Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite TV Shows

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

AZ ~ I love the Evanovich/Plum books and they make me laugh like crazy too! I am DYING to find out that Bulgari Green smells like! I cant find it!

Have you read Charlaine Harris?? Just a reminder. The TV show made about her Southern Vampire series starts tonight on HBO! It's getting so-so reviews but WHAT do reviewers know? (see the Tulsa Eagles Concert reviews *grin*)

Im in to reading the Sue Grafton books right now and THAT will take some time. I just finished A is for Alibi *grin* I think she's up to U or V right now.

If you like funny I highly suggest Tim Dorsey or Christopher Moore. Especially Lamb by Chris Moore. Irreverent but very funny!

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I have some of the Charlaine Harris books and I like them. I don't get HBO so I can't watch the show. I also like the James Patterson "Women's Murder Club" series, Fern Michaels "Sisterhood" books and JD Robb "Murder In---" series. Can you tell I go for mysteries.

AZ ~ lol yeah I know what you mean. Me too. Charlaine Harris has three other mystery series. I just love her writing. I watched her show last night and I was thrilled. They stayed pretty close to the characters in the book, but they added A LOT of sex. (It's HBO, Of course they would!) If you can get by that, it was pretty true to the books. I was so worried it'd be all about SEXY VAMPIRES!! oooo but it's pretty well written! Harris's other series you might like are The Shakespeare Series about a character named Lily Bard who moves to Shakespeare, Arkansas. Then there's the Aurora Teagarden Series (which is slightly more light hearted but still a good mystery read! and has just been rereleased!) The Harper Connely series is good to but she see's dead people *grin*. She and her brother travel around finding lost dead bodies. Its a little more sci-fi but not spacey or dumb.

Right now Im reading a couple of books by Dai Sijie. Mr. Muo's traveling Couch. Dai Sijie was from a middle class family in China just before the revolution and was sent to a "redeucation" camp when he was 14, after Mao took over. He stayed there for 8 years. When he came out, he was allowed to go to school in England and he studied psychology and literature. He wrote Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, and Mr. Muo's Traveling Couch. Both books reflect his experiences so much, it makes for some great reading and a lot of insight similar to that of Khaled Hossseini. Not mysteries, but well written, somewhat funny and great reads!

Stuck on the Border AzEaglesFan's Avatar

I didn't know that Charlaine Harris wrote other series, thank you for the info. I live in a small town of 3,038 people so the library in very small but they will order books for me from other places. If all else fails I go to half price book store and buy them and then donate them to the library.

you also might check out the used books via Amazon. Thats where I've gotten several of my out of print books for as little as $.99 I even got a Rose's Delicatessen cook book signed! for $.99. Of course you have to pay shipping so it usually totals out at about $3.50 still well worth looking.

I must say I found this thread, and I just thought I'd bump it up, My favorite Shows are The Brady Bunch, Family Matters, George Lopez, basically anything on Nick at Nite or Tv Land. I always thought Greg Brady was very cute

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Has anyone seen the preview for ABC's new series called Flash Forward? It looks great and I guess it's based on a book. Some really great actors in it also like Joseph Fiennes (yummy) and Courtney B Vance. Here's the trailer for it if anyones interested. I don't get into tv shows much but I might have to check this one out.
    http://abc.go.com/watch/clip/flash-f...SH011579400000

I do try to occasionally catch Bones or House (which premiered last night). I happen to catch the season premiere of Two And A Half Men last night because I had heard Eddie Van Halen was on it. He was only briefly but it was really cute.

Any other new shows anyone is looking forward to?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

One new show I really like is Glee. My daughters and I have always sung in choirs, and this show about a high school glee club is funny, smart and entertaining.

I also love Two & A Half Men--I was so glad Jon Cryer won a best supporting actor Emmy for that show Sunday night; Medium; House; Diners, Drive-ins & Dives on Food Network--host Guy Fieri is a hoot on that show; and my favorite show is Grey's Anatomy. After that whiz-bang of a finale last May with both George and Izzy dying (although I hear Izzy is coming back this year) I cannot wait for the season premiere Thursday.

Border Desperado AmarilloByMorning's Avatar

I read about Flash Forward in Entertainment Weekly and if it manages to attain even one iota of its hype, you're in for one heck of a ride!

Largely due to my inability to sit still and stare at a telly, I only watch one show regularly, Mad Men on AMC. It makes me appreciate all the opportunities my predecessors fought so doggedly to acquire and upon which I have so gleefully seized. Chronicling the inner working of an advertising agency in the '60s, it furnishes a rather sharp slap in the face with every episode. How staggering that just forty-five years ago a law school would not even have admitted me, doctors looked right over a woman's head to address her husband about her medical concerns, and marrying to become a housewife in the country comprised the absolute pinnacle of female achievement. I wish I could find every female who pushed her way into the corporate environment and thank her personally. It's subtle, highly inspired and largely absent anachronisms - highly recommended.

I managed to endure the first season of True Blood but relinquished my interest after the Godric incident. It's just too much gore/blatant sex and not enough of the strong Sookie and complicated, integrated storylines that made the books such a treat.

Ooh, Flash Forward has Joseph Fiennes? I might watch it for that alone. I've adored him since Shakespeare in Love.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten