Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe doing Desperado (and Henley not liking it!)

Default Re: Joe doing Desperado (and Henley not liking it!)

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I remembered people talking about Joe singing Take It To The Limit and thought the song wasn't right for him, but I think it was IABD who said its not execution or quantity of the performance. It was the thought that counts.
    Agreed. Joe is recognizing that it's not just "business as usual" when he dedicates that song to Glenn and performs it in his memory. I appreciate that.

Heck if Don is not happy with other person (or even members) singing songs they weren't part of or sing on, Don F would be getting rid of half his setlist.
    It's not like Don H can force Felder to stop playing Eagles songs, and I doubt Felder concerns himself with whether or not Don H is pleased with his choices. I speculate that Don H is scornful of Felder's setlist (especially the songs Felder plays which were recorded before he joined the band), but I'm sure Don H doesn't let it keep him up at night, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    I tried watching the video. I couldn't finished. It was just hard to watch Joe and then Sam Kenison playing electric guitar on an acoustic guitar like song(He wasn't bad. I didn't know he played guitar. He's good) didn't help. Its not bad. I think its just the electric guitar turned me off. It was just weird.

Now I've heard Joe sing Desperado sober and its not bad. I remembered people talking about Joe singing Take It To The Limit and thought the song wasn't right for him, but I think it was IABD who said its not execution or quantity of the performance. It was the thought that counts. But I know these two cases are very different.

Today. Don probably doesn't care what Joe plays in his set. I don't think Joe stopped having LITFL in his setlist. Heck if Don is not happy with other person (or even members) singing songs they weren't part of or sing on, Don F would be getting rid of half his setlist.

I do want to say this. Joe did a good job playing Desperado. I always love seeing playing the piano or organ.
    TBH, I think Joe's version of TITTL was VERY good and I thought not only was the thought great but his version ranks right up there with Glenn's. Randy's is still my favorite, of course, it's the original. Just like Desperado. But I appreciate the variations on them, including Glenn's version of Desperado and TITTL.

I guess I don't mind the electric on it, but I'm biased. If I had it my way all electric songs should stay electric and all acoustic songs should go to electric, lol. But I'm definitely biased, I'm more of a loud rock guy and I like electric guitars.

I guess some people don't like Joe's rougher voice on softer songs like Desperado or TITTL but I think they rank right up there with everyone else. It brings a different flair to it. And in the case of TITTL, it's very touching and it shows how much he liked Glenn and that it really affected him. It's a wonderful tribute and shame on anyone who poo-poo's it just because it's not the original or that his voice in their opinion isn't a good fit. TBH, I felt the same about Glenn singing but I adjusted to it and liked it a lot. YMMV. The original though is something special.

Thanks everyone. Obviously some like it, some won't but to me it was a lighthearted thing as the Eagles were always such big perfectionists and so formal (especially in the second half of the band) and it's nice to change it up. Its good to hear it done that way and I think it's a breath of fresh air at times.

To tell the truth. I love hearing Joe sing ballads. He can be a softy when he can when he sings ballads. People will always remember Joe more for his rocking and edgy uptempo songs then his ballads.

Austin. I love electric guitar driven songs too, it was just weird with Desperado since this song is more a piano driven song throughout the song. Don't get me wrong. Sam did a great job on the electric guitar. It just wasn't right with this song.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    TBH, I think Joe's version of TITTL was VERY good and I thought not only was the thought great but his version ranks right up there with Glenn's. Randy's is still my favorite, of course, it's the original. Just like Desperado. But I appreciate the variations on them, including Glenn's version of Desperado and TITTL.

I guess I don't mind the electric on it, but I'm biased. If I had it my way all electric songs should stay electric and all acoustic songs should go to electric, lol. But I'm definitely biased, I'm more of a loud rock guy and I like electric guitars.

I guess some people don't like Joe's rougher voice on softer songs like Desperado or TITTL but I think they rank right up there with everyone else. It brings a different flair to it. And in the case of TITTL, it's very touching and it shows how much he liked Glenn and that it really affected him. It's a wonderful tribute and shame on anyone who poo-poo's it just because it's not the original or that his voice in their opinion isn't a good fit. TBH, I felt the same about Glenn singing but I adjusted to it and liked it a lot. YMMV. The original though is something special.

Thanks everyone. Obviously some like it, some won't but to me it was a lighthearted thing as the Eagles were always such big perfectionists and so formal (especially in the second half of the band) and it's nice to change it up. Its good to hear it done that way and I think it's a breath of fresh air at times.

From what I heard of Joe's TITTL the backing singers sang most of it. So saying it's up there with Glenn's version....

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    From what I heard of Joe's TITTL the backing singers sang most of it. So saying it's up there with Glenn's version....
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHexiqCPgtg[/ame]

Sure sounds like Joe's voice to me. lol He gives the second verse to a guy but he does sing most of it and it was great.

Stuck on the Border

Alright then. They sang most of it after the first verse.

There seems to be some idea that because Glenn's vocals were 'smooth' they were somehow less 'real' than vocals like this where mistakes are made in the lyrics or in the case of Desperado are sung while under the influence. Glenn was smooth, yes. But he meant & felt what he sang. Now I know that in the case of TITTL the thought was most important, but that isn't going to make me agree that Joe & his band sang it to Glenn's standards.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-17-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Alright then. They sang most of it after the first verse.

There seems to be some idea that because Glenn's vocals were 'smooth' they were somehow less 'real' than vocals like this where mistakes are made in the lyrics or in the case of Desperado are sung while under the influence. Glenn was smooth, yes. But he meant & felt what he sang. Now I know that in the case of TITTL the thought was most important, but that isn't going to make me agree that Joe & his band sang it to Glenn's standards.
    Not at all FP. Never did I say it was more real or that I even thought that. I PREFER the original versions of all of these songs we are talking about. But I'm also free to enjoy other takes on the same songs, including Glenn's versions.

I'm saying it's DIFFERENT, not more real/better/etc. Which is the charm for me.

Heck, my favorite singer of all time has a smooth voice. I have nothing against smooth voices or performances. None in the least. For that matter, it'd be cool to hear a harder edged voiced song redone with a smoother singer. It's all good.

I'm just saying it's a nice change of pace. It's nice hearing the same song sung with different styles of voices be it raspy, smooth, harsh, gravelly, whatever.

Border Desperado

Glenn did Desparado at the piano on Letterman some years ago and it was great.

Personally, TITTL is so Randy I don't think anybody else can do it justice. I didn't care for Glen's version and I wasn't really keen in Joe's either. Felder's base player did it when I saw him in May..it was actually pretty good, but I'd like to retire that song unless Randy is singing. It's just too personal!

Banned

The Eagles did retire Take It To The Limit when Randy left the band, even though it was the highlight of an Eagles concert. It was a disappointment that Randy didn't return for Hell Freezes Over to sing it once again.

It was still great when they brought it back, with a more subdued arrangement, with Glenn on lead vocals, for the new millennium.

Don's "MC" version of Life In The Fast Lane and mariachi trombones version of Hotel California shows he wasn't as precious about his music after HFO as he was before it. I think he's said recently that he doesn't even remember complaining about Joe singing Eagles tunes in the 80s / early 90s.

I wonder if Don attended one of those Ringo Starr shows, when Joe sang Desperado. I'm sure Ringo is one of Don's idols. It was Ringo's first tour since The Beatles stopped touring in the mid 60s afaik.

Stuck on the Border

It seems that Joe performed Life in the Fast Lane on tv in 1989 and maybe that's what prompted Henley's complaint about Joe performing it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GjjSFDrh7c

Also interesting that Joe is backed by Jack Mack and the Heart Attack, although I'm assuming Max Carl had moved on.