Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Favorite Glenn Frey Vocal?

Default What is your Favorite Glenn Frey Vocal?

I'm talking strictly his singing voice and how much you enjoy it in the context of the song.

My favorite is Peaceful Easy Feeling.

I've enjoyed Glenn's vocals on this song from the first time I heard it on the radio back in the 70's. His voice is very mellow and intimate sounding from the beginning. It really reflects the vibe of the song. Then, in the second verse, his voice gets stronger as harmonizing vocals join in, only to calm back down during the "on the ground" part.

I believe strongly that it's Glenn's vocals on this song that make it such a visual song. Yes, the lyrics are great, but it's that mellow vibe that convinces you that he wants to sleep with you in the desert tonight, and he knows that you won't let him down.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: What is your Favorite Glenn Frey Vocal?

New Kid In Town

Thanks for starting this PM. I have a lot of favourite vocals both Eagles & solo, but NKIT is the one that literally stopped me in my tracks when I heard it one night in January 1977 at a market in Sydney.

There's a little-known song called "This Way to Happiness" (or at least, little-known outside of the fandom) on his Solo Collection which really features his vocal skills. It's a challenging song to sing, but be belts it out with such spirit that you can't help but smile.

UMG has it on YouTube - listen for yourself:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfOwBFRGvNw[/ame]

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

That's a very upbeat, powerful vocal that I've never heard, and of course there's that saxophone!

I don't know Glenn's solo stuff all that well, but it counts here, too.
    Last edited by Prettymaid; 02-18-2016 at 11:24 PM.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

His cover of Caroline No. the original from the beach boys is beautiful. But he totally did a great job. I cried for hours after hearing it

New Kid In Town and What Do I Do With My Heart.

New Kid IN Town: My favorite vocal part of the song is when he hits that high note during " and you're still around." I always go, "You go Glenn."

What Do I Do With My Heart: I go ga ga when I hear him sing this song. His vocals are so amazing throughout the song. I love when he's singing his heart out during the bridge and going into the last verse. His vocal range gets high during the bridge and the last voice. At mid to late 50s, his voice is still good and still hit those high notes. His voice is amazing when he's responding to the guys and Don during the last verse of the song.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 02-19-2016 at 12:50 AM.

You know, here's the first one that comes to mind: I always have the best time turning up the volume and belting out "Heartache Tonight" along with Glenn and the boys. He was just so much fun on that song! It's so "high-energy!" Makes me happy.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Outlaw Man: I first discovered this song at the age of 14, by accident. I don't remember how I found it, but I do remember hearing it on youtube for the first time and being both amazed, and blosn away by it, the ending verse, especially . I just love the grit and the gruff in Glenn's voice. Glenn really put his heart and soul into that vocal. To this day, Outlaw Man is my favorite Eagles song.

(From Glenn's solo career probably Smuggler's Blues)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

I absolutely love all of Glenn's songs, but the ones that are super special to me are: Lying Eyes, Soul Searching, A Walk In The Dark, and What Do I Do With My Heart! They put a huge smile on my face and love Glenn's vocal range in these! These songs got me through some tough times!

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

When I was little and my dad had "Their Greatest Hits" it was Already Gone (I was born in 1969)

Now AG is #2 to New Kid in Town. Such a special song. Honestly I don't know his solo stuff except for the hits, so I'm happy to hear some songs here I've never heard.