Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "All the good music has already been written" - Agree or disagree?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: "All the good music has already been written" - Agree or disagree?

I don't hear enough new music to be able to judege. I feel like I'm still catching up on old music.

One newer artist who caught my attention is a throwback to blues-rock of the late 60s/70s and that's Joe Bonamassa (also mentioned by FP). I heard "Sloe Gin" on a Classic Rock guitar playlist and immediately started to research. That song is a cover of a 70s song and I'm not sure how much of his material is new but that's not the kind of research I'm interested in. If it sounds good, I don't care when it was written.

I really like JD SOuther's latest album, Tenderness, and I prefer it to his 70s material.

I hear the occasional good song on the tv but I rarely put the effort in to find who it is. For example, I liked "Peeling Off the Layers" by Wildbirds and Peacedrums that was used for the tv series, "Fortitude".

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I hear the occasional good song on the tv but I rarely put the effort in to find who it is. For example, I liked "Peeling Off the Layers" by Wildbirds and Peacedrums that was used for the tv series, "Fortitude".
    My television remote control has a button whereby if it is pressed, it looks up the currently playing music in a music database. It doesn't always find tracks, but this has been useful over the years.

Out on the Border Jeremy Lawrence's Avatar

Good call on the move, sorry about posting wrong forum.

Dreamer is teasing us! Looking forward to her take on this.

-jl
    Last edited by Jeremy Lawrence; 06-28-2016 at 01:24 PM.
    Jeremy Lawrence - Author
    "Already Gone: a Novel"
    http://smarturl.it/ey9snd
    https://www.facebook.com/alreadygonenovel/

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Dreamer is a lady and a scholar.

I quite enjoyed (am still enjoying) Justin Hayward's most recent solo album, Spirits of the Western Sky. He and Jon Anderson of Yes are rather rare birds: songwriters who continue to be prolific and keep the quality high well into their golden years.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Dreamer is a lady and a scholar.

I quite enjoyed (am still enjoying) Justin Hayward's most recent solo album, Spirits of the Western Sky. He and Jon Anderson of Yes are rather rare birds: songwriters who continue to be prolific and keep the quality high well into their golden years.
    I think there are a number of older artists who are still writing very good material, and releasing it, but it's not being noticed by too many people. Neil Finn's most recent album is IMHO very good, and he's recording another one now.

While music generally sucks these days at least what makes it to radio...the premise of this post is so so wrong in many ways.

Back in 1963 one could have asked thensame question...or in 1945....and then the beatles happen...or the eagles...or the doors...etc...

Besides that, theres great songs in other countries you never heard that are great, but were never imagined in English. I have a connection with Brazil and there is a huge history of great pop music since the 60s over there that you guys never heard. Im so grateful f knowing another culture as i have basically two sets of pop culture music knowledge....what we all know here...Eagles, Beatles, Stones, pink floyd, disco, heavy metal etc.... But also just as iconic music from brazil from all these last decades. So to look at the limited english language music world and assume its all been done...it so so so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    Besides that, theres great songs in other countries you never heard that are great, but were never imagined in English. I have a connection with Brazil and there is a huge history of great pop music since the 60s over there that you guys never heard. Im so grateful f knowing another culture as i have basically two sets of pop culture music knowledge....what we all know here...Eagles, Beatles, Stones, pink floyd, disco, heavy metal etc.... But also just as iconic music from brazil from all these last decades. So to look at the limited english language music world and assume its all been done...it so so so wrong.
    Could you post some excellent Brazillian music?

Here's a song I really like from Japan.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W93B9-epb4[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Could you post some excellent Brazillian music?

Here's a song I really like from Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W93B9-epb4
    I could select from hundreds of soldiers and artists....i could post rock, soft rock, bossa nova etc....

But to keep things simple....this is the go to song when you want to show somebody what they havent been aware of all their lives....that music is not just what they though they knew it was. Its beyond whats in the rock and roll hall of fame or some rolling stone list of greatest songs ever that leaves out songs like this.

This is a duet between Elis Regina and Antonio Carlos (Tom) Jobim. She was a famous singer in Brazil in her prime while he was already a legendary artist that had even done a record with Frank Sinatra. As a 10th year recording aniversary present for her the Record company setup a duet album between these two. This song and video is the gem. must watch

Http://youtu.be/E1tOV7y94DY

I mostly agree with the OP. Most music today doesn't hold up compared to yesteryear. Certainly pop music has taken a nosedive and most rock music today is just that, they forget the roll, so to speak.

There are a few exceptions for me but by and large I believe it to be true for rock n' roll.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I don't hear enough new music to be able to judege. I feel like I'm still catching up on old music.

One newer artist who caught my attention is a throwback to blues-rock of the late 60s/70s and that's Joe Bonamassa (also mentioned by FP). I heard "Sloe Gin" on a Classic Rock guitar playlist and immediately started to research. That song is a cover of a 70s song and I'm not sure how much of his material is new but that's not the kind of research I'm interested in. If it sounds good, I don't care when it was written.

I really like JD SOuther's latest album, Tenderness, and I prefer it to his 70s material.

Most of his material is original. We will be seeing him for the second time in September. Great singer, great guitarist. Sloe Gin is awesome.