Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Deep Cuts

Banned

Default Re: Deep Cuts

Thanks to, impressionable years, discovering all Joe Walsh's albums without having any idea, which tracks were and which tracks were not, the supposed hits (except latterly Life's Been Good), I refuse to recognise the concept of "Deep Cuts".

My favourites are the ones I like listening to the most whether they appear to have a wide appeal or not. Hotel California is rightly regarded as one of the greatest albums of all time and one of the top 20 sellers but I'd much rather listen to Joe's Barnstorm album that failed to even scrape into the weekly chart when it was released. I was stunned when it was made available on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    A few random favorites:

Beatles - "Yes It Is," "Revolution 1," and "Cry Baby Cry"
    Bob Dylan - "Meet Me in the Morning"
    Hootie & The Blowfish - "Honeyscrew" and "Fool"
    Led Zeppelin - "Hots on for Nowhere"
    Stone Temple Pilots - "Meatplow" and "Pretty Penny"
    U2 - "Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World"
    The Who - "Naked Eye," "Trick of the Light," and "Cook's County"
    Wings - "Arrow Through Me"
    Don Henley must like Yes It Is too. He covered it live in the 1980s, with help from JD Souther and TB Schmit, if my memory serves me correctly.

... Wow! It's on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8GEkaJ-z80

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

It's a pity in a way that you don't recognise Deep Cuts. As I'd quite appreciate a recommendation of which individual tracks to start with in Joe's recent albums. If I listen to a whole album I may zone out a bit and miss the highlights. Focussing in on individual tracks works better.

Playing The Confessor, the track, now as it was noted specially in a review.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    It's a pity in a way that you don't recognise Deep Cuts. As I'd quite appreciate a recommendation of which individual tracks to start with in Joe's recent albums. If I listen to a whole album I may zone out a bit and miss the highlights. Focussing in on individual tracks works better.

Playing The Confessor, the track, now as it was noted specially in a review.
    Start a thread in Joe's forum & you will get some answers.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I've finally had time to revisit this thread. I've been looking forward to being able to do this! I have looked at some people's lists posted on here which have reminded me of deep songs that I love. However, I have deliberately avoided looking at my own list from last year, as I think this means my list will be more genuine. It will be interesting to then go back and check if there any songs that I mentioned last time which are no longer on my list.

When it comes to the term deep cut, I feel it is more specific than simply meaning a song that was not released as a single. To me the main two criteria for a deep cut are as follows:
    1) The song shouldn't have been released as a single (I think this is obvious - far too many songs to mention)
    2) The song shouldn't have be very well known or have had a major cultural impact (The ultimate example of this is probably Stairway To Heaven, but Desperado is also a great example - it was not released as a single, yet is amongst the most played and most loved Eagles songs)

I would also add that any song that is prominently showcased in an artist's live performances probably shouldn't make my list. A good example of this is Fleetwood Mac's I'm So Afraid, where the album version is not that well known but the live version is a firm favourite and was on the setlist for many years. I'm less strict about this though, as I think it has to be a true live favourite (I don't think, for instance, that the inclusion of Pretty Maids All In A Row on Hell Freezes Over prevents it from being a 'deep track').

I should say that a few non-album B-sides have found their way onto my list, I will put these in italics. So here's my list, in alphabetical order of artist and chronological order of release of song:

Bob Dylan - She Belongs To Me, Love Minus Zero/No Limit, Bob Dylan's 115th Dream, From A Buick 6, Temporary Like Achilles, Lily, Rosemary & The Jack Of Hearts, Buckets Of Rain, One More Cup Of Coffee

Coldplay - Brothers and Sisters, Spies, High Speed, A Whisper, Amsterdam, One I Love

David Gilmour - Mihalis, Short And Sweet, No Way, A Boat Lies Waiting

Deep Purple - Living Wreck, Maybe I'm A Leo, Lazy, When A Blind Man Cries

Dire Straits - Six Blade Knife, In The Gallery, Wild West End, Where Do You Think You're Going?, Single Handed Sailor, Expresso Love, Solid Rock, It Never Rains, Why Worry?, The Man's Too Strong, How Long

Don Henley - Long Way Home, A Month Of Sundays, Little Tin God, If Dirt Were Dollars, No, Thank You, Praying For Rain, Train In The Distance

Eagles - Train Leaves Here This Morning, Take The Devil, Doolin-Dalton, Out Of Control, Certain Kind Of Fool, Outlaw Man, Bitter Creek, Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise), My Man, Ol' 55, Good Day In Hell, Too Many Hands, After The Thrill Is Gone, Pretty Maids All In A Row, Try And Love Again, The Last Resort, King of Hollywood, The Sad Café, Learn To Be Still, You Are Not Alone, Somebody, Last Good Time In Town, Business As Usual

Fleetwood Mac - Warm Ways, Crystal, I Don’t Wanna Know, Oh Daddy, What Makes You Think You’re The One, Storms, I Know I'm Not Wrong, Beautiful Child, Wish You Were Here

Genesis - Can-Utility and The Coastliners

Joe Walsh - Second Hand Store, Indian Summer, Theme From Boat Weirdos

Led Zeppelin - Your Time Is Gonna Come, How Many More Times, What Is And What Should Never Be, Gallows Pole, Tangerine, Hey Hey What Can I Do, The Ocean, The Rover, Houses of the Holy, In The Light, Bron-Yr-Aur, The Wanton Song, For Your Life, In The Evening

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Things Goin' On, Poison Whiskey, I Need You, The Needle And The Spoon

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Running Dry (Requiem For The Rockets), Tell Me Why, Don't Let It Bring You Down, I Believe In You, Out On The Weekend, See The Sky About To Rain, Vampire Blues, Motion Pictures, Borrowed Tune, Don't Cry No Tears, Pardon My Heart, Barstool Blues, Star Of Bethlehem, Goin’ Back, Pocahontas, Sail Away, Wrecking Ball, Too Far Gone, Country Home, Days That Used To Be, War Of Man, Dreamin’ Man, Driveby, Western Hero, Buffalo Springfield Again

Mark Knopfler - Don't You Get It, Baloney Again, Silvertown Blues, Prairie Wedding, One More Matinee, 5.15AM, Everybody Pays, Postcards From Paraguay, River Towns

Oasis - Half The World Away

Pink Floyd - Lucifer Sam, Let There Be More Light, Cymbaline, Grantchester Meadows, If, Fat Old Sun, Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, A Pillow Of Winds, Fearless, Burning Bridges/Mudmen, Wot's... Uh The Deal, Goodbye Blue Sky, One Of My Turns, Nobody Home, The Final Cut, Poles Apart, Wearing The Inside Out, Coming Back To Life

Rush - Natural Science, The Camera Eye

Wishbone Ash - Errors Of My Way, Valediction, Sometime World, Leaf And Stream, Sorrel, Rock N Roll Widow

A few points I would add:
    . When I started to do this, my immediate thought was that three artists with the most deep cuts would be the Eagles, Pink Floyd and Neil Young. Looking at my list, this has turned out pretty much as I expected.
    . Desperado is heavily represented in my Eagles list. I absolutely love the whole album so I probably should have just said the whole album except Tequila Sunrise and Desperado (because they are too well known)! I also considered including YNCLAL, On The Border and Frail Grasp On The Big Picture but didn't want to go overkill.
    . For once, I've included a couple of reasonably contemporary artists - by my standards, at least! I'm not normally much of an Oasis fan, but I do love Half The World Away, even though it's another that is strictly a B-side. I've also included a few early Coldplay songs from the 2000-2003 era. I don't like what they have become now but I do still enjoy most of the early songs even if I don't play them as much as I used to. To be honest I like R.E.M. (again, more recent than most of my other favourites) more than I like either of these two, but the songs I love are all hits.
    . My Bob Dylan list is fairly short even though I have half a dozen of his albums. Quite simply, I feel that too many of these songs are famous, especially on Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde. It's a similar situation with mid-1970s Pink Floyd, hence the lack of songs from Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals. I did consider Any Colour You Like, which I think was on my original list, but on balance I don't think it belongs here as much as I love it.
    . There are other artists whose music I enjoy to a greater or lesser extent, but either I only own a greatest hits/best of compilation (e.g. The Beach Boys), or as with R.E.M., the songs I like among the artist's most famous ones (e.g. The Jimi Hendrix Experience).

Stuck on the Border

I have to say of the Dire Straits songs you list, I don't see Expresso Love, Solid Rock or Why Worry as deep. The first two are on the Alchemy DVD & Why Worry is on All The Roadrunning with Emmylou Harris. In my view the deep tracks from Making Movies are Hand In Hand & Les Boys.

Of the Knopfler songs he does play Postcards live. His neglect of the utterly magnficent Silvertown Blues is shameful.

And is Gallows Pole really deep if Page & Plant did it in Unledded?