Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Glenn Frey Live"

Border Desperado

Default Re: Celebration of "Glenn Frey Live"

Bumping this thread to wish a very happy birthday to the recording of Glenn Frey Live in Dublin. Can it be that it has been 24 years since this show?!

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Happy 24th anniversary to the show!

Looking over this thread, I see that last year I made the comment about not knowing that there was a CD version and that I would have to get it soon. Well, "soon" took nearly a year. I bought a cassette tape of it a few months ago, but I ordered a CD copy from eBay a few days ago. The tracking info says that it should be here today. I don't like cassettes much as I find them annoying to play sometimes, so I'm glad to get it on CD.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

This one's an interesting concoction.

Stompers like "The Heat is On" and "Heartache Tonight" really aren't meant to be played in such intimate settings as a VH-1 special, and as such come off sounding a little watered-down. "Love in the 21st Century" is an improvement over the original. Most of his other solo performances on this album tack very close to the originals.

He does, however, make efforts at adding flavour to the Eagles songs. The idea of doing a medley of "Lyin' Eyes" and "Take it Easy" was almost pure genius, though it does fail at melding the two stories together cleanly and creating a whole new story(I did this in fusing together Tom Petty's songs "Free Fallin'" and "Into the Great Wide Open"). Was nice to hear a Frey-lead vocal for "Desperado." That said, the condensed version of "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" is only for those who are fans of brevity as opposed to the whole song.

The one entirely 'new' song(as in, never released by Glenn or the Eagles prior to this album) is his cover of the Byrds' "Wild Mountain Thyme," which is far and away the best song on this album and the best version of the song.

I do have a serious misgiving with the way the tracks are cut. For instance, the part where Frey is talking about "Wild Mountain Thyme" is featured at the end of "The One You Love," and the part where he's talking about "Strange Weather" is featured at the end of WMT. It makes better sense to feature these little introductory bits at the beginning of the songs being introduced. When I go to do videos for these songs, I'll be sure to re-cut them into the proper form.

All in all, this one probably doesn't rise to the level of "Eagles Live" or the recently-released '86 radio broadcast, but it does have some very worthwhile tracks.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WS82Classics View Post
    This one's an interesting concoction.

Stompers like "The Heat is On" and "Heartache Tonight" really aren't meant to be played in such intimate settings as a VH-1 special, and as such come off sounding a little watered-down. "Love in the 21st Century" is an improvement over the original. Most of his other solo performances on this album tack very close to the originals.

He does, however, make efforts at adding flavour to the Eagles songs. The idea of doing a medley of "Lyin' Eyes" and "Take it Easy" was almost pure genius, though it does fail at melding the two stories together cleanly and creating a whole new story(I did this in fusing together Tom Petty's songs "Free Fallin'" and "Into the Great Wide Open"). Was nice to hear a Frey-lead vocal for "Desperado." That said, the condensed version of "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" is only for those who are fans of brevity as opposed to the whole song.

The one entirely 'new' song(as in, never released by Glenn or the Eagles prior to this album) is his cover of the Byrds' "Wild Mountain Thyme," which is far and away the best song on this album and the best version of the song.

I do have a serious misgiving with the way the tracks are cut. For instance, the part where Frey is talking about "Wild Mountain Thyme" is featured at the end of "The One You Love," and the part where he's talking about "Strange Weather" is featured at the end of WMT. It makes better sense to feature these little introductory bits at the beginning of the songs being introduced. When I go to do videos for these songs, I'll be sure to re-cut them into the proper form.

All in all, this one probably doesn't rise to the level of "Eagles Live" or the recently-released '86 radio broadcast, but it does have some very worthwhile tracks.
    But it isn't an intimate setting or a TV special. It was recorded & fIlmed at Dublin's National Stadium. It was part of a proper European tour.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    But it isn't an intimate setting or a TV special. It was recorded & fIlmed at Dublin's National Stadium. It was part of a proper European tour.

My very bad. I was under the impression all along that it was filmed as some sort of a VH-1/MTV special.

Oof...

ETA: I confused the VHS tape the concert was first released on with the VH-1 television channel. My mind is a mysterious being...
    Last edited by WS82Classics; 07-09-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border

I bought this to hear Glenn sing Desperado and wasn't disappointed. Tomorrow will the third anniversary of my purchase. I like the concert but not as much as the 1982 bootleg.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Happy 23rd anniversary to release of Live in Dublin
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 'GLENN FREY LIVE'.

I thought about playing the CD during my commute time today, but somehow I didn't think it would be a good idea. I would have probably have to pull off the road when Wild Mountain Thyme and Desperado came on. Love this album, as well as the DVD.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I love them too Dreamer ❤️❤️. And I've really had to exercise self control or pull in as well when certain songs come on. Will we ever get used to this Brave New World that we have to exist in?
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border

This week, I found a PAL VHS tape on eBay and made an offer which was accepted. Now I've just got to work out how to connect that old VHS player. Will it still work?