Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Tempchin

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Jack Tempchin

Thanks for posting this, Soda. It was very interesting. Here was my favorite part:

Tempchin recalls a time when he came over to Frey's house where there was candlelight and a bottle of wine. "Glenn had a way of romancing a song," he says. "Then we hit an idea and all of a sudden, 'Whammo! Wow that's good!' I learned a lot about songwriting from him."

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I know, Dreamer, I know.

I found an interesting radio interview with Jack Tempchin. Although most of it is about the legalization of marijuana (which is informative), there are some interesting Eagle tidbits, mainly about his collaboration & friendship with Glenn. Once you access the link, you have to scroll down and click on "Hear our interview by clicking here".

http://www.radioornot.blogspot.com/2...and-humor.html

More Tempchin!

Jack Is One of the Greats by George Varga

Jack Tempchin, who performs Wednesday at the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla with his band, should merit at least a few chapters when the definitive history of rock 'n' roll in San Diego is compiled.

A mainstay of the local scene since the 1960s, when he and musical pal Tom Waits completed the song “Tijuana” just moments before first performing it on stage, Tempchin managed the Back Door at SDSU during its heyday in the late 1960s and early 1970s. He later co-owned the Stingaree in Encinitas, one of North County's most popular live-music clubs.

His first band of note, the Funky Kings, recorded a lone album — 1976's “Funky Kings” on Arista Records — that was so full of terrific songs, including the future chart-topper “Slow Dancin',” that stardom seemed assured. They were promised as much by Arista president Clive Davis, the man who'd previously signed such budding stars as Janis Joplin, Santana, Chicago, Aerosmith and Earth, Wind & Fire.

“When the Funky Kings finished making our album, Clive sat us down in a bungalow at the Beverly Hills Hotel,” Tempchin recalled. “He said, ‘Look, you guys, you're all going to be hugely famous, and I hope you can handle it.’ Why that didn't happen, I still don't know.”

Yet, while fame eluded Tempchin, he struck gold as one of pop's most gifted and prolific songwriters. And while his latest album, 2007's self-produced “Songs,” is only his third solo outing since 1978, its title captures the essence of what he does best.

Indeed, it is Tempchin's gently infectious songs that strike a resounding chord with listeners, especially the versions recorded by other artists.
    His songwriting credits include Johnny Rivers' “Slow Dancin' (Swayin' to the Music)” and The Eagles' “Already Gone” and “Peaceful Easy Feeling.” Together with Glenn Frey, whom he met here in the late 1960s before Frey joined The Eagles, Tempchin co-wrote “Smuggler's Blues” and “You Belong to the City” (which later were sampled on records by hip-hop stars Coolio and Jay-Z, respectively).

Other artists who have recorded songs by Tempchin over the years range from George Jones and Emmylou Harris to Richie Havens and such San Diego-bred artists as The Paladins and former Byrds member Chris Hillman. Songs written or co-written by Tempchin have been featured on the soundtracks of such films as “The Big Lebowski” and “Thelma and Louise.” He also co-wrote the “Seventh Heaven” TV series theme song.
    “Jack is one of the greats,” said fellow San Diego troubadour Steve Poltz, during a Sunday songwriting panel with Tempchin at the North Park Music Thing.

“I used to hear (The Eagles') ‘Already Gone’ and ‘Peaceful Easy Feeling’ all the time, and they didn't do a lot for me. But then I heard Jack do them live at the old Casbah (in the early 1990s) and he owned those songs. It was the same with ‘Slow Dancin'.’ I didn't think much (of Rivers' version), but when Jack did it, it was the sexiest song I've ever heard.”

A San Diego native who now splits his time between Encinitas and Los Angeles, Tempchin celebrated his 36th wedding anniversary on Aug. 5. For the past decade, he has performed most Tuesday nights at Calypso Cafe in Encinitas with his local band, Rocket Science. For his 21-and-up Green Flash concert series gig Wednesday night at La Jolla's Birch Aquarium, he'll play with his four-man Los Angeles band, which features Neil Young bassist Rick Rosas and guitarist Burton Averre of The Knack.

“I always thought of myself as a performer,” Tempchin said. “I didn't think of being a writer until I wrote a bunch of songs and people said: ‘Hey, I'd like to sing that.’ After a while, I thought, ‘Maybe I can be a songwriter.’ ”
    In 1967, Tempchin befriended Frey after the future Eagle began playing gigs here with J.D. Souther. Tempchin invited the duo to crash at his combination “hippie pad and candle factory” in North Park, and he and Frey became fast friends.

Tempchin co-wrote two songs on 2007's “Long Road Out of Eden,” The Eagles' first new studio album since 1979. With two of his earlier songs featured on “Eagles Greatest Hits 1971-1975,” which has sold nearly 30 million copies in the U.S. alone, he could have retired long ago. But his passion for making music continues unabated.

“I'm 62, but nobody wants to quit,” said Tempchin, who laments the lack of opportunities for young and veteran singer-songwriters alike.
    “In the 1960s, people dug the music, but they didn't all want to be rock stars. Now, it's a ‘career path,’ but there's no money for songwriters (in a digital music age). If I'm having trouble geting my songs placed, what can these people who don't have a bunch of hit songs in their pocket do? It's pretty frightening.”

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Jack has a Facebook fanpage now! Don't tell Don Henley.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eagles...in/42280894815

Border Desperado

Default Already Gone? By the original songwriter

If you've never heard how Robb Strandlund sounded on the song Already Gone... here he is live at a little club in San Diego County back in the 70's... Bob Warford plays some mean guitar on it... you might know Bob from his fine playing with Linda Ronstadt specifically on her version of "Willin'"

Willin, is a great song written by Lowell George (the love of Linda's life) and the song that prompted Frank Zappa to tell Lowell (upon hearing it) that it was time for him to go do his own thing and quit the Mothers of Invention.....

When Willin' was set to be cut for the first little feat record Lowell had hurt his hand and Ry Cooder came by and played the slide part.... (which is why it is the one slide song that doesn't sound like the others!)

Anyway... this version of Already Gone is funky and cool... I hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by bernie's bender; 09-22-2009 at 12:17 PM.
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Default Re: Already Gone? By the original songwriter

Wow, that's very different indeed! The Eagles must have really played around with the arrangement to get what they got out of it, or he's mixing it up now himself.

He's played several places around that area - makes me wish I lived in California!

Thanks for the link!

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Wow, that's very different indeed! The Eagles must have really played around with the arrangement to get what they got out of it, or he's mixing it up now himself.

He's played several places around that area - makes me wish I lived in California!

Thanks for the link!
    Oh yeah, his version was much 'funkier'... Glenn came up with the lick that I think made the song have a 'hook'... that and the very wild pick harmonics really made the song...

I've seen Jack probably 20 times over the years (of course I saw the Eagles at least 20 times or more in the 70's)... the recording is okay, but I can tell you that Jack's bands (especially when Bob played with him) were stormin' good nights!

Bob and Clarence White have a lot of the same 'sounds' on guitar... and Clarence was a huge influence on bernie (the whole bender thing came from Clarence's head) and Bob and Clarence were instrumental (ha, a pun!) in developing the whole 'country rock' sound... along with Eddie Black etc...

Some of Bobs best playing are on the Heart Like a Wheel record (I have an awesome KSAN live recording of Ronstadt too that has some great playing on it)

the Heart Like a Wheel record was produced by John Boylan who was also the producer of Ricky Nelsons comeback records that Randy was brought in on... kinda funny... Boylan pitched Meisner as legit to Nelson and RM is a HUGE Nelson fan... it is a small world after all....

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    If you've never heard how Jack Tempchin sounded on the song Already Gone... here he is live at a little club in San Diego County back in the 70's... Bob Warford plays some mean guitar on it... you might know Bob from his fine playing with Linda Ronstadt specifically on her version of "Willin'"

Willin, is a great song written by Lowell George (the love of Linda's life) and the song that prompted Frank Zappa to tell Lowell (upon hearing it) that it was time for him to go do his own thing and quit the Mothers of Invention.....

When Willin' was set to be cut for the first little feat record Lowell had hurt his hand and Ry Cooder came by and played the slide part.... (which is why it is the one slide song that doesn't sound like the others!)

Anyway... this version of Already Gone is funky and cool... I hope you enjoy it!

This is the first time I have ever heard that Lowell George & Linda Ronstadt were even involved, let alone that he was 'the love of her life'.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    This is the first time I have ever heard that Lowell George & Linda Ronstadt were even involved, let alone that he was 'the love of her life'.
    Here is a picture and cool little thing Boylan used to put on the studio wall...

If you can correctly name the people in the photo... I'll give you a prize!

The internet is full of rumors and stuff... and anyone can make anything up... but, I think if you asked folks would be pretty forthright that Linda and Lowell's thing was fo'real... the fact that Lowell was married makes it complicated...

What is kind of interesting is how these people kind of swirled around each other... the maryland connection where Hillman found Emmylou and when some more folks went out there, the gang found George Massenburg and lots of Linda Ronstadt history (and many others too) was made with George as the magician....

and of course, gram was involved....