Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Default Re: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I think TITTL
    I would guess Bernie, but i'm not sure either

Well-stated, Chaim and JCL.

The "big three" here are really big. They consistently rank in the top 10--often the top 5--of the various "best of" Eagles lists I've seen online. Of the 8 Eagles songs ranked by Acclaimed Music* in the Top 5000, these 3 from this album are included.

I enjoy all the songs on this album, though a couple are weaker than others. My two favorites are:

1. One of These Nights-- Don's vocal here is stellar, smoky and rich; then he hits those wild falsettos. I read somewhere that he was inspired to push himself to those reach high notes after hearing Randy sing his. I also read his then girlfriend, Lorelei Shellist, take some credit for it. Her appearance in the studio apparently caused him to try out the R&B-style falsetto, according to her book.

2. Take It to the Limit--can easily be swapped out with OOTN on even given day. The title has become a catch-phrase. Thanks to YT and the HOTE, there's more awareness of Randy's vocal talent. The song is a classic and has been covered often, from Willie Nelson to Cher to Etta James, etc.

I also love Too Many Hands, After the Thrill is Gone, and Journey of the Sorcerer. JOTS is so unique and showed the band was willing to do something different and outside the box. It's epic and the only full-length instrumental in their catalog (except for I Dreamed There Was No War, which is short and probably didn't involve all the band members). Lyin Eyes is a great song, has a good story but I'm a little tired of it. I heard so much when it was a hit, then it was on Urban Cowboy too. Still a classic two-steppin' song.

Hollywood Waltz and Visions have grown on me. I used to think HW was kind of boring, but I like it now. I wonder why Glenn didn't sing it though. Maybe he didn't want to sing another country song. I thought Visions was kind of a generic rocker at first but I've come to appreciate its galloping beat and Don F's husky vocals. He doesn't sound like that anymore.

I Wish You Peace is a nice song but it could be better. I don't care for the electronic doorbell chimey-sounds. The layers of music overpower Bernie's vocal so it's hard to really enjoy his voice.

Interesting that this is the only album that doesn't have a J.D. co-write or use any of the usual collaborators. It is pretty much an Eagles-only creation, aside from some input from Bernie's brother and girlfriend.

*acclaimedmusic.net statistically compiles published lists of songs and albums from a large number of sources. The last update was August 2015.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

I had no idea that Willie Nelson has recorded TITTL. But now that I read about it the song started playing in my head with his voice. It's a perfect song for him, never thought of that.

I agree about JOTS. If you look at it with the same criteria you look at the hits, of course it sucks. But it's an unbelievably atmospheric piece of music and it also works with the album cover IMO for some reason. I've read that the other band members didn't like it, but they sure worked on it - the orchestra and all. In fact, in some ways I'd put JOAS in the same category as Bitter Creek. Both are very atmospheric and laid back songs from Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I don't care for the electronic doorbell chimey-sounds.
    Fender Rhodes?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Fender Rhodes?
    Yeah, probably Glenn's keyboard part. Makes the song even more syrupy, but I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I had no idea that Willie Nelson has recorded TITTL. But now that I read about it the song started playing in my head with his voice. It's a perfect song for him, never thought of that.
    It's amazing the number of artists of different genres who have covered this song--blues, country, R&B/soul, pop. Etta James' version is outstanding.

Re: JOTS, I've been curious about the "Royal Martian Orchestra," whose membership is made up of Bernie and ??

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Fender Rhodes?
    I have no idea. Maybe Bernie used an actual doorbell the way he used real bird tweets in "Earlybird."

EDIT: I just saw Chaim's response about Glenn's keyboard, which makes sense.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Troubadour

Happy birthday OOTN! Not my favoruite Eagles album in any regard, but my word the three singles from it are superb from first to last.

In addition to the above, my highlights from it are the criminally underrated After the Thrill Is Gone ('What can you do when your dreams come try, and it's not quite like you planned?' and 'You don't care about winning but you don't want to lose' are two of my favourite Eagles lyrics ever, how Don H. / Glenn encapsulated so many emotions into a dozen words is beyond me) and Hollywood Waltz, a bit too soppy for my liking but the instumentation (especially the outro) is wonderful, and I really dig the chorus harmonies.

I'm mixed on the other four songs. By and large, I like them all, but, much as with the new material on HFO, I just can't help but think I'd like them better if they weren't Eagles songs. Visions is a decent, catchy song if you remove the context of Don Felder being a godawful lead singer compared to the other six Eagles. I suspect I'm in a tiny minority who like IWYP, but again, more as a Bernie Leadon song than an Eagles one. JOTS is too weird and sci-fi (the latter AKA unbearable gibberish) for my personal liking, but it's a reasonable composition. TMH is a strange one. Again the instrumentation is superb, but the rest of it doesn't really do anything for me.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Cher covered TITTL? Lorelei Shellist wrote a book? I'm learning some unsettling things on this Forum. Best leave it lie for now.

Happy 43rd Birthday to One of These Nights. There's a few songs on there I don't like, but I like majority of the album.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Stuck on the Border

Released 43 years ago - wow. I love this album for the most part. The "big three" are obviously the best songs on the album. Delilah, I agree with you regarding OOTN and TITTL. I also love Lying Eyes and After The Thrill Is Gone. I would consider those four the best songs on the album. I do not care for Visions or I wish You Peace. I love Bernie but just not on that song. It is easy to see why this was their big, break-out album that made them rock stars. I could listen to those top three songs every day. It's amazing that those songs still sound great 43 years later.

On a side note, I did not realize that many people covered TITTL. Just MHO, but nobody does it like Randy.