Page 71 of 145 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I agree. But repackaged as what?? I feel that Deacon is there to bring in the nostalgia factor...especially with the long hair and sunglasses on his head (and it looks like he has a mustache now?), to remind the fans, and perhaps the band themselves, of a time when they were all young together.

This is all just so sad.
    Hi Groupie! I know, I feel sad too, it's impossible not to. My personal sense is IF the intent is to create (invent/rebrand/repackage) a TOURING band that can continue into the next decade they need to start building the foundation now.

I know I say it all the time but TOURING is where the money is. They have no new songs to work with it's still very much the tribute/nostalgia tour it's been for years.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    Henley isn't even dedicating Desperado to Glenn anymore???

Reading posts in another thread on here made me think I understood where the other side was coming from, and then I read about the Indianapolis show, and I'm still mad. They may say they didn't replace him, but that's what they've done. If you look at the set list, more of Glenn's songs were done than they ever did when he was alive. It's like Henley has waited for years to have total control of the band and now he has his chance to do whatever he wants with it. Like Vince Gill doing Ol' 55, without Henley, even...just gets me steamed. Ol' 55 is one of my favorite Eagles songs, I love Glenn's vocal on it, it is just so wrong to have anyone else singing it. This whole thing is wrong.

When I was reading the review of the shows, New Kid in Town came on my pandora and this just rang true with me: "They will never forget you till somebody new comes along." Indeed.
    I thought the only additions were Ol '55 & How Long. All the others were played on the HOTE tour.

I feel I have to read a few of the reviews at least so I can judge the mood & how this thing is coming across. I suspect that won't last long; I will just stop even looking at them.

I don't know what this 'repackaging' stuff would include, but if it means Gill singing his songs & having other guest artists as AT suggested elsewhere, then it would be more of a revue than a credible rock show, and I would feel less resentful of it.

While I understand & applaud these men for wishing to move on, in my view they chose entirely the wrong method for doing it. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I thought the only additions were Ol '55 & How Long. All the others were played on the HOTE tour.

I feel I have to read a few of the reviews at least so I can judge the mood & how this thing is coming across. I suspect that won't last long; I will just stop even looking at them.

I don't know what this 'repackaging' stuff would include, but if it means Gill singing his songs & having other guest artists as AT suggested elsewhere, then it would be more of a revue than a credible rock show, and I would feel less resentful of it.

While I understand & applaud these men for wishing to move on, in my view they chose entirely the wrong method for doing it. That's all.
    That's the thing. Everybody knows (or should know) Vince Gill is not an Eagle. He was hired specifically as an addition to perform and play on tour just like Deacon Frey was. How long before Vince Gill would want to sing one or more of his songs? Vince has a huge fanbase I would imagine that is part of the draw (ticket sales).

Something else to consider. Amy Grant. Vince's wife and a lovely, very talented, and popular country music artist in her own right. Would anyone really be surprised if she joined him on stage one night to sing one of their signature duet songs or even a song from the Eagles catalogue?
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-14-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    That's the thing. Everybody knows (or should know) Vince Gill is not an Eagle. He was hired specifically as an addition to perform and play on tour just like Deacon Frey was. How long before Vince Gill would want to sing one or more of his songs? Vince has a huge fanbase I would imagine that is part of the draw (ticket sales).

Something else to consider. Amy Grant. Vince's wife and a lovely, very talented, and popular country music artist in her own right. Would anyone really be surprised if she joined him on stage one night to sing one of their signature duet songs or even a song from the Eagles catalogue?
    Perhaps you missed it or I have misunderstood you. He DID sing one of his own songs. Presumably he will continue to do so. I have no knowledge or opinion of his wife but like I said, if they want to dilute the thing even further, it would be more palatable, because the credibility, such as it is, would just continue to ebb away.

As far as Henley, Walsh & Schmit are concerned, VG & DF are Eagles, not additions, or why would they be in photos and take part in the bows at the end. In my view they are wrong, but that's the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Perhaps you missed it or I have misunderstood you. He DID sing one of his own songs. Presumably he will continue to do so. I have no knowledge or opinion of his wife but like I said, if they want to dilute the thing even further, it would be more palatable, because the credibility, such as it is, would just continue to ebb away.

As far as Henley, Walsh & Schmit are concerned, VG & DF are Eagles, not additions, or why would they be in photos and take part in the bows at the end. In my view they are wrong, but that's the situation.

I'm sorry for the confusion FP -- I didn't express myself well. Yes, I know VG sang a song of his own last night and was more or less suggesting in light of his own super size fanbase and song catalog it isn't surprising he'd want to play and sing a song of his own. In fact, I think it's possible this may have been part of the equation from the beginning and that as the tour progresses they will add more of his songs.

Personally, I don't know if Vince Gill and Deacon Frey are considered "permanent" or temporary additions to the Eagles hired specifically to enable them to do the Classic concerts and this big 52 play-dates tour. Certainly they are featured prominently in concert promotional/publicity photos and of course are an integral part of the show from start to finish.

Absolutely agree how wrong this is.
    Last edited by Dawn; 03-15-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    I found it depressing the way Glenn has been marginalized as an after thought.
    Me too, NKIT.

And supposedly VG is doing a solo song...sickening. And he's now playing the solo in TIE. Joe did a great job with that solo, took it and gave it some rock energy and got rid of the clean country thing Bernie did and I assume VG is doing. Ugh.

The reason Vince is playing his songs during the show is simply taking advantage of the size of the crowd. He may have some fans and played bigger places, but an Eagles show is going to be much larger than what he's used to and he's trying to now push his music onto Eagles listeners. At least with the guys' solo songs they were in the band and mostly liked by Eagles listeners of the classic era. SMH.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

From what I've seen, no Eagles song was cut to make room for the Vince Gill song, so at worst it's an opportunity for a comfort break. I don't see it as a big deal.

I find it disappointing that the remaining band have still not performed a public tribute to Glenn and the limited spoken references to him in the shows seems inadequate. However, as long as they continue to sing his songs, he is being remembered.

I see you don't have a problem with the shows, UTW. Do you believe that this is a legitimate venture, then?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I see you don't have a problem with the shows, UTW. Do you believe that this is a legitimate venture, then?
    You are incorrect. I have deleted my longer explanation because I have been told it is inappropriate for this thread.
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 03-15-2018 at 02:07 PM.

I understand and respect your viewpoint, UTW. However, I think it belongs in another thread. I'll be happy to move your posts to the thread where people are debating the merits of the tour.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten