record-business hotshot named Irving Azoff. The price to buy their publishing contracts back was $7,500 each, whenever they had the money.

Interesting read. Thanks!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Just received my CD of Longbranch/Pennywhistle. It's on the Big Pink label under license from Amos records and has very good packaging. Looking forward to hearing it all as I have only heard one or two tracks up until now.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Philh View Post
    Just received my CD of Longbranch/Pennywhistle. It's on the Big Pink label under license from Amos records and has very good packaging. Looking forward to hearing it all as I have only heard one or two tracks up until now.
    Where did you buy it?

Hi
    I bought it from a Japanese EBay seller- ftfym65
    Great service- I paid $31.50 in total to ship to the UK
    The CD was released in January. The label Big Pink also do the Shiloh CD
    Hope this helps

Stuck on the Border

Thanks. I found a copy on amazon.de. Including shipping, I ended up paying nearly £30. I think if I hadn't been distracted by trying to work in German and Euros, I would have had second thoughts.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this CD release before as it came out in November (and the SHiloh one was in 2015).

I've learned that you buy the special releases when you can. I bought the 3-disc R2 HotE DVD when it was released but now it's very hard to find (and expensive).