Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: How did you become a fan of the Eagles/a specific Eagle?

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    Thanks for sharing your story with us AG! I love Glenn on Already Gone too. He ripped it apart on the HOTE shows. Loved it!
    I wish that I could've seen him sing it. Unfortunately, fate saw me become a fan a bit too late to attend a show. . At least I have F1 to watch!

I must say, I got a few chuckles reading about buying the vinyl/cassettes and here I am mainly because of youtube! Of course, if I didn't buy the Eagles live vinyl, I wouldn't know who Glenn is!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    Okay, I'm admitting my age but I was in my early teens when Dirty Laundry came out and my brother was a huge fan. Then when BOS came out I remember seeing the video and thought Don Henley was uber hot but I had no idea he had been in the Eagles. Then I saw Glenn in Miami Vice and thought he was cool but didn't even know he could sing never mind that he too was a former Eagle.

So anyway, in the mid 80s my brother had a friend whose party piece (after a few drinks) was always Desperado and I loved it but thought it was by Linda Ronstadt (I know I was a confused teen!). Eventually, this friend revealed that, no, er, actually it's by the Eagles...and I already loved TITLL but again no connection to the two boys. So I bought The Very best of the Eagles cassette and nearly wore it out. In the meantime I was still a huge fan of Don's and listening to the cassette one day....duh!...it finally clicked and I recognized THAT voice so I grabbed the sleeve notes and saw, songwriters, Don Henley and Glenn Frey on most of the songs! Well, talk about an eureka moment. I couldn't believe I'd been so stupid, but remember I was a teenager with a lot going on....

....to cut a long story short, and believe it or not I am, my love for Don continued unabated over the years but I finally openly declared it after seeing the HOTE doc and admitted, 'yes, I am addicted to Don Henley' and what's more, I seem to have grown more in love with him the more I read and hear about him. As my mother says, he just ticks all my boxes- intelligent, articulate, compassionate, passionate and oh so gorgeous...but thanks to this site (and FB) I can indulge in my obsession. ...
    ....sorry Glenn, I know you're a cool dude but DON was and always will be my first and only love.
    Yes, we definitely let our obsessions have full rein here!

DD, don't feel bad. I had a similar path where Don was concerned. It wasn't until End of The Innocence came out that I realized Don Henley had been an Eagle. I never knew his name. I knew Glenn, but Don was always 'the other guy'. I liked Don's solo material well enough, but never felt the need to buy it until EOTI, I had to own that one, it's simply incredible. A conversation with a friend is what cleared it all up for me.

Flash forward fifteen years or so and I was watching Farewell 1 with some friends. They were Eagles fans and owned most of the CDs, and one of them asked me what was the name of the guy playing drums. So I told her. Her mouth dropped open and she said, "Don Henley is one of the Eagles? Has he always been an Eagle?" She knew Glenn, of course. It made me feel good to know it hadn't just been me.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I must admit in my tweens and teens I adored Glenn because he had such a bad boy look. Then there was Don H. with those beautiful blue eyes, didn't care for the hair much,LOL. But I must say Randy won my soul. His beautiful hair, eyes and warmth won me over. I'm a sucker for his boy like charm.

P.S. Always been a huge fan of the music, Desperado album was it for me.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

I used to listen to my brothers records all the time when I was younger and Hotel California was one of them. The late night radio station here used to play HC and Goodnight Saigon (Billy Joel) all the time and I would spend hours just waiting to hear them.

Then Glenn released The heat is on and I loved it so I bought 'The Allnighter' which I still love. When he appeared on Miami Vice, I thought WOW!!
    But then Don appeared with 'Boys of Summer' and that was it - Don was the man!! Those eyes and that voice....

My interest in the Eagles was really revived when Hell Freezes over happened and I discovered that Don and Glenn were part of the Eagles,!! So I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know that
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I don't have a cool story about how I became an Eagles fan like you guys do. I was not alive yet when the Eagles first came out with their albums in the 70s, or when Don and Glenn came out with their solo albums, or when hell froze over. As a kid I heard the Eagles, Elton John, the Rolling Stones, etc. on the classic rock station but I never really knew who those guys were.

Then one day my mom told me after school that she recorded something for me on tv. It was HOTE. I watched it and I immediately became Eagles crazy. The minute I saw Glenn I pretty much fell head over heels for him. Later I realized Don H was hot too so now they're both equal to me. I'm willing to settle with they're both really really hot. Anyways, I started listening to nothing but the Eagles all the time and I basically became obsessed. Then I found this site where I can live out my Eagles craziness.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    Yes, we definitely let our obsessions have full rein here!

DD, don't feel bad. I had a similar path where Don was concerned. It wasn't until End of The Innocence came out that I realized Don Henley had been an Eagle. I never knew his name. I knew Glenn, but Don was always 'the other guy'. I liked Don's solo material well enough, but never felt the need to buy it until EOTI, I had to own that one, it's simply incredible. A conversation with a friend is what cleared it all up for me.

Flash forward fifteen years or so and I was watching Farewell 1 with some friends. They were Eagles fans and owned most of the CDs, and one of them asked me what was the name of the guy playing drums. So I told her. Her mouth dropped open and she said, "Don Henley is one of the Eagles? Has he always been an Eagle?" She knew Glenn, of course. It made me feel good to know it hadn't just been me.
    Thanks VA, good to know I'm not the only 'silly-billy'! I mean how did I know (Henley/Frey) after a song meant Don Henley and Glenn Frey??? I was but a child It could have been David Henley and George Frey

Despite the mix-up I'm glad I sorted it all out so I got to enjoy the brilliance of their combined and individual talents and while I appreciate Mr Frey, Mr Henley just does IT for me! I've always preferred punctilious boy over bad boy, Colin Firth over Hugh Grant if you like as I'm a bit OCD myself!! And I have to say, Don's speaking voice sends me to my knees
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm so glad this thread has been revived - it's one of my favorites. I love reading about how we all became fans (even though it pi$$es me off to read you young whippersnappers write things such as 'I wasn't even born when the band was together in the 70's'. <joking, of course > I'm going to try to find some time to reread the entire thread soon. As I often say, even though I was 'chosen' by Glenn, I love and appreciate all the guys so much.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I'm so glad this thread has been revived - it's one of my favorites. I love reading about how we all became fans (even though it pi$$es me off to read you young whippersnappers write things such as 'I wasn't even born when the band was together in the 70's'. <joking, of course > I'm going to try to find some time to reread the entire thread soon. As I often say, even though I was 'chosen' by Glenn, I love and appreciate all the guys so much.
    Bolded part: . You're not the first person I've heard say that. If it helps, there's a bit of running gag in my family that my birth year is semi backwards. It should be 1959, not 1995.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

I’ve enjoyed reading through this thread – how did I miss it? I don’t have an extraordinary story to tell like some of you.

I know it started in 1972 with Jo Jo Gunne. I liked their single, “Run, Run, Run” and bought their debut album which was on the Asylum label. One of the tracks was called “Take It Easy”. So I was a bit perturbed when another Asylum act had a single released called “Take It Easy” and it was a different song. I didn’t like it much. However, I loved “Witchy Woman” and I must have been hooked because I bought the album.

I wasn’t a cool kid, but I was slightly cool in my musical tastes. I had older brothers and a sister and so I was exposed to their music but I was also not allowed to enjoy typical teenybopper tunes for fear of ridicule. I was ready to find my own niche and I went for what I knew as the “West Coast Sound”. The Eagles were my favourite – I bought Desperado, On the Border and One of These nights, spending hours transcribing the lyrics. I loved that they had four lead vocalists. It was about the music and the songs, not the way they looked. There weren’t many photos and even those tended to be grainy and grungy. Besides, none of them were blond. I think I did have a poster of them on my bedroom wall around 1975 – one of the set where Glenn is wearing a red plaid shirt – but I don’t remember drooling over any of them, although the shirt must have made an impression!

I never saw them live. The house rule was I couldn’t go to concerts until I was sixteen. Besides, they didn’t come to Wales and I wouldn’t have been allowed to go further than Cardiff. Looking back, I can’t believe that I didn’t make more of an effort to persuade my brother to take me with him to Wembley.

I went to university in 1977 and didn’t have a record player. I got home at Christmas and found my mother had bought herself Hotel California. Clearly they had become too main-stream and it was time to move on…
    I remember hearing Boys of Summer and realising that must be the same Don Henley. I never made the connection with The Heat is On. Given how the Eagles had never been that big a deal in the UK, I never expected to hear any of them as solo artists. I no longer listened to a lot of music, and when I did, it was british artists. When the band was reuniting, I was buying my dream house, making babies and packing up my record player and record collection so that it didn’t get destroyed by toddlers.

My son gave me LROOE one Christmas and I didn’t play it for years. It was still in the shrink wrap. Why would I want to listen to a bunch of old has-beens?

So many things I didn’t know until recently…

- Randy leaving the band and Timothy joining
    - the release of The Long Run
    - the breakup in 1980
    - the reunion in 1994
    - the firing of Felder in 2001

And then…

Just keep us in suspense, UTW! Lol (joking)

See, the people who have been fans of the band since the 70s can break it up into different parts. Those of us new(er) fans can't do that!
    -Kim-