Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Vocal harmony conbination variations

Default Re: Vocal harmony conbination variations

Eagles harmonies is a great topic, and a favourite subject of mine.

I think there are 2,3,4 & 5 part harmonies in the Eagles songs.
    Don & Glenn do 2 part harmony quite often in the verse of songs.
    Don refers to the Eagles 5 part harmony in his intro to Hole in the World, on Farewell 1.

At live shows most of the supporting musicians sing also, either to add depth to the vocal lines or adding some 'ooohs & aaahs' etc,
    On studio albums the Eagles can take more than one vocal part each, but on tour they need some extra voices to replicate that sound.

Those of you who are newer 'Borderers' may not be aware of my 'interest' in Will Hollis, but because of it I'm aware that he takes on the role of 5th harmony & can often be seen singing when the other supporting musicians aren't (there are some good videos from HOTE in the US 2013 on YouTube where you can check this out). I guess that he may be singing the parts Don Felder used to sing.

Like some others have said, I'll need to watch & listen again to come up with which songs have 2,3,4 or 5 part harmonies.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    I think Glenn may not be singing on Twenty-One or Certain Kind of Fool
    Possibly not Twenty-One although I wouldn't know, but in CKOF the harmony in the line 'and it's a certain kind of fool who likes to hear the sound of his own NAME' , the world 'name' is clearly sung by Glenn as well as Randy. It's hard to miss it, in my view.

In concert, Don Henley sings no backing vocals at all in RMW & LBG.

Quote Originally Posted by StephUK View Post
    Eagles harmonies is a great topic, and a favourite subject of mine.

I think there are 2,3,4 & 5 part harmonies in the Eagles songs.
    Don & Glenn do 2 part harmony quite often in the verse of songs.
    Don refers to the Eagles 5 part harmony in his intro to Hole in the World, on Farewell 1.

At live shows most of the supporting musicians sing also, either to add depth to the vocal lines or adding some 'ooohs & aaahs' etc,
    On studio albums the Eagles can take more than one vocal part each, but on tour they need some extra voices to replicate that sound.

Those of you who are newer 'Borderers' may not be aware of my 'interest' in Will Hollis, but because of it I'm aware that he takes on the role of 5th harmony & can often be seen singing when the other supporting musicians aren't (there are some good videos from HOTE in the US 2013 on YouTube where you can check this out). I guess that he may be singing the parts Don Felder used to sing.

Like some others have said, I'll need to watch & listen again to come up with which songs have 2,3,4 or 5 part harmonies.
    Great post! Speaking of Felder, does Stuart Smith sing much? Or does he just play Felder's guitar parts?

Border Troubadour

From my observations he usually sings only on the 'everyone in' harmonies, e.g. choruses and 'desperado' at the end of D-D / D Reprise. Never recall seeing him sing when no other backing musicians are (there is the odd occasion where he sings but Joe doesn't however).

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    From my observations he usually sings only on the 'everyone in' harmonies, e.g. choruses and 'desperado' at the end of D-D / D Reprise. Never recall seeing him sing when no other backing musicians are (there is the odd occasion where he sings but Joe doesn't however).
    I think you're right TLR. Steuart does seem to be an 'everyone in' backing singer.

Although Joe's voice is strong & recognisable when he's singing lead vocals, I always find him the hardest to pick out in the harmonies. Don't know why this should be. Is it just me, or does anyone else have the same difficulty?

Although Joe's voice is strong & recognisable when he's singing lead vocals, I always find him the hardest to pick out in the harmonies. Don't know why this should be. Is it just me, or does anyone else have the same difficulty?
    It's probably because he's at the bottom most of the time, since he replaced Bernie

You're not the only one, Steph. I could never pick out Joe's voice, but that's kinda good. You really don't suppose to have a voice stand out (other than the person who's singing lead) when you're doing harmonies. You suppose to blend, but I guess it depends. There's usually three part harmony in a group or my case choir(usually the fourth singer sings most of the leads). So if there's more than three singing in a group, the others have to either sing high or low of one of those parts.

Sometimes when they do those 5 part harmonies, I really can't pick out everyone's voice. When I watch HOTE and they play Life In The Fast Lane, you can really hear Glenn's voice in the chorus.

Stuck on the Border

Yes. The only time I can really pick him out is Hole In The World in which Don appears to give him a nod of approval ('sing it Joe' unless I am mishearing that). I have tried as hard as I can to pick him out in other harmonies & I can't.

OK. I think I'm confuse myself. LOL Usually in harmony, you will usually have the high and low. Everybody else will sing in between those two. I think this is the case for Joe. He probably sings in between sometimes and probably sings the low parts sometimes because he can get low even though he has that high voice. Don can too. So he probably singing the low parts sometimes.