Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Allnighter"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "The Allnighter"

FP - So true......

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Amen Pippin - Agree 100%. Although, Glenn did not help himself when he constantly talked about hoping to one day be a good a song writer as Don. I can't tell you how many times I remember reading it in an interview. He never gave himself enough credit for his song writing or guitar playing, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    Or his singing.
    Agreed... to all of it! (You, too, Pippin!)

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    But because they were in the same band, they are always compared, just as Lennon/McCartney & Gabriel/Collins were. And inevitably, the comparison always favours Henley just as it does Lennon & Gabriel.

I do wish Glenn had written more 'serious' songs on his first couple of albums but he didn't want to. He wanted to enjoy himself & also pay tribute to the music he grew up with.
    Yes, I think Glenn followed his heart when paying tribute to the music he grew up with. Glenn could have tooted his own horn but I am of the opinion he could not and would not have done so comfortably. Glenn was a natural entertainer and frontman. He was never a show off. Far too humble.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

But because they were in the same band, they are always compared, just as Lennon/McCartney & Gabriel/Collins were. And inevitably, the comparison always favours Henley just as it does Lennon & Gabriel.

I do wish Glenn had written more 'serious' songs on his first couple of albums but he didn't want to. He wanted to enjoy himself & also pay tribute to the music he grew up with.
    Separate question, but what songs are his more serious songs? I can tell the first two albums are less serious and obviously designed for fun and enjoyment. But I don’t know at what point that changed

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Separate question, but what songs are his more serious songs? I can tell the first two albums are less serious and obviously designed for fun and enjoyment. But I don’t know at what point that changed

Well, Smuggler's Blues is obviously 'serious' as is the title track of Soul Searchin', but he didn't really write a whole album of more 'serious' songs until Strange Weather. Although songs like All Those Lies & Living In Darkness are 'darker' in tone they are personal songs, not 'issue' songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    I've said it before: if you're a Paul McCartney fan, you hear the same darn thing over and over about his music being plastic and shallow while John was the artiste -- the GENIUS!

It's all very tiring. Glenn knew his strengths were in writing good songs people want to sing. Don can write good songs, too. However, when Glenn made a social point, it was usually more subtle and not preachy. Plus he helped a lot of people and organizations and just never made a big deal of it. There's no telling how many people got a check and had no idea where it came from. I'm not saying Don doesn't give to charity or anything like that at all. I'm just saying Glenn was quiet about it.

For some reason, some people always equate preachy with genius. Genius comes in many forms and sometimes it lies in being able to connect with people and write songs that make them feel better about how their day is going. None is superior to the other.

Amen!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Amen Pippin - Agree 100%. Although, Glenn did not help himself when he constantly talked about hoping to one day be a good a song writer as Don. I can't tell you how many times I remember reading it in an interview. He never gave himself enough credit for his song writing or guitar playing, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    ...or his singing.
    So true. His modesty reached the point of ridiculous self-deprecation sometimes, like the infamous "Without Don Henley we'd be Air Supply" comment, and if he truly believed that, it makes me sad.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I have always disagreed with the notion that songs that are political, dealing with current social issues, etc. are superior. Not saying they can't be excellent and worthy of praise. Those songs, however, can become dated rather quickly; leaving young people to wonder what they were about. Fun songs and more personal songs are universal, and transcend generations.
    Don and Glenn's partnership worked so well, IMO, because each brought different things to the table. Comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges.
    When he did write serious songs, Glenn wrote matter-of-factly, rather than preachy or accusatory. That's a talent in itself! He could make you think, but mainly, he made you smile! In that, he had a real gift!
    So happy birthday to "The Allnighter", an album that showed that Glenn could write fun or serious, romantic or sexy!
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Here is an article about the album.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/glenn-frey-allnighter/

NOTE: This article was also quoted a couple of pages back in this thread. It would be nice if the UCR website would come up with updated information.
    Im not sure what you mean. What needs to be updated?

Happy Belated Anniversary to The Allnighter!!

This is possibly my favorite Glenn solo album. I enjoy all the tracks except for Living in Darkness. I’m not a big fan of the type of falsetto he uses here. Otherwise his voice shines. He’s a very romantic-type of singer. By that I don’t mean in a sappy lovey-dovey sense, but in an idealistic, positive way.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Im not sure what you mean. What needs to be updated?

Happy Belated Anniversary to The Allnighter!!

This is possibly my favorite Glenn solo album. I enjoy all the tracks except for Living in Darkness. I’m not a big fan of the type of falsetto he uses here. Otherwise his voice shines. He’s a very romantic-type of singer. By that I don’t mean in a sappy lovey-dovey sense, but in an idealistic, positive way.

The article is a couple of years old & has already been referred to in this thread. They could have updated the incorrect information that Glenn & Jack only started writing together with this album. They could have tried to give a fresh perspective instead of posting something several years old.