Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

@NKIT: Thanks for the heads-up about the book. The hubs just saw it on the shelf and got it for me. LOL. But I started looking at all his "sources" and all the anonymous interviews just kind of made me suspicious.

Yeah, when you devote 12 pages to one band member, 6 to one, and two to the other one, that's pretty telling. And I THOUGHT Glenn's dad -- the man who raised him -- came into the picture pretty early on. And there's also the bit about Randy getting married when he was 14. I didn't think any state would have allowed that, even with parental consent, by 1962 or so. So I'm reading with a wary eye. Heh.

But the part about the Teflon being used in the nasal surgery made me sit up and wonder. And if Linda R. had the same surgery -- with Teflon -- and now she has Parkinson's, well, it really does look like there may be a connection.

Hope you had a good Christmas!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    @NKIT: Thanks for the heads-up about the book. The hubs just saw it on the shelf and got it for me. LOL. But I started looking at all his "sources" and all the anonymous interviews just kind of made me suspicious.

Yeah, when you devote 12 pages to one band member, 6 to one, and two to the other one, that's pretty telling. And I THOUGHT Glenn's dad -- the man who raised him -- came into the picture pretty early on. And there's also the bit about Randy getting married when he was 14. I didn't think any state would have allowed that, even with parental consent, by 1962 or so. So I'm reading with a wary eye. Heh.
    But the part about the Teflon being used in the nasal surgery made me sit up and wonder. And if Linda R. had the same surgery -- with Teflon -- and now she has Parkinson's, well, it really does look like there may be a connection.
    Hope you had a good Christmas!
    Thanks Pippin I had a very nice Christmas. I just want to clarify that I meant that Linda R. had two nasal surgeries. I have no idea the ins and outs regarding them other than she had surgery twice(stated in book Hotel Calif.). I do know that both illness can also be inhert.
    Randy was 17 when he married his first wife, not 14. Like I said, he has a lot of wrong info in the book. Most of the first edition of the book was written with anonymous sources. He does give a good background of the record industry in LA in the late 1960's and early 70's. Let me know what you think of it when you finish it.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 12-29-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Default Re: Eagles books

I moved the posts about To The Limit here because there looks to be a bit of a discussion regarding the book.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I recently read - well, skimmed - Patti Davis' 1992 memoir "The Way I See It." The esteemed Forum member Scarlet Sun told us (in the "What's Going On in Your Life?" thread) that there was Bernie/Eagles content. So! Off to the library I went.

Good news: she's actually not a bad writer. She's able to paint a visual scene in relatively few words. I could vividly picture Bernie's tiny hillside home in Topanga and the flowering acacia under which they had their first romantic encounter.

Bad news: Ms. Davis gives precious little content about other people. She may be protecting their privacy or, as one Amazon reviewer asserted, is simply not very interested in anyone but herself. We hear nothing about the other Eagles band members or how they reacted to her presence on tour. What she says about Bernie: he's one of ten kids. He was worried about being killed in a plane crash, so he and Patti traveled to gigs in a camper for awhile. They remain friends. That's pretty much it.

Bonus: Davis was also involved with Dennis Wilson of the Beach Boys, around the same time, and writes movingly about him. They shared a common bond of being abused as children.

NMB, Thanks for the heads up .. I need to go to my library and see if they have her book -if not they will order from another branch. I first read Heaven and Hell courtesy of my local library before buying a used copy at a garage sale for $1 which is no relationship to the condition or quality of the book. The sellers had priced all hardbacks at a buck and paperbacks 25 cents. They had a lot of cool stuff I was in heaven lol!

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Thanks for the summation, NMB. Would you recommend it's worth an Eagles fan's time to hunt it down?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

No, not really. She gives no insight into the band or Bernie or anything that was going on around them at the time. Ms. Davis goes into more detail about the homes she and Bernie lived in during this time.

She claims that the Eagles didn't want to record "I Wish You Peace" because they didn't want to use "outside" writers anymore. No mention of Tom Leadon's co-writing credit on "Hollywood Waltz."

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    No, not really. She gives no insight into the band or Bernie or anything that was going on around them at the time. Ms. Davis goes into more detail about the homes she and Bernie lived in during this time.

She claims that the Eagles didn't want to record "I Wish You Peace" because they didn't want to use "outside" writers anymore. No mention of Tom Leadon's co-writing credit on "Hollywood Waltz."
    That would make sense to me but with JD helping out with NKIT bad VOL, plus re-recording ITC (couple other outside writers), it doesn’t seem that represented how they felt about it. Maybe they changed their mind

Or maybe that's what Bernie told her, rather than "they just don't like you" or "it's really more of a 'no girlfriends' policy."

If anyone else picks up the Davis book, let me know if she implies that she wrote "I Wish You Peace" on her own - that's the impression I got. She was all, "Bernie wanted my song because he hadn't written anything he liked" (paraphrase) and OOTN was almost finished. Though Glenn and Henley wrote most of the songs, Bernie and Randy always got one featured song per album, she says. She doesn't seem to know about "Journey of the Sorcerer" but maybe that doesn't count because it's an instrumental.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book, NMB. I’m surprised Bernie didn’t like Hollywood Waltz but maybe that’s b/c Henley changed all the lyrics.

FWIW, Laura Jackson writes in Eagles Flying High that Patti said ‘I didn’t know when I sat on my bed one night, writing a song, that it would increase the tensions that already existed.’ According to the book, Patti presented what she had to Bernie, who helped her finish it. He was determined to have it included on the album. Even though it appears the Eagles had a new rule about not using outside lyricists, the author opines that the band simply did not care for the song.

The author doesn’t provide a direct source for Patti’s quote, although her list of acknowledgements includes a variety of newspapers and magazines. Which is why I’m more skeptical of its contents than other Eagles books. She also writes that Don H and Glenn “brought in” Randy as a co-lyricist on TITTL.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...