Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Seven Bridges Road

Default Seven Bridges Road

A good friend of mind, several years ago, sent me some pictures she took of the REAL Seven Bridges Road...the one that Steve Young wrote and the Eagles covered.

Here is a link to the pics. I thought she had sent more, but there is enough there to tell that there really is "moss in the trees".

Link To It Here

Don't forget to left click on the main images. That expands them to full size and especially the first one needs to be expanded to see the moss.

MikeA

Default Re: Seven Bridges Road

How lovely! Thanks for posting those.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Where is it?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

What a cool link!! They are beautiful!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesvet View Post
    Where is it?
    As I put that group of pics of Seven Bridges Road together, I was thinking it was located south of Atlanta, Ga. But later reflection brings to mind Montgomery, Alabama. The road I think was nicknamed "Seven Bridges" but in reality, I think it was Woodley Rd hence the picture of the Street Sign.

There are "Woodley Rd" on the map for both Montgomery and for Atlanta, but the one in Atlanta does not look to be "the one". The one associated with Montgomery, Alabama does fit the description (Southward as you go).

Further confirmation of the speculation can be seen in the third picture. If you look, there is a green sign, that I am pretty sure says "Montgomery City Limits".

I have lost track of Fredrika so can no longer clarify that.

Finally: From Wikipedia:

In Hank Williams Jr.'s autobiography, Living Proof, he mentions in the first chapter that the "seven bridges road" refers to the road in Montgomery, Alabama that leads to the Oakwood Annex Cemetery where Hank Williams' grave is located. To get there one must cross over seven bridges. However there are those who dispute this account.

The official name of the road is Woodley Road but it is still often referred to as Seven Bridges Road as it runs from Fairview Avenue in the city to Mount Zion Road many miles out in the country. There are indeed seven well-defined bridges and moss hanging from the trees. The area with the seven bridges is where Woodley Road crosses Catoma Creek and various swamps.

The account of the song's author, Steve Young, confirms this version:
    "Seven Bridges Road was real. It is still real but I don't think it exists in the same way as I remember it due to development, etc.

"I lived in Montgomery, Alabama, in the early 60s and had a group of friends there that showed me the road. It led out of town and after you had crossed seven bridges you found yourself out in the country on a dirt road. Spanish Moss hung in the trees and there were old farms with old fences and graveyards and churches and streams. A high-bank dirt road with trees. It seemed like a Disney Fantasy at times. People went there to park or get stoned or just to get away from it all. I thought my friends had made up the name 'Seven Bridges Road.' I found out later that it had been called by that name for over a hundred years. That people had been struck by the beauty of the road for a long time, however, this is not the official name of the road. It is a 'folk name.'
    Last edited by MikeA; 02-16-2009 at 11:13 AM.

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow, Mike! Thanks for the great pictures and your 'research'. Ah - the sacrifices one has to make as an Eagles fan. But, but it is totally worth it because there are some like me that just LOVE these types of stories.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

So cool but... I saw just 1 Bridge in the Photos, Maybe 2? I used to imagine something like the Streep- Eastwood Movie

Or silly me, is just a name....?
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

Ahhhhh....I found what I think is the rest of the pictures. Browsing through these leaves me with a much greater understanding of the inspiration that was provided to Steve Young in putting his creativity into the writing of "Seven Bridges Road."

Revisit this album and do not forget that you can left-click on the image to expand it to its max size. Some beautiful photos of the Road and the inhabitants (wild and tame) along with some of the graveyards, old homesteads, fields and barns that are along the road.

Amazing:

http://mvabercrombie.net/walsheagles...es%20Road.html

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Beautiful!!! I bet that is one spooky road at night time!! Did we ever really determine where it is located?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Beautiful!!! I bet that is one spooky road at night time!! Did we ever really determine where it is located?
    Yes. Montgomery, Alabama. I posted part of an article from Wikipedia "upstream" here in this thread.

MikeA