Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eagles greatest hits volume 1 ranked

Default Re: Eagles greatest hits volume 1 ranked

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Well, here is mine. In all truth, outside of my top three I had a hard time deciding. Out of all of these I think AG has aged the most but still love it.

1.) Take It Easy
    2.) Lying Eyes
    3.) Desperado
    4. ) One Of These Nights
    5.) Best Of My Love
    6.) Take It to the Limit
    7.) Peaceful Easy Feeling
    8.) Tequila Sunrise
    9.) Witchy Woman
    10.) Already Gone.
    I've seen that people use the word "aged" a negatively describe a song. What exactly does that mean?

I tried to rank only to realize that for me they are all good songs none more favorite then the other.

These are hard to rank b/c every song is great. My list is this:

1. One of These Nights --so different from anything they'd done before. Henley's vocals are top-notch and Felder's guitar virtually sings. Randy's backing vocals are out of this world; I like how he basically takes the lead on the chorus. The intro with that wonderful bass line has a sense of foreboding that is exciting and mysterious. The lyrics have poetic alliteration and imagery I find appealing. The band really stepped it up here.

2. Take It To the Limit--probably the most inspirational song in the band's catalog. It's not a run-of-the-mill love song and neither does it serve what is typically cynical Eagles fare. From blogs and other testimonials I've read, this song has changed lives. It's even inspired a movie title by the same name. Great job, Eagles!

3. Witchy Woman--the prequel to OOTN. The same eerie-like atmosphere with talk of the moon and shadows and dark characters. Glenn's guitar solo is expressive and sensual. It was this song where I first became aware of Randy's bass flourishes--how he changes up the bass line from time to time. Then there's Henley's gorgeous falsettos. This is my favorite song from the debut album.

4. Already Gone--high energy with great guitar work and vocal harmonies. This is probably the song that permanently imprinted Glenn's voice on my brain and I recognized it from then on. I always liked the line "and we never even know we have the key"--one of the best from all the band's songs.

5. Take It Easy--a classic. I love the lyrics, the banjo, everything. I remember thinking how cool it was that he had seven women on his mind and one he considered a good friend. Of course later I learned that wasn't exactly what he was saying.

6. Tequila Sunrise--another song where I initially misheard the lyrics
    7. Best of My Love
    8. Peaceful Easy Feeling
    9. Lyin Eyes
    10. Desperado

Really, #5, 6, 7, and 8 are interchangeable. The last two are ranked last simply b/c I heard them so much growing up--Lyin Eyes was on both the pop and country charts, then Clint Black's version of Desperado was everywhere, it seemed, back in the 90s. They are still great songs; I just don't always listen to them when they come up on the cd or on my iPod.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    I tried to rank only to realize that for me they are all good songs none more favorite then the other.
    That's exactly why I picked this album LOL I know it's hard. Trying to pick my top was hard but then when I saw how low ranked some of the other songs were it was awful because they are really good songs but not better than the ones at the top

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    These are hard to rank b/c every song is great. My list is this:

1. One of These Nights --so different from anything they'd done before. Henley's vocals are top-notch and Felder's guitar virtually sings. Randy's backing vocals are out of this world; I like how he basically takes the lead on the chorus. The intro with that wonderful bass line has a sense of foreboding that is exciting and mysterious. The lyrics have poetic alliteration and imagery I find appealing. The band really stepped it up here.

2. Take It To the Limit--probably the most inspirational song in the band's catalog. It's not a run-of-the-mill love song and neither does it serve what is typically cynical Eagles fare. From blogs and other testimonials I've read, this song has changed lives. It's even inspired a movie title by the same name. Great job, Eagles!

3. Witchy Woman--the prequel to OOTN. The same eerie-like atmosphere with talk of the moon and shadows and dark characters. Glenn's guitar solo is expressive and sensual. It was this song where I first became aware of Randy's bass flourishes--how he changes up the bass line from time to time. Then there's Henley's gorgeous falsettos. This is my favorite song from the debut album.

4. Already Gone--high energy with great guitar work and vocal harmonies. This is probably the song that permanently imprinted Glenn's voice on my brain and I recognized it from then on. I always liked the line "and we never even know we have the key"--one of the best from all the band's songs.

5. Take It Easy--a classic. I love the lyrics, the banjo, everything. I remember thinking how cool it was that he had seven women on his mind and one he considered a good friend. Of course later I learned that wasn't exactly what he was saying.

6. Tequila Sunrise--another song where I initially misheard the lyrics
    7. Best of My Love
    8. Peaceful Easy Feeling
    9. Lyin Eyes
    10. Desperado

Really, #5, 6, 7, and 8 are interchangeable. The last two are ranked last simply b/c I heard them so much growing up--Lyin Eyes was on both the pop and country charts, then Clint Black's version of Desperado was everywhere, it seemed, back in the 90s. They are still great songs; I just don't always listen to them when they come up on the cd or on my iPod.
    I had the same thing happen. I knew roughly the top half and the bottom half of my list but to arrange them became an issue. I'm surprised with how high you put witchy woman. I like it but many people it seems don't or at least think it's the worst song on the album

YEF-- When someone talks about a song sounding aged, it usually means the song sounds very much of its time and sounds dated, or that you could hear it and know exactly when it was released.

To me, very few of the Eagles' songs sound that dated. The later stuff more than their earlier songs, IMHO.

I really like the Bee Gees, for instance, but if you want a song that sounds very dated, "Stayin' Alive" hits every button. It was a huge hit, and I like the song, but I don't think there's any way you could extract the disco from it. It is absolutely of its time and couldn't have been released in any other decade. A couple of other examples that come to mind are "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell and "Der Kommissar" by After the Fire. Again, I like both songs, but they're 80s synth-pop up one side and down the other.

Hope that kind of answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I had the same thing happen. I knew roughly the top half and the bottom half of my list but to arrange them became an issue. I'm surprised with how high you put witchy woman. I like it but many people it seems don't or at least think it's the worst song on the album
    Well, I've always been a rebel, lol. Actually though, WW was the highest-charting single from the debut album (#8 ) and the only top 10 hit the band had until they struck gold with BOML from their 3rd album. So it would seem listeners preferred it, at least back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    YEF-- When someone talks about a song sounding aged, it usually means the song sounds very much of its time and sounds dated, or that you could hear it and know exactly when it was released.

To me, very few of the Eagles' songs sound that dated. The later stuff more than their earlier songs, IMHO.

I really like the Bee Gees, for instance, but if you want a song that sounds very dated, "Stayin' Alive" hits every button. It was a huge hit, and I like the song, but I don't think there's any way you could extract the disco from it. It is absolutely of its time and couldn't have been released in any other decade. A couple of other examples that come to mind are "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell and "Der Kommissar" by After the Fire. Again, I like both songs, but they're 80s synth-pop up one side and down the other.

I have to disagree about "Tainted Love" or "Der Kommissar" sounding dated. While much of it is subjective, a lot of contemporary dance music (EDM) is influenced by or incorporates the 80s synth sound. I hear it in some of Rihanna's music, for example. An Eagles song I believe sounds dated is "Is It True?", a song I really like but it sounds like a throwback to the 60s, IMO.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post

I don't agree about Stayin' Alive. I would suggest Tragedy is far more 'disco'.

A topic about 'dated' Eagles or solo songs, or songs by other artists, might be an idea.

Stuck on the Border

Pippin - Thanks and I agree. I love the Bee Gees but those disco songs(and all disco) just scream late 1970's. However, I do find myself watching the Bee Gees special on PBS every time it is on - lol. I love that SNF soundtrack, and I was never a fan of most disco.
    I think AG just sounds very much young Glenn and the Eagles in a way most of their songs don't. However, I still love the song and always turn up the radio and sing along when it comes on. I do agree that most Eagles songs do not sound dated. Amazing when you think about it and how good they still sound 38 - 45 years later.

Delilah - Great list and review for each song.

Those of us who are old enough to have actually experienced the disco era in real time either loved it or hated it.

Me?

Oh I, I love the nightlife
    I got to boogie
    On the disco 'round, oh yea
    Oh, I love the night life
    I got to boogie on the disco 'round, oh yea

It really was about the dancing and .. well ... you know.