Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Vocal harmony conbination variations

Default Re: Vocal harmony conbination variations

It always sounded to me like Henley/Felder sing the verses and Frey/Mesiner sing the harmony and the "play on el chingadero"

I think it's Felder / Henley on the verse and Frey / Henley on "Play on Chingadero" (per Felder).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Banned

The One Of These Nights album credits;

Visions: Lead vocal and lead guitar by Don Felder

Good job Felder didn't sing Victim Of love or Those Shoes. They wouldn't sound right with an amalgamation of voices.

Visions must be the only Eagles track where the lead vocals are questionable, except maybe King Of Hollywood.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I cannot imagine anyone but Don Henley singing Those Shoes or VoL. I guess I feel that way about most songs he sings. Good choice by the Eagles!

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I must admit when I first heard King Of Hollywood I really wasn't too sure who was singing it, but once you know why it's different from usual (with Don singing the lower part and Glenn the higher part, the opposite to the more expected vocal combination - listen to the shared vocal on Good Day In Hell as a contrast) then it makes sense. I can clearly tell that it's Don and Glenn, unlike the rather indistinct combination of voices on Visions.

Couldn't agree more about the vocals on VOL and Those Shoes, especially the former - the fact that Don Felder himself acknowledged that Henley's voice was better for that song tells you a lot. Had I not known about the plans for Felder to sing those two songs, I wouldn't have ever thought that anyone other than Henley would have even been considered to sing those two, his voice just suits them both perfectly I think.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    The One Of These Nights album credits;

Visions: Lead vocal and lead guitar by Don Felder

Good job Felder didn't sing Victim Of love or Those Shoes. They wouldn't sound right with an amalgamation of voices.

Visions must be the only Eagles track where the lead vocals are questionable, except maybe King Of Hollywood.
    Nobody said the lead vocals on Visions were by anyone except Felder. It was the harmonies we were discussing.

Stuck on the Border

I've always thought that the main vocal in Visions is Felder harmonizing with himself. I don't hear any other voice "jumping" from the mix. Usually I seem to hear Glenn no matter who he sings with. There are three people singing the "short people are just the same..." bit in Short People, for example, and Glenn is all I hear!
    Last edited by chaim; 03-07-2015 at 05:29 PM.

Stuck on the Border

But Glenn is so easy to hear in 'don't you ever think about the other side', 'you & me oughta be takin' a ride' and 'the boy didn't love you anyhow' that it surprises me you would say that.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    But Glenn is so easy to hear in 'don't you ever think about the other side', 'you & me oughta be takin' a ride' and 'the boy didn't love you anyhow' that it surprises me you would say that.
    I clearly hear Glenn in those bits - always have - but I consider them background vocals. I was talking about the "main" vocal part:

Go ahead and live all your fantasies
    Helps you get from where you are to where you want to be

etc.

That "main vocal" is where I think Felder is harmonizing with himself.

The "background vocal" part is another example where I hear Glenn, but I have no idea who's singing with him.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    Not the world's best title but it's the best and most concise I could muster. Basically, I was listening to an Eagles song the other day (can't recall which) and during one of the harmonies I began to wonder what sort of different combinations of harmonies the guys have recorded over the years? Obviously they all do the chorus to Lyin' Eyes (no matter who was a member at the point in time) and Glenn and Henley have a few where just they sing together, but I was wondering are there any songs where there's a three part harmony with Henley-Glenn andJoe (or anyone else, I think TBS has a few), or really back in the day any which Henley or Glenn didn't sing?
    I watched the 1973 BBC video of Peaceful Easy Feeling recently and realised that it's just Glenn, Bernie and Randy singing. About 2 minutes into the song, there's a shot where Don is in the background and he's not singing whereas the other three can all be heard.

This got me wondering whether Don sang "Silver Daggers". It's impossible to see in the BBC concert, but in the 1972 Central Park performance, Don is clearly shown singing.