Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beware of fake 'Glenn Frey' on Facebook!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Beware of fake 'Glenn Frey' on Facebook!

It amazes me that the people who perpetuate these spam attempts don't go to the effort of using better English. It's almost always a dead giveaway. I'm glad they don't, however, but to me, it puts them in the ranks of stupid criminals. Perhaps not too stupid if it works with even one.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Well, considering the fact that alot of these spambots/people are from countries where English is not the native language, I can understand understand the not-so-good English. However, if you're imitating a person who is known for his writing (songwriting) in English, you might want to be able to form a proper, coherent sentence in English, .

I hope that this person doesn't try this again, or at least that no one falls for it, if they do.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I'd be surprised if they know any English at all. I'd say they use an online translator. But of course I would not say that they are any way stupid. These spammers make more in a day than many of us see in a lifetime!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I'd be surprised if they know any English at all. I'd say they use an online translator. But of course I would not say that they are any way stupid. These spammers make more in a day than many of us see in a lifetime!
    You're probably right GA. Some of the email spam I get makes no sense. My uncle gets some that contain a paragraph or so of just random words, some of which do not exist!

They're smart, to do what they do. It's like telemarketers in a way. People hate you for doing it, but you do make good money doing it.
    -Kim-

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for all the warnings everyone. You definitely can't be too careful these days.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Thanks for the heads up.

I hadn't got that friends request but have had 3 "strange" requests in the last week where I know for a fact this person doesn't know me from adam, doesn't have any mutual friends, and isn't in any of the groups I am active in. I didn't report them, just deleted them. At least they weren't impersonating someone and if they were, they weren't well known!

I follow Glenn on his official FB page and sometimes I like unofficial pages for the band and the guys when it's clear it's a fan site.

There is a really dirty "Fake Glenn" on Twitter (TheGlennFrey) but it's made obvious it's not him in the bio section. But the not so great part is that they put GFO in the URL box! There is also a funnier humorous one called "NotGlennFrey" that is more lighthearted and funny.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    You're probably right GA. Some of the email spam I get makes no sense. My uncle gets some that contain a paragraph or so of just random words, some of which do not exist!

They're smart, to do what they do. It's like telemarketers in a way. People hate you for doing it, but you do make good money doing it.
    I agree AG because they take people's $$ everyday. They usually prey on the elder which makes me very angry. I had several bank customers who were elderly and preyed upon. I tried everything I knew to make them understand that sending these people money was a huge scam. The ones I saw were coming out of Jamaica.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    There is a really dirty "Fake Glenn" on Twitter (TheGlennFrey) but it's made obvious it's not him in the bio section. But the not so great part is that they put GFO in the URL box! There is also a funnier humorous one called "NotGlennFrey" that is more lighthearted and funny.
    Soda has requested, several times, that they remove it, but they have yet to do it.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I agree AG because they take people's $$ everyday. They usually prey on the elder which makes me very angry. I had several bank customers who were elderly and preyed upon. I tried everything I knew to make them understand that sending these people money was a huge scam. The ones I saw were coming out of Jamaica.
    True. I feel bad for the elderly people who don't understand that people are trying to scam them.
    -Kim-