Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe - The Future

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Joe - The Future

Off topic - but good to hear that Ringo is putting out an album. His last, Postcards from Paradise, is one of his best, iMHO.

Joe is likely to be on the album, but unlikely to be on the tour. He's not been a member of the All-Starr Band for a while. It's a pity that Ringo isn't playing in the UK.

Banned

Joe was in a couple of Ringo's All Starr bands before the Eagles resumed.... and that was before he became Family.

Free of his Eagles obligations, Joe may have space in his diary to team up with Ringo again. It'd be great to see him on stage with Ringo, sober.

Joe's lengthy stint with the Eagles overshadows his other bands , (off the top of my head) The Measles, The James Gang, Barnstorm, Ringo's All Starr Band, The Best, The Party Boys, The Herbs and the ill fated band that HFO scuppered with Frankie Miller, Nicky Hopkins and Ian Wallace.

I believe they were tentatively labeled, Fire And Brimstone. At the time I was pleased that Fire And Brimstone didn't take off, I thought he should stick with Joe Vitale, but after becoming more familiar with Frankie Miller's material and a 20 year album drought after Songs For A Dying Planet, the prospect of Joe in a band of capable British musos sounds pretty promising, especially for UK based Walsh fans.

Banned

I'm guessing that, if Henley is hitting his 70th birthday this year, Joe will be too. (Nov 20th). If, like Henley, there's a birthday, concert celebration, it could be quite an event! The James Gang, Barnstorm and Eagles all on the same stage, without even mentioning all the superstars he's pals with, and has worked with, since the late 60s.

It's likely that they'll be busy working elsewhere but I can reel off 10 to begin with:

1. Ringo Starr
    2 Bill Szymczyk
    2. Waddy Wachtel
    3. Jeff Lynne
    4. Jay Ferguson
    5. George Perry
    6. Steve Winwood
    7. JD Souther
    8. Richard Marx
    9. Michael Stanley
    10. Taylor Hawkins

plus some mighty guitar heroes and several stars he's shared posters and stages with. He's going to bump into Stevie Nicks at the Henley show. She's written songs about Joe.

Stuck on the Border

Pedant's corner... Bill Szymczyk isn't a performer.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'm guessing that, if Henley is hitting his 70th birthday this year, Joe will be too. (Nov 20th). If, like Henley, there's a birthday, concert celebration, it could be quite an event! The James Gang, Barnstorm and Eagles all on the same stage, without even mentioning all the superstars he's pals with, and has worked with, since the late 60s.

It's likely that they'll be busy working elsewhere but I can reel off 10 to begin with:

1. Ringo Starr
    2 Bill Szymczyk
    2. Waddy Wachtel
    3. Jeff Lynne
    4. Jay Ferguson
    5. George Perry
    6. Steve Winwood
    7. JD Souther
    8. Richard Marx
    9. Michael Stanley
    10. Taylor Hawkins

plus some mighty guitar heroes and several stars he's shared posters and stages with. He's going to bump into Stevie Nicks at the Henley show. She's written songs about Joe.
    It would be great if Joe had a similar birthday bash/concert. But it looks like the only superstars on your list are Ringo and possibly Richard Marx, although some of others are well-known. How about Kenny Chesney and Brad Paisley? Now there's some major name recognition.

Even though he's not a performer per se, didn't Bill Szymczyk play some guitar on one of Joe's albums? I suppose it's possible he's jammed on stage before somewhere.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Walsh is good friends with Jimmy Page, has been for years. He's also tight with Chrissie Hynde.

I didn't know that Walsh was friendly with Richard Marx. Joe didn't even remember playing that "Don't Mean Nothin'" session. I remember a radio interview with Joe (still in his drinking days, obviously) where he said when that record came out, people were complimenting him on his slide playing and he had no idea what they were talking about. He still didn't seem to know Marx, whom he referred to as "the young man."

Banned

I don't know how close Joe is, to any of his famous friends. Richard Marx credits Joe with the successful launch of his career through his appearance on his first hit single, Don't Mean Nothing in the 80s. They played it as an encore at a Walsh benefit show, just a few years ago. On another occassion, Richard got a surprise visit from Joe, as he was co-writing a future hit with another artist on a tour bus. (I can't remember the name of the track or artist ). Richard says Joe sprinkled some Walsh magic on the track although Joe didn't actually contribute anything musically.

Don Henley joked that asking friends and acquaintances to attend your celebrations, leaves you open to making a reciprocal appearance, so I guess that he would feel obliged to put in an appearance at a Walsh birthday bash, which I feel, would take the guest list up a notch. .

I named 10 musicians (Szymczyk has done backing vocals and percussion but mainly outstanding production, on Walsh albums) who I think would attend a Walsh celebration, if their diary is free.

There are many more I could have listed. Joe's recently toured with Bad Company, Tom Petty and Bob Seger. My own prejudices prevented me listing any country artists he's appeared on stage with.

Jimmy Page got his renowned Les Paul guitar from Joe. Pete Townsend also got his favorite guitar / amp, as a present, off Joe. He's pals with The Beatles, The Stones and The Who to name some major artists but the list is endless. I wonder how he got to meet all these stars! Joe seems to be a magnet for other musicians.

Stuck on the Border

Funk, if you want to know about Joe and The Who, take a look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Roadw...ght/1423413008
    I've written about it in the book thread (it has Eagles, too) and I recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I named 10 musicians (Szymczyk has done backing vocals and percussion but mainly outstanding production, on Walsh albums) who I think would attend a Walsh celebration, if their diary is free.

There are many more I could have listed. Joe's recently toured with Bad Company, Tom Petty and Bob Seger. My own prejudices prevented me listing any country artists he's appeared on stage with.
    Ok, I knew Szymczyk played something on Joe's albums. Thanks.

Joe sure has collaborated with lots of big names. If he's going to celebrate the span of his life and career with artists he's worked with, I would think he'd want to include some who made it big in this century. That means country folk. Unless he's worked with some hip-hop acts I don't know about.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Funk, if you want to know about Joe and The Who, take a look at https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Roadw...ght/1423413008
    I've written about it in the book thread (it has Eagles, too) and I recommend it.
    This sounds like a great book! I just ordered! Thanks UtW!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten