Page 61 of 145 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    As long as there is still milk in the proverbial cash cow, it really doesn’t matter much who is up on the stage as long as it’s named ‘Eagles’. If we are right about this, all I can say is WHAT A FREAKIN’ SHAME to reduce the legacy of America's greatest band to this.
    I think that's exactly the way it is now. Again, just keep the cash cow on life support/replacement members. That seems to be their mindset at this point.

It is a big shame and it disgusts me to no end. Talk about going out with a whimper instead of a bang. If that isn't it, I don't know what is. It is just wrong.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

As I do on occasion, I went over to the Eagles official site out of curiosity earlier today. At the top of the banner, in a font so small that I didn’t even notice it at a first and even second glance, it reads ‘Glenn Frey 1948 -2016’. So that’s what we have left of the founding member and leader of the band for over 45 years. Of course, underneath the banner is a nice large picture of the new band with said leader’s replacements, and below that, in font about 2/3’s larger than said leader’s acknowledgement is the announcement of the new tour.

I swear it literally turned my stomach when I saw it. I started thinking back to the beginning of this thread when some members kept warning us about how much we were overreacting – after all they were only doing two shows that would be wonderful opportunities to pay proper tribute to Glenn that he so deserved … and it’s not like they were replacing him in the band – everyone knew he could never be replaced for goodness sake ... and therefore, it really didn’t matter what they called themselves … yadda yadda yadda. All I can say is what a difference a year (or maybe it’s 9 months) makes.

I also remember some discussions on the board back several years ago around the time that a few shows had to be canceled due to Don’s and Tim’s health issues when I proclaimed on several occasions that if any of the four remaining member were unable to continue, then I truly believed the band would call it quits. Wow! – How foolish and naïve was I ??? OOPS! So, at this point, yeah … I’m now of the opinion that if they can replace Glenn, then any and all of the members are replaceable. The precedent has now been set and this could keep going for who knows how long. As long as there is still milk in the proverbial cash cow, it really doesn’t matter much who is up on the stage as long as it’s named ‘Eagles’. If we are right about this, all I can say is WHAT A FREAKIN’ SHAME to reduce the legacy of America's greatest band to this.
    Dreamer - Could not have said it better myself. I think Don and to a lesser extent, Irving, are quite happy calling the shots now. No one to contend with or disagree/argue with. According to my FB page, they just announced more cities yesterday. This could keep going a long time as long as they stay healthy.

I agree with others that the title of the thread is confusing, especially for new members. Perhaps it should be changed so people know what it is about.

Stuck on the Border

As I do on occasion, I went over to the Eagles official site out of curiosity earlier today. At the top of the banner, in a font so small that I didn’t even notice it at a first and even second glance, it reads ‘Glenn Frey 1948 -2016’. So that’s what we have left of the founding member and leader of the band for over 45 years. Of course, underneath the banner is a nice large picture of the new band with said leader’s replacements, and below that, in font about 2/3’s larger than said leader’s acknowledgement is the announcement of the new tour.

I swear it literally turned my stomach when I saw it. I started thinking back to the beginning of this thread when some members kept warning us about how much we were overreacting – after all they were only doing two shows that would be wonderful opportunities to pay proper tribute to Glenn that he so deserved … and it’s not like they were replacing him in the band – everyone knew he could never be replaced for goodness sake ... and therefore, it really didn’t matter what they called themselves … yadda yadda yadda. All I can say is what a difference a year (or maybe it’s 9 months) makes.

I also remember some discussions on the board back several years ago around the time that a few shows had to be canceled due to Don’s and Tim’s health issues when I proclaimed on several occasions that if any of the four remaining member were unable to continue, then I truly believed the band would call it quits. Wow! – How foolish and naïve was I ??? OOPS! So, at this point, yeah … I’m now of the opinion that if they can replace Glenn, then any and all of the members are replaceable. The precedent has now been set and this could keep going for who knows how long. As long as there is still milk in the proverbial cash cow, it really doesn’t matter much who is up on the stage as long as it’s named ‘Eagles’. If we are right about this, all I can say is WHAT A FREAKIN’ SHAME to reduce the legacy of America's greatest band to this.
    Thank you, Dreamer.

Border Desperado longtimeeaglesfan's Avatar

I do note that on the announcements of the two additional concerts that it says, "The Eagles – Don Henley, Joe Walsh & Timothy B. Schmit, with Vince Gill and Deacon Frey"

There is a "with" added in there which would indicate that to me that the "Eagles" consist of only Henley, Walsh & Schmit. However I do get that several people don't consider those three performing together to be "Eagles" either.

The banner (Glenn Frey 1948-2016) that is at the very top of the page does take you to what I think is a very fitting page recognizing Glenn's passing.

It seems reasonable for a band to pause or postpone dates when a key member is sick or otherwise unavailable as presumably the planned concert(s) have been planned with that member's contributions worked into the setlist. The band postponed the Kennedy Center honors for that reason.

It seems there are many organizations, bands included, that carry on without their founding members, after they are no longer with us.

I would have thought that there may be some sort of discussion between Glenn and his family, if not other members of the band, what he would like to have happen in the event of his death. Because of his family's support and son's participation in this lineup, it would indicate to me that Glenn would be okay with this. I'm pretty sure he has indicated at times that he saw the Eagles as a business and that the money played an important factor.

I don't expect my comments to change any minds and I'm sure that these points have been made in this thread by others already, but I respectfully am on the side that thinks what they are doing is fine and that their legacy is in no way diminished.

Stuck on the Border

And right on cue, here we go again.

For a start I don't buy the 'Glenn was OK with it because his son...etc'. We don't know that, and in any case, as I have said ad nauseam, even if he was OK with it, that doesn't make it right. Not to me.

Reducing a rock band to the same as any business that exists only to make money is not a good analogy. This is not the same as (e.g.) Apple continuing after the death of Steve Jobs. This is about a particular mix of personalities whose business was performing their songs. What is being said here is that it apparently doesn't matter WHO performs the songs, as long as the songs are performed. The previous situation where events were postponed is sadly no longer relevant.

As for money, please. These guys are rich beyond the comprehension of anyone on this board. They do not need the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    And right on cue, here we go again.

For a start I don't buy the 'Glenn was OK with it because his son...etc'. We don't know that, and in any case, as I have said ad nauseam, even if he was OK with it, that doesn't make it right. Not to me.

Reducing a rock band to the same as any business that exists only to make money is not a good analogy. This is not the same as (e.g.) Apple continuing after the death of Steve Jobs. This is about a particular mix of personalities whose business was performing their songs. What is being said here is that it apparently doesn't matter WHO performs the songs, as long as the songs are performed. The previous situation where events were postponed is sadly no longer relevant.

As for money, please. These guys are rich beyond the comprehension of anyone on this board. They do not need the money.
    I couldn't agree more FP.

I reallllllly doubt that Glenn would have wanted them to continue but even if he did, I still feel it's very wrong to do so. It doesn't change my mind one iota.

It's music, and for my money's worth - Glenn was the heart of the Eagles. You can't just rip it out and expect all of us to go along as if nothing ever happened.

The banner on the official site is pathetic, quite frankly. If that's all they can muster then I certainly don't feel bad at all for feeling the way I do. If people want to overlook that, then they can enjoy the concerts and those left from the band and good for them and if they like it, more to them. But I just can't. And there is nothing wrong with that, and from the looks of it I'm not the only one.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

The Eagles documentary enabled them to embark on a long and very arduous tour which I gotta believe was hard on everyone but especially Glenn Frey. Indeed, according to Bob Seger who saw Glenn not long afterwards, Glenn was "worn out".

The real shame is while the HOTE tour made them all a boatload of money it did not come without a price.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

As for the remaining members embarking on another big tour is anyone really surprised? Personally I knew after they added more dates following the Classics that was the goal. They will continue as long as they can. That's where the money is. I fully expect a commercialized tribute to Glenn Frey will also happen whether it's a live concert, a DVD or record. It's all about capitalizing on the Eagles brand.

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I couldn't agree more FP.

I reallllllly doubt that Glenn would have wanted them to continue but even if he did, I still feel it's very wrong to do so. It doesn't change my mind one iota.

It's music, and for my money's worth - Glenn was the heart of the Eagles. You can't just rip it out and expect all of us to go along as if nothing ever happened.

The banner on the official site is pathetic, quite frankly. If that's all they can muster then I certainly don't feel bad at all for feeling the way I do. If people want to overlook that, then they can enjoy the concerts and those left from the band and good for them and if they like it, more to them. But I just can't. And there is nothing wrong with that, and from the looks of it I'm not the only one.
    Very true!

Re the music: Personally, I was completely underwhelmed by Vince Gill and really don't get why he was hired as a touring member other than to take the pressure off Deacon who simply can't be expected to fill in on all his dad's lead vocals. That's #1. Number 2 - Vince Gill and his long time country music industry/fans connection plus availability to commit to *30 to 40 or more concerts a year was most likely a valuable consideration. Unsure about their ability to continue to command premium ticket prices may have also been a factor in the decision to add Vince Gill to the lineup indefinitly. I just don't care for the way the band sounds at all.

* looks like they are currently at or very near 40 concerts scheduled for 2018
    Last edited by Dawn; 01-11-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    As for the remaining members embarking on another big tour is anyone really surprised? Personally I knew after they added more dates following the Classics that was the goal. They will continue as long as they can. That's where the money is. I fully expect a commercialized tribute to Glenn Frey will also happen whether it's a live concert, a DVD or record. It's all about capitalizing on the Eagles brand.
    I completely disagree that there will be a tribute.

After all, as far as these people seem to be concerned Glenn Frey is no longer relevant to them. If they had wanted to do a tribute they would have done so before now.

Glenn was 'worn out' when I last saw him in March 2015. It's sad, but it's a fact.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-11-2018 at 04:44 PM.