Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Cuts

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Deep Cuts

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    You'll notice that most of my choices are mildly deep cuts. Mostly because I'm a performer and a hits guy. I like the stuff I grew up hearing on radio and in the house and for whatever reason never burn out on them.
    I don't know most of those songs, but Animal is indeed a rather well known song. And a GREAT one.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Doing one per artist, top 15:
    Band- song (album)

Bad Company - Electricland (Rough Diamonds)
    Fleetwood Mac- Everywhere (Tango in the Night)
    Free- Wishing Well (Heartbreaker)
    Def Leppard - Gods of War (Hysteria)
    Van Halen- Don't Tell me What Love Can Do (Balance)
    Stephen Stills- Sit Yourself Down (Stephen Stills)
    Styx- Crystal Ball (Crystal Ball)
    Iron Maiden- Murders In the Rue Morgue (Killers)
    AC-DC - Thunderstruck ( Razors Edge)
    Genesis- No Son of Mine (We can't Dance)
    Lynyrd Skynyrd- Ballad of Curtis Loew (Second Helping)
    Elton John - Levon (Madman Across the Water)
    Rush- Subdivisions (Signals)
    Judas Priest- the Green Manilishi (Unleashed in the East)
    Eric Clapton- Bad Love (Journeyman)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I don't tend to think of Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere as being a deep cut - the singles from Tango In The Night probably receive the most airplay in the UK of any Mac album bar Rumours. It and Little Lies are amongst the best known FM songs in the UK, possibly the most popular outside the Rumours era. I don't know enough about the US situation to comment although I suspect if you mainly listen to classic rock stations then the singles from Tango In The Night are less likely be to played than those from the mid-to-late 1970s FM albums.

However, I am delighted that you included The Ballad Of Curtis Loew in your list, a song which I love and which is probably in my top 5 Lynyrd Skynyrd songs (I only own the first two albums in MP3 format, really like them though - I noticed a vinyl box set of their pre-crash records was released, really hope they do a CD version, it would be exactly what I want). I believe the lyrics were based on Ronnie Van Zant's own experiences and it was great of him to write about how the bluesman inspired him as a kid. It was not only a fantastic tribute to Curtis but also to the Afro-Caribbean bluesmen in general who have inspired so much of the best rock music of the last 50-60 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I don't tend to think of Fleetwood Mac's Everywhere as being a deep cut - the singles from Tango In The Night probably receive the most airplay in the UK of any Mac album bar Rumours. It and Little Lies are amongst the best known FM songs in the UK, possibly the most popular outside the Rumours era. I don't know enough about the US situation to comment although I suspect if you mainly listen to classic rock stations then the singles from Tango In The Night are less likely be to played than those from the mid-to-late 1970s FM albums.

However, I am delighted that you included The Ballad Of Curtis Loew in your list, a song which I love and which is probably in my top 5 Lynyrd Skynyrd songs (I only own the first two albums in MP3 format, really like them though - I noticed a vinyl box set of their pre-crash records was released, really hope they do a CD version, it would be exactly what I want). I believe the lyrics were based on Ronnie Van Zant's own experiences and it was great of him to write about how the bluesman inspired him as a kid. It was not only a fantastic tribute to Curtis but also to the Afro-Caribbean bluesmen in general who have inspired so much of the best rock music of the last 50-60 years.
    Here, only songs from the 1975 self titled and Rumours get airplay. It's like those arethe only 2 albums F Mac did. I was torn between Everywhere and I'm So Afraid. I prefer hearing a live version of I'm so Afraid, so that's why I went with Everywhere.

Curtis Loew is a song that I've loved since I first heard it. I love the storytelling aspect of it, not to mention the music. I don't know about there in England, but here in the states, it's easy to buy the albums on cd, but I don't know about a box set
    -Kim-

The two Fleetwood Mac albums which receive the most airplay in the US are my two favourites.

I'm not a great fan of Tango In The Night unfortunately, the singles are all good pop songs but I find that most of the rest hasn't aged well. I think it has a bit too much of a generic 1980s pop sound, it just doesn't really have the band's sound (Mirage isn't a great record either as far as I'm concerned but it does sound like a Mac record, as the music is defined by Lindsey's guitar and Christine's piano rather than synthesisers).

I'm So Afraid is definitely better live than the studio version - I have the 2 CD Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac which I was given as a Christmas present several years ago and it has the 1997 live version from The Dance album, which beats the original studio recording hands down IMO. The guitar solos Lindsey plays live are much better and I've never understood why he sung so high on the studio version - he sounds higher than usual, which I find jarring on one of their hardest rockers. High male voices only work on hard rock songs IMO if the singer screams like Ian Gillan or Robert Plant, if the singer sings 'normally' in a high voice then I think it sounds weird and dilutes the song.

(This has given me an idea for a new contribution to the Listography thread.)

When I was in my nearest HMV last week I actually checked both the Fleetwood Mac and Lynyrd Skynyrd sections, purely out of curiosity. The two FM albums which they had the most copies of were Rumours and Tango, they also had the self-titled/White album, The Dance live album and several of the pre-Rumours line up Peter Green albums (I am far from being an expert on this era), as well as compilations for both the Green and Buckingham/Nicks versions of the band. They did not have Tusk or Mirage IIRC. When it came to Skynyrd there were again a couple of compilations but the only studio albums I remember seeing were the two I already own and Street Survivors. I think it's fairly safe to say that FM are better known in the UK than Skynyrd, for the latter only a few songs are widely recognised (Free Bird and Sweet Home Alabama mainly) whereas most people here know a decent number of Mac songs and they continue to receive regular airplay.

I agree that Tango is not one of their best albums. Imo, Everywhere 8s the best song on the album, and the one that has stood the test of time the best. I do love Lindsey doing Big Love acoustically by himself as well. Mirage, on the other hand, has one of my top 5 F Mac songs and possibly my favorite music video,too, Gypsy. I love that song. My favorite album is Rumours, and it's also my favorite album of any artist.

I do like the album version of I'm so Afraid, but I agree with the voice thing. If you haven't heard it, watch this version of I'mso Afraid from Live in Boston (2004) https://youtu.be/TDwg28bSjoI
    . It's my favorite live version.

Skynyrd are definitely more popular here. I'm only 4-5 hours away from Jacksonville, Florida(where they are from). Heck, they've even played the local city at least once. I have no problem finding anything by them. I even found the first Rossington Collins album on vinyl a few weeks ago! The Rumours era of Fleetwood Mac is pretty popular here as well, but I have to search harder for their other albums.
    -Kim-

I love Gypsy as well, it's always been of my favourites. The Mirage album is alright IIRC, Gypsy is the standout but unusually for me I actually probably like Christine's songs best - I like Wish You Were Here quite a lot and Hold Me is pretty enjoyable as well (I like Lindsey's guitar) - but a couple of the tracks aren't too impressive, with a couple of Lindsey's tracks such as Oh Diane and Book Of Love being a bit disappointing, especially compared to his superb contributions to Rumours. I don't think I've listened to anything from it bar Gypsy and the couple of others I mentioned though in the last two years or so though.

I have to agree on Rumours being FM's best album, and it is probably the single album I have heard the most in my lifetime as my parents played it a lot when I was a child (they tell me I used to go to sleep when they put it on when I was a baby) and for a couple of years it was really the only album I enjoyed listening to. My favourite song is The Chain (which is partially due to the use of the outro as the BBC's Formula One music - McVie's bass solo and Lindsey's explosive guitar capture the feeling of a Grand Prix start perfectly) although you can't go wrong with any of them. It wouldn't quite come top of my personal list although I'm fairly sure it would be in the top 10.

I mentioned my favourite Fleetwood Mac deep cuts on the first page of this thread - I would say that most of my favourite songs by them are from the self-titled, Rumours and Tusk (which I am ambivalent about as a whole but the best songs from it as are as good as anything they've done).

It's been awhile since I listened to Mirage as well. None of the songs can top Gypsy, though.

The Chain is also my favorite Fleetwood Mac song. I can remember being 8 years old and loving John Mcvie's bass part in the middle. (Though I only heard on radio and not on tv while watching the US's different types of racing).

Tusk would've been a great single album (sorta like LROOE ). The best songs are top notch, but song are just "really guys, that's all you can come up with?".

Christine's songs have stood the test of time the best, I think. Her songs never sound dated.
    -Kim-

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

This will be quite a lengthy list, as I have listened to a great many albums in the past few years and have always thought that deep cuts told more of the story behind an artist and his/her music than most hits can.

AC/DC: "Rock and Roll Singer," "Ride On," "Gone Shootin'," "Kicked in the Teeth," "Girl's Got Rhythm," and "Night Prowler."

Allman Brothers Band: "Little Martha" and "Pony Boy."

Bad Company: "The Way I Choose," "Seagull," "Morning Sun," and "Like Water."

Beatles: "I Need You," "If I Needed Someone," "Love You To," "Here There & Everywhere," "Doctor Robert," "I Want to Tell You," "Getting Better," "Fixing a Hole," "Baby You're a Rich Man," "Wild Honey Pie," "Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill," "Long Long Long," "Old Brown Shoe," "Only a Northern Song," "It's All Too Much," and "Octopus' Garden."
    George Harrison: "If Not for You," "This Song," "Beautiful Girl," "Faster," "That's the Way it Goes," "That's What it Takes," and "Pisces Fish."
    John Lennon: "Tight A$" and "Nobody Loves You When You're Down and Out."
    Paul McCartney: "Rockestra Theme."

Blood, Sweat, & Tears: "Sometimes in Winter."

Boston: "It's Easy" and "A Man I'll Never Be."

Byrds: "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better," "Mr. Spaceman," and "Have You Seen Her Face?"

Cream: "Wrapping Paper," "Sweet Wine," "Blue Condition," "SWLABR," "Passing the Time," "Pressed Rat & Warthog," "Those Were the Days," "Anyone for Tennis?," and "Doing that Scrapyard Thing."
    Eric Clapton: "The Core."
    Jack Bruce: "Rope Ladder to the Moon," "Escape to the Royal Wood(on Ice)," and "You Burned the Tables on Me."

CCR: "Long as I Can See the Light," "Chameleon," and "(Wish I Could) Hideaway."

Deep Purple: "Smooth Dancer" and "Maybe I'm a Leo."

Doors: "I Looked at You," "Tell All the People," "Easy Ride," "Wild Child," "Running Blue," "Wishful Sinful," "The Changeling," "Been Down So Long," and "Texas Radio and the Big Beat."

Eagles: "Chug All Night," "Train Leaves Here This Morning," "Outlaw Man," "Bitter Creek," "You Never Cry Like a Lover," "Midnight Flyer," "My Man," "Ol' 55," "Good Day in Hell," "Too Many Hands," "Hollywood Waltz," "Journey of the Sorcerer," "Visions," "After the Thrill is Gone," "I Wish You Peace," "Wasted Time," "Last Resort," "King of Hollywood," "The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks," "Sad Cafe," "Life's Been Good(from 'Eagles Live')," "New Kid in Town(also from 'Eagles Live')," and "Tequila Sunrise(from HFO)."
    Glenn Frey: "This Way to Happiness," "Party Town," "I Found Somebody," and "I Got Love."
    Joe Walsh: "County Fair," "At the Station," "Indian Summer," "Down on the Farm," "Rivers of the Hidden Funk," "Rockets," "I Can Play that Rock and Roll," "Told You So," "The Worry Song," "Space Age Whiz Kids," "Rosewood Bitters," "Gamma-Goochee," "Shut Up," "Fairbanks AK," and "Vote for Me."

ELO: "Fire on High."

ELP: "The Barbarian," "Take a Pebble," "The Three Fates," "The Endless Enigma," and "Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman."

Fleetwood Mac: "Emerald Eyes."

Foghat: "Got to Get to Know You," "Fool's Hall of Fame," "Couldn't Make Her Stay," "Step Outside," "Fly By Night," "My Babe," "Stone Blue," and "Choo Choo Ch-Boogie."

Grand Funk Railroad: "Footstompin' Music," "People Let's Stop the War," and "Save the Land."

Grateful Dead: "Beat it on Down the Line" and "Candy Man."

Guns 'N' Roses: "Night Train."

Iron Butterfly: "Soul Experience."

Led Zeppelin: "How Many More Times?," "Bring it on Home," "Out on the Tiles," "That's the Way," "The Rover," "In the Evening," "Hot Dog," and "Carouselambra."

Gordon Lightfoot: "Minstrel of the Dawn," "Approaching Lavender," "Circle of Steel," "Seven Island Suite," and "Race Among the Ruins."

Lynyrd Skynyrd: "Poison Whiskey," "The Needle and the Spoon," "Railroad Song," "All I Can Do is Write About it," "Crossroads(live)," "One More Time," and "I Never Dreamed."

Manassas(with Stephen Stills and Chris Hillman): "It Doesn't Matter."

Moody Blues: "Legend of a Mind," "Om," "Candle of Life," "Floating," "Lazy Day," "New Horizons," and "You and Me."

Alan Parsons Project: "In the Lap of the Gods."

Tom Petty: "King's Road," "Rebels," "Don't Bring Me Down(live)," "Jamming Me," "The Damage You've Done," "A Self-Made Man," "Love is a Long Road," "A Face in the Crowd," "Yer So Bad," "Zombie Zoo," "King's Highway," "The Dark of the Sun," "Wildflowers," "To Find a Friend," "Room at the Top," "Lonesome Sundown," "Accused of Love," and "Echo."

Pink Floyd: "Apples and Oranges," "If," "Fat Old Sun," "A Pillow of Winds," "Stay," "Pigs on the Wing," and "Wearing the Inside Out."

Elvis Presley: "Yoga is as Yoga Does," "The Love Machine," and "Riding the Rainbow."

Gerry Rafferty: "Mattie's Rag," "Island," and "Get it Right Next Time."

Ramones: "Cretin Hop," "Here Today Gone Tomorrow," "Locket Love," "I Don't Care," "Do You Wanna Dance?" "I Wanted Everything," "Don't Come Close," "Needles and Pins," "All's Quiet on the Eastern Front," "Don't Go," and "It's Not My Place(in the 9 to 5 World)."

REM: "Pretty Persuasion," "Don't Go Back to Rockville," "Welcome to the Occupation," New Orleans Instrumentals 1 & 2, and "Crush With Eyeliner."

REO Speedwagon: "Let Me Ride," "Whiskey Night," "Without Expression(Don't Be the Man)," "Give Me a Ride(Roller Coaster)," "Sky Blues," "You Can Fly," "Lost in a Dream," "Out of Control," "River of Life," "Dream Weaver," and "Rock and Roll Star."

Rolling Stones: "Citadel," "In Another Land," and "You Got the Silver."

Ten Years After: "Sugar the Road," "Working on the Road," "50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain," "Year 3,000 Blues," "Baby Won't You Let Me Rock and Roll You?," "Let the Sky Fall," "Religion," "Nowhere to Run," "Positive Vibrations," "Stone Me," and "Without You."

Traffic: "Hidden Treasure," "Many a Mile to Freedom," and "Roll Right Stones."

Uriah Heep: "July Morning."

The Who: "The Good's Gone," "Tommy Overture," "Acid Queen," "Welcome," "Postcard" and "Slip Kid."

Neil Young: "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" and "Out on the Weekend."
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border

I could comment on a few of those. Regarding the Beatles I wouldn't call Here, There & Everywhere deep - I would choose For No-One instead. Love Doctor Robert. The other songs are all great choices. I would possibly go for I've Got A Feeling & You Know My Name (Look Up The Number).

For Led Zeppelin the last five tracks you listed are among my favourites. I would maybe add Tea For One - a song which is rarely mentioned.

Love all three of the Gerry Rafferty songs. I would add The Royal Mile.

I had the immense privilege of seeing the Rolling Stones play You Got The Silver in 2014. Add anything from A Bigger Bang - Laugh, I Nearly Died is a good one.

If I may, as I become more familiar with early Genesis I can now add a couple of deep tracks by them: Can-Utility & the Coastliners, The Chamber of 32 Doors, Lilywhite Lilith.